Quiz-Quiz-Trade... Effective? How to do it? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Quiz-Quiz-Trade... Effective? How to do it?

>

Risa

Quiz-Quiz-Trade... Effective? How to do it?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't recall where I read that someone uses the Kagan Cooperative Learning activity called "Quiz-Quiz-Trade" for vocabulary cards.

That got me to recall that I have some pages that were copied from a Kagan Book. At the top the page it says "Quiz-Quiz-Trade." (These are vocabulary cards for non-fiction elements such as: diagram, label, caption, title, subtitle, etc.)

I'm hoping someone can explain how to use "Quiz-Quiz-Trade" for vocabulary cards. Then I'd like to know if your feel this strategy is effective.

Thanks!

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Quiz Quiz Trade
Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It works like this. All students are given a card or slip of paper with the question (or vocabulary word) on one side and the answer (or definition) on the other side.

All students stand up and pair up. One student reads the question to the other student. The other student answers. The first student corrects, if necessary, then gives a praise statement (whether the answer is right or wrong). The students switch roles. When both questions have been given, the students trade questions, then put their hand up. They look around for other students with their hands up, and pair up with new partners.

I think it can be effective or not effective, depending on how well the foundation is laid. Teachers must teach and model the structure several times. Students who are not used to this type of teaching sometimes can't handle the freedom.

Things that can go wrong are students running around making partners, but not asking the questions. Some students will want to only partner with their friends. Students may skip the praise statement, which is a nice element in building a supportive classroom environment. It's harder if there's an odd number of students. Of course, a teacher can pair up, but that makes it difficult for the teacher to supervise.

On the plus side, instead of one teacher asking questions, and one student answering, while the rest sit silently, all the students are actively engaged in asking and answering questions. Even if the student missed the question when it was given, he/she becomes the "expert" when he switches questions and partners.

In fact, now that you've reminded me, I may use this strategy to review for the SOLS! Thanks.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

I love it!
Old 04-26-2008, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The above poster gave a great description. I use QQT to introduce vocabulary at the beginning of a unit, and to review for a test. I usually set a time limit of 5 - 7 minutes for the students to do this, and challenge them to QQT with as many different students as possible. I circulate with them, sometimes asking/answering (they love that) other times just keeping my eyeball on them. I find it works best when it is review - they know at least some of the answers and that keeps it motivating.

I make my own cards - some people have students make cards, but I like knowing absolutely that the right answer is with the question. I've used powerpoint - one slide for the question, the next for the answer, then print them out six to a page (3 questions/answers). Powerpoint also makes it easy to include visuals.

Something that conserves more paper is using a business card template - question on left, answer on right - I can get five/six questions per page that way.
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

ma-bethany

Old 04-26-2008, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i have never heard of this! is there a book that i can buy to get more information on it? i think it would work great with my class this year (too bad we only have 2 months left). they would be great to practice on. last year's class - HA! no way.

i especially like it for nonfiction, since that is a focus at our school this year.
ma-bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

I'm gonna try it, too!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds great. I think my kids could handle it; they are a pretty good bunch. I agree, modeling it a few times is a terrific idea. I might take a few of my more "serious" students (meaning, not the gigglers or performers!) and have them practice it, and then demonstrate it to the class.

This is why I love PT! Lots of good ideas! Thanks!

tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

ma-bethany

Old 04-26-2008, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just researched the website. I actually have their Tribes book, which is really good for community building. The website is interesting. I think I'm going to make my own version of this QQT using story comprehension/vocabulary for our story this week (Chinatown - Harcourt story). Don't know if it'll work, but I'm willing to try and see what happens!
ma-bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. D.

I love it!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It works great for me, even with my most rambunctious groups. Initially, there will be the one or two kids that either act up or don't do anything, but I usually do one of two things. I will either ignore it, if it's not too bad, or send them to another classroom to complete a hard worksheet with the same material. Generally speaking, the worksheet is only done once.
Mrs. D. is offline   Reply With Quote

iPeach

Question
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Instead of trading partners, can partners just trade cards keeping the set partners? I think in my class it would work. But, not if they knew they could change people... 6 people would want to get with one, and a few would be left out.... at least with this class!
iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

staralar

Works GREAT
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a very active class and this is one of their favorite structures. We also use this with the inside/outside circle. I don't know if you have done this activity. It is very similar to quiz, quiz, trade. Half the students form a circle facing out and the other half of the class forms circle facing in. They should be facing a partner. If you have an odd number of students you may have to be part of this one. Each child is given a card. They ask their partner the question and then confirm if correct or "tip tip tell" if incorrect and give a praise. Then they trade cards and the outside circle moves to the left. Now, they have a new partner and quiz quiz trade again. I have used this with vocabulary, telling time, multiplication, etc. It is a great way to spiral at the beginning of a lesson or check for mastery at the end of a lesson.
staralar is offline   Reply With Quote

Shash821

PowerPoint
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When formatting the slides in Microsoft Powerpoint, switch to Master Slide View and add the grade level, Chapter #, and any other applicable information to the footer of each slide. That way, the cards can be reused the following year and, if they get mixed up, you can sort them back by the appropriate chapter.
Shash821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cricket72

Quiz-quiz-trade
Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just posted a message asking about this activity and while I was browsing other messages, I found my answer. I like the idea of forming the circles and having the circles move rather than having the students "look" for their own partners. My "very bright but young and immature" class needs that type of structure.
Cricket72 is offline   Reply With Quote