ARCHIVE

love and logic and homework

>

thenewme

thenewme

love and logic and homework
Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I read Love and Logic over spring break, and think the philospophy is worth trying. I did a lot of questioning today, and I loved the results.

Up to now I have taken away recess for no homework, with no success. How have others, using Love and Logic, approached the "no homework" problem. I'd love to hear other's strategies. Thank you.

JRichard

Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do the same sort of thing, but I phrase it as a choice, "You may choose to do your homework at home and turn it in or time, or you may stay after school with me and complete it then. It's up to you!" I say this with a giddy smile on my face and I practice being really happy to give them the choice--not focusing on the negatives.

I also do this with videos. My classroom has to be pretty dark for the kids to see the videos and they tend to get sleepy. I do not show videos often and I make sure to limit them to 30 minutes max. With this in mind, I offer the following choice before each video, "You may pay attention and watch the video now or attend my afterschool showing of the video for folks who feel like sleeping or disturbing others." They always look at me with a little awe when I say this, like, "Wow. She found a way to get me to watch this video!"

There are a lot of things in the classroom that offer direct, logical consequences, but homework is one I struggle a bit with.
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

eagertolearn

arguing
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love to use this phrase when students want to aruge: "I argue with students after the buses leave." This usually stops them, if they continue I say shall I call your family to come get you? For sure this stops the arguing! I also like using the broken record strategy (keep repeating the question or direction you want the child to answer or complete).
eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote