What is your classroom management style? - ProTeacher Community

nessal

What is your classroom management style?
Old 04-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the process of interview for a new position and one of the many questions I am probably going to be asked is what is your classroom management style? Should I state a specific classroom management style ex: Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline Plan, or do you think it would be alright to say I do a varied of classroom management techniques? Anyone have any suggestions or how would you answer this question??

nessal is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Old 04-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is what I always say in interviews and it has served me well:

I believe in a preventative approach to classroom management. I set up my classroom to be student centered and child friendly. I establish and actively teach the behaviors I expect and the consequences if they do not conform to my expectations. I make an effort to connect with each of my students personally and to learn as much about their learning styles, strengths, and areas of challenge so I can anticipate (and thus avoid) areas where they will have difficulties. I set logical and reasonable consequences and when necessary enforce them in a calm, consistent way.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote

apm

Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would say something along the same lines as SaraLara. If you combine many types of management, then you should explain that. I would also incorporate something about the classroom as a community, and working together to establish and enforce rules (giving students the responsibility for their behavior).

There is no one right or wrong way to manage your classroom. Whatever works best for you...
apm is offline   Reply With Quote