Onomatopoeia Game - ProTeacher Community

jninerhat

Onomatopoeia Game
Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a short game for 5th graders to play on onomatopoeia after they learn what it is and before they go to use it in their writing. Any ideas?

Does anyone have an onomatopoeia game to play after the children have learned what it is and have seen examples, but before they are putting it in their writing? And I'm thinking about giving the students options of what type of poem to write in order to include onomatopoeia. For example, limerick, haiku, cinquain or free verse. If anyone has any other ideas, please share!
Thanks

Last edited by Editor; 04-22-2008 at 03:24 PM..
jninerhat is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Um, I don't have any games, but I just did an onomatopoeia lesson with my 5h graders last week. We had a lot of fun. One thing I used is a video clip from Youtube that illustrates onomatopoeia. Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-BVwwKTjlI
(We also watched a cute clip where Tigger sings about onomatopoeia, but that was just for fun, it didn't really add anything to the lesson).

We brainstormed lots of examples, and I sometimes wrote an example on the board, and we discussed what might make those sounds. I also read a few poems that used it and we discussed how it is used frequently in comic strips. As a HW assignment, the kids had to create a comic strip, using five different examples of onomatopoeia. They enjoyed this; some kids did cool computer generated ones.

tammynj is online now   Reply With Quote