Help

ARCHIVE

Smartboard 10

>

kathy

Smartboard 10
Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

notebook 10 just came out today...........cool features!

kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

tell more
Old 04-15-2008, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have a SmartBoard can you download the new notebook? What are the cool features??
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Yes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes you can, but you have to have the serial number for your SMARTboard in order to download the software.
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Notebook 10
Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To download Notebook 10 (only available to people that have SmartBoards, since you'll need a serial #) go to
http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/P...d=HPNotebook10

I've got it loaded (couldn't wait!) but haven't played with it yet. There are drivers that you need to download, too. With Notebook 10.0, you can create tables, animate objects, create themes and more.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It really is amazing. I was at the Ontario Conference a week and a half ago, and they previewed it for us. When they got to the tables (yes, tables!) feature, the auditorium literally broke out into applause!

I've played with it a bit today - I'm thrilled!

A couple highlights:
A "fill" tool for shapes.
A "shape pen" - basically, you draw a circle, and it snaps to a perfect circle. You draw a square and it snaps to a perfect square, etc.
Animations - similar to Powerpoint style - can be added.
And with the tables, you can screen shade each individual cell, and delete cells but still keep the basic shape of the table. At the conference, they showed a cross word puzzle with screen shades (hiding the answer - you click to remove). They had created it by removing individual cells. VERY slick!
The spotlight and magnifier features have been improved greatly, IMO.

dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Never needed the serial number before
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We've never needed that before to download a new version. Where is the serial number on the board?
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much for posting this. I can't wait to get to school and download my newer version I wonder if my Tech person knows that it's available?? I'm on spring break-so I'll have to be patient a few more days.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Serial Number
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Look on the back of the board. It should start with SB. It's down in the middle towards the bottom on the back.

School Time

didn't need it
Old 04-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I downloaded it today but didn't need the serial number.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

30 days
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Without the serial number, it is a limited 30 day download I think.

Guy

Guy

Teacher
Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd love to explore the new features of the Version 10 software but no such luck. I downloaded it and installed it, and I did install both the software AND the drivers (there were problems with people downloading one or the other before they were combined into a single package). But the Connection Wizard told me no Smartboard was connected. It was connected, like it always has been. I uninstalled and went back to Version 9 which worked perfectly with the Smartboard. I then tried downloading the software and drivers separately and installed them separately. Exactly the same: I was told no Smartboard was connected. So I uninstalled again, leaving the board connected and Version 9 worked perfectly again.

I told Windows Firewall not to block the Version 10 software and even disabled it to rule it out as a problem. Fact is, there's no connection problem because it all works fine in 9 but not in 10, so it's obviously a software issue. Make sure you have a Version 9 restore point on your computer so you can go back if necessary.

Lottalove

Guy
Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Did you restart/reboot your compter after the install? Once before, my SB connection will sent that same message--I knew nothing had changed so I unplug and re-did the SB USB cord and then restarted my computer. It went through the "Found new hardware" wizard and reconnected me. It hasn't happened since.

Last edited by Lottalove; 07-13-2008 at 05:45 AM..
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Guy

Guy

Version 10 doesn't work
Old 07-13-2008, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yes, I did - I rebooted several times, and tried unplugging and replugging the USB port. You could tell from Windows Device Manager that the Smartboard is connected - it's just the Smartboard 10 drivers and software that won't see it. It's a complete mystery and very frustrating. I did have this issue with Version 9 when I was using the Zone Alarms firewall but all I had to do was allow the Smartboard program in Zone Alarms and it was fine. I am now using the Vista firewall and have told it not to block Smartboard but it makes no difference, even if I disable the firewall.

soph

Have you tried?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Have you tried contacting Smart's tech support? They could help.

roo

Guy
Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

With my laptop, every time I install a new version of Notebook, I have to uninstall the old one first or it won't work correctly. They can't figure out why, but that's the way it works. This past time, I had to reinstall notebook 9, uninstall it again to make sure I got rid of everything, and then install notebook 10 again, before everything was recognized properly. Maybe this could be worth a try for you? I second the suggestion to contact smarttech's tech. support. They are fantastic!
Guy

Guy

Problem resolved - manual uninstall essential
Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thanks Roo - you were right. Although the Version 10 software claims to be uninstalling the old version first, it doesn't do it properly. So, this time I uninstalled Version 9 manually, rebooted and then installed Version 10. This time it did work and found the Smartboard immediately. Although the Smartboard technical help people did respond initially to my query, they didn't suggest a manual uninstall of Version 9 first and only raised possibilities I had already ruled out. I wrote to them to say that, but they haven't responded at all. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion which has saved the day.

roo

Guy
Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That's great news! I'm so glad I was able to be of some help. It's very frustrating, isn't it? I found it especially so, when no one else was having trouble, and I have quite a bit more installation experience than they do...I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong.
You aren't using an HP laptop by any chance are you? (Just wondering if it's unique to that particular brand/type?)
Guy

Guy

Laptop type
Old 07-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi Roo - no, it's an Acer Aspire 3680 running Vista Basic. I've been using computers for 20 or more years and have a great deal of experience in installing and operating software, so it was indeed very frustrating. I suspect we aren't the only ones who have come across this. On Version 9 I found that my Zone Alarms firewall blocked the SB software until I specifically allowed it; I don't use ZA any more as it created quite a few issues like that. So, I do think SB software needs more help up-front to make sure it works as it clearly has quite a few issues depending on circumstances.

ClaireAnne

Notebook 10 set up on home computer
Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

To install on our home computer our district tech person had me -
1. dump my old version
2. gave me an application called Board95Cleanup to clean up all old stuff
3. install smartboard drivers
4. install Notebook10
5. gave me a Notebook 10 product key to use during set up

You might drop your tech person (if you have one) an email and ask for help.

Some awesome features Notebook 10 has are crossword generator, sodoku, graphic animator, time line, memory game, dominoes, balloon pop, letter and vowel generator....
Can't wait to take a Notebook 10 class in the fall.
ClaireAnne is offline   Reply With Quote