Help

Social Studies

Interactive Notebook Questions

>

girlonafarm

Interactive Notebook Questions
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI everyone! I am new to the boards and I have a question about Interactive Notebooks. I want to start using them for the first time in the fall, so I am doing some planning for them now. There are a few questions I was hoping you could all help me answer.
1. Is there a book I can buy that details more of the process?

2. Do your students glue, tape or staple their entries? I just put in a few pages into my notebook w/ a glue stick and they are already coming off.

I appreciate all your input and I'm sure I'll have many more questions along the way.

Thanks!

girlonafarm is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

yes. "Bring History Alive" is published by TCI, and there is a chapter in there about the notebooks. The book is about the History Alive program, of which the notebooks are a piece. You might be better off to visit websites - a place to start is
http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/

2. Do your students glue, tape or staple their entries? I just put in a few pages into my notebook w/ a glue stick and they are already coming off.

My students use liquid glue - I'm partial to Elmer's Glue All, versus the school glue. I tried glue sticks this year, and you really have to press hard and use a good bit of the glue stick for pages to stick. Also, Wal-Mart generally puts the Glue All on sale for 20 cents a bottle over the summer.

Have you thought about what type of notebook you'll use? People using the strategy use all kinds - binders, spirals, and composition notebooks. Personally, I like the composition notebooks because they are durable.
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you do an internet search for "Interactive Notebooks" "ISN" "IAN" or "Interactive Student Notebook," you will find tons of sites to help you. The HA! book is the original, but I found a lot better and more diverse ideas from the websites.

My first year that I used ISNs, I started with glue sticks, but the pages came off too easily. Next, my students taped everything in their ISN. I did not like passing out the tape by hand and several pages fell out of students' ISNs through the year.

This year, I used liquid glue and I liked it a lot better. First, I bought about 100 glue bottles at Wal-Mart during the back-to-school sales for 10 cents a piece. I have 30 bottles I keep on my supply table. I combined them together as they got low. They have lasted me all year.

The key to neatness is to instruct and model "proper" glue procedures. I tell them they may only use nine dots of glue per page. This helps to keep the mess down and to minimize the "warping" of the page due to the wet glue.
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

canuk1

interactive note taking
Old 04-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Buy really good glue sticks stay away from bargain stores, just keep gluing them back in. My school has sent me on a couple of training runs and have tried it in bits and pieces this year. Will be fully implemented next year. I teach 8th but I really believe interactive note taking is a memory tricks and a crutch for kids who can't read, won't read and worse yet feel they don't have to retain anything that doesn't interest them. Good luck and wish me luck since my school is hoping do a 360 in achievement and go from the bottom of the table to the top in a year or two.
canuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmarie

Memory trick
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm interested in why you feel interactive notebooks are a crutch for kids who can't read, won't read, and don't retain. I was hoping these notebooks would be a method to help them retain the information better. What have you experienced that I need to be watching for? Thanks

jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't believe it is a crutch at all. In fact, it forces them to think ideas through a lot more thoroughly than traditional notes. I typically alternate between supplying partial notes for the teacher side and using thinking maps which I require the students to fill out on their own first, then I review with them after (I monitor during the "guided mapping" to make sure they aren't just waiting for me to review).

I also would like to know why canuk thinks they are a crutch...have you experienced something I haven't (but am probably bound to in the future)?
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

lthompson

IA notebooks a crutch?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 5th grade and use the IA notebooks with my Social Studies classes. I'm not sure that it's a negative concept to label IA notebooks a crutch. Don't we use memory crutches to teach everything from the ABC's to the Order of Operations and the planets? Since we have to teach to so many learning styles, this just broadens the inventory of tools at my disposal. Some of my students learn by hearing the lesson, some by writing, and some by creating the charts, drawings, etc. that go into our IA notebooks. This is the first year I've used them, but I intend to expand our use of them next year. Anyone else have positive feedback to share?
lthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs,C

Mrs,C

jr high social studies
Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My students add to their notebooks using a three hole punch. We always try to add entire pages when possible. Two sided tape is great for adding smaller objects.I have found that my students have better recall of facts when we add color pages with notes. I have found hundreds of coloring pages featuring topics addressed in our social studies frameworks. Topics inculding ancient Greece, Rome, the Middle Ages..... These pages are 8x11 and fit perfectly in our notebooks. Students color the pages, add needed information on the left side of the notebook and their colored picture on the right. good luck! KC

TEACHERLVNV

ISN Folder
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The internet has give me plenty of resources plus ideas to make it my own. I started an ISN folder, when I see things online I like I save it.

I also found glue stick is often faulty. Scotch tape has been effective for me.
TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote

maree

What a blast!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used the interactive notebooks with my social studies classes the past year and it was a total success and a blast had by all (students, myself and the parents) The students enjoyed coming up with ideas to highlight the notes discussed in class. The parents enjoyed not getting the numerous missing homework assignments telephone calls. I really enjoyed the percentage of missing homework decreasing. The ideas that the students came up with were awesome. They created gameboards, puppet shows, various graphic organizers, mobiles attached to the folder, skits including props, pictures, poems, songs etc. I allowed the students the opportunity to share them with the class for extra points. This benefited the entire class, a review, the opportunity to stand before the class and express themselves, and the chance to just stand out. I can't wait until next year to continue.
_Groovin' and Moovin' Maree

maree is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

interactive notetaking glue
Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What about Zots? (They are used for scrapbooking and there are alot in the package.)
maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

highlighter/marker use in interactive
Old 06-19-2008, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm also very interested in using interactive notebooks mostly for science and s.s.

Question:When students use highlighters or even markers, don't they bleed through and effect the other side?
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

using highlighters and markers
Old 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hi there! Love, love, love interactive notebooks.

I don't allow the use of markers in my notebooks because of bleed through. It does make the back of the next page unusable for writing.

I think when pp's were talking about highlighters they were talking about using them on a handout which would be glued in to the notebook. I use highlighters all the time on my handouts - we look for the answers to certain questions in the text or color code facts for note-taking. If its on a handout, there is no bleed through.

I don't know about highlighting directly on the page, but you might want to try it on one and see!

Linda/OH

input/output question
Old 06-21-2008, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've been researching these too and have a comment/question for those who use it or even if you're trying to figure it out now as I am.

Why is the right side the teacher side (input) and the left side the students (output)?

It seems backwards to me. I'm thinking of the notebook as a progression of thought and learning and when we read, we move left to right.

So why wouldn't they record teacher driven notes on the left and then personalize it after that which would be on the right??

Thoughts?

#

ancientciv

Old 06-21-2008, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi Linda!
I don't do it that way. (The beautiful thing about this strategy is that there are no "notebook police" and it is infinately tweakable.)

I and several other here do it this way:

Left is for teacher input = Left is for learning
Right is for student processing = Right is for reflection

Linda/OH

thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you ancientciv! It just seems like everything I've read was the other way. I like your explanation too. I'll share that with my class.

wig

Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My students use highlighters and colored pencils. My notebooks are either the way ancientciv described, or sequential, depending on the class.

Your first year will have the biggest learning curve. Keep notes on what worked for you and what didn't.
wig is offline   Reply With Quote

sandypoint

Interactive Notebooks
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi I am new too. I am moving from First Grade to Fifth Grade science. I bought this book called Using Science Notebooks in Elementary Classrooms from the NSTA Science Store. You might find it helpful.
sandypoint is offline   Reply With Quote