Math Interventions - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

cnco

Math Interventions
Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I'm wondering about math interventions for 5th or 6th graders who are two to three grade levels below. Next year it will be required to carve out 30 extra minutes of math intervention time in addition to 60 minutes of core math. It isn't looking like our district will be buying an intervention program, so does anyone have any ideas for interventions or have any great websites or books (basically anything) that I can check out. I'm the instructional coach so this job falls on me, which I don't mind, but I just need some direction!

Thanks!
cnco

cnco is offline   Reply With Quote

shy1

Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

we do this for 15 mins with kids one to two years below grade level....FBB and Below Basic kids...

anyways things i do:
do more hands-on activities with them...for instance during multiplication we did a lot of work arrays and little blocks....we also graphed them and wrote out the facts.......this really helped (can you tell i teach third?)

i also EXPOSE them to that day's lesson prior to math, so when i introduce the math lesson to the class later on during mathtime, it's not a foreign concept to them and they are not totally a lot.

i also do review....and use a practice/reteach worksheet, like when we were working on borrowing in subtract
shy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

older buddies
Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a "math club" where older students pair up with younger to do extra math work. They use manipulatives and work through programs. We have our honor student 7th and 8th graders paired with our 4th and 5th graders in an after school program.

Could you contact your local high school and start a program like this?

Many of us teach math centers and use this time to expand the higher level and push the lower levels.

Good luck.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Tex1

Tex1

Intervention
Old 04-27-2008, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,

A couple of things we did this year (5th grade) that seemed to help.

1. Last year we had 5 teachers each teaching core subjects; math, reading, social studies, science and LA. Students received 45 minutes in math. This year we had 5 teachers but only 4 taught core subjects...one teacher doubled up on Social Studies and LA while the other teacher provide 45 minutes of intervention time in her classroom for every class. As an example, she would do 45 minutes of math one week, science the next, reading the next and then start over. This really helped out this year as we had 11 that did not pass 4th grade math TAKS testing. This year we had a 95% passing rate first try and 46% commended...big improvement.

2. I enlisted all the help I could get during my math classes. I had parents come in to help with small groups, police officers came in as well as senior citizens. Each day I would have atleast 3 small groups and a volunteer. Sometimes it was a teacher's aid, special ed support teachers, ESL or bilingual teacher...anyone I could enlist.

3. We also started tutoring early on this year...after the first month of school.

4. I also instituted a no homework - no recess policy. If kids didn't bring their homework in they didn't go out for recess...period. It worked great!

5. I called every parent at least 3 times this year to talk with them about their student. Some it was 7 or 8

I was able to do quite a bit more but I hope this helps.

Chuck in Texas

Mathzilla

Old 04-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in a slightly similar, slightly different situation I'm currently a 7th grade math teacher, and I've been asked to teach a remedial math class next year. It is in addition to the 100 minute/50 minute class the students are in each day (we're block schedule and they have math every day). It will be an elective, taking the place of their art or PE class for a quarter or 2. Already sounds like I'm going to have some pretty happy kids, huh? I'll have 2 6th grade, 2 7th grade, and 2 8th grade classes for 50 minutes a day.

Anyway, I'm kind of on my own, too, and here's what I've decided to do. #1, I'm ignoring what the regular class is doing. My focus is not on improving their current grade in math class. It's to fill in the gaps they've had for years, which isn't going to coincide with their math class schedule. The result ought to be an improvement in the grade, but that's not my focus. I'm looking toward success in high school math, and I want to give them the tools for that. I see my job as stimulating their math brains with explorations and activities, to help them find concrete understanding of those abstract concepts they struggle with. And they're the kids who've experienced little success in the traditional classroom, so I don't want to give them more of the same. They need to experience success and enjoyment, to change their attitude about math and themselves. We'll do things that will require them to use the skills I want them to have, but direct instruction and drilling the skills won't be the primary focus. I hope to be outside at least twice a week measuring, counting, dropping balls, and so forth.

#2, I want to do consumer applications like banking, saving, budgeting, starting a business, investing in the stock market, etc., where they have to use decimals, percents, and fractions (that's the show stoppers in middle school), but not worksheets. There are some materials through the US Treasury and other websites for this, as well as a number of books.

#3, We'll also focus on problem-solving activities where they have to come up with solutions and be able to communicate them. You can get a bunch of these off NCMT's website.

I'd love to hear others' experiences with this!

Mathzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Tex1 - a question....
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

what you describe sounds interesting. We need something like this. I teach math and also certified as sped, so it could be doable. When you do the one week intervention, is it for a whole class or just for the struggling students? Do they miss something to go to this, or if it's a whole class, does the other teacher just get an additional planning period every 3 weeks? I'm very intrigued.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

cnco

Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm planning on using many of these, so thanks again for the help and support!
cnco
cnco is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

another idea for Mathzilla
Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach 4th and 5th grade in a downtown area, so we can walk to a lot of places. Some of what we do to make math more "real" includes:

1) Bowling for Math...after learning range, median, mean, and mode we go bowling (and keep score on paper, not with the computers) then we use those scores to calcuate range, median, mean, and mode. We graph this information and make comparisons. They love it and they get to do some physical activity.

2) Shopping/cooking...I have the students earn money from their parents with a time card. Then they work in groups on a budget. They each are assigned a part of a meal. They have to find a recipe (sometimes I provide) then make it large enough to feed the class (so they are multiplying fractions). Then we go to the grocery store and estimate while we shop, and then cook. They love this and it shows them how they use math in their daily lives

Good luck with the new assignment, sounds like a challenge that can be very rewarding and that you have the right attitude.

(I do have some sheets I've created for keeping track and grahing of these assignments, if interested feel free to send me a PM and I'll e-mail them to you)
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tex

Tex - Intervention - Dee
Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Dee - The whole class goes to the supplemental class with the intervention teacher...the lower kids receive remediation...the mid and upper kids do enrichment.

Chuck
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote