Kindergarten Moving Up Ceremony - ProTeacher Community

City Mouse

Kindergarten Moving Up Ceremony
Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
I am getting ready for our end of the year ceremony to move the kindergarten kids up to first grade. I have never done something like this before, so I am kind of flying by the seat of my pants as to how to execute it.
The program will run from 10 until about 11:00. I know we will sing several songs and I will give the kids certificates (they'll also slide down the slide to symbolize moving on), but what else do you all include in your programs?
Also, I figure I should create a program for the parents to keep as a momento, but I'm not sure how that should look either. Does anyone have any sample programs that they have created, for a ceremony like this, that you wouldn't mind sharing so I can get some ideas?
Thanks!

City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

Old 05-04-2008, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I, too, am doing a program for the first time and am planning on doing the songs and certificates. I am also thinking about doing some awards, making sure each child gets one. Last year I gave out candy bar awards and will probably do the same this year. Here are some ideas.

http://www.scoutingweb.com/scoutingw...yBarAwards.htm

Certificates are here:
http://www.teachingheart.net/endoftheyearpage.html

I was also thinking about letting each child read something they have written like, "The best thing about kindergarten is..."

I am looking forward to other responses. Your slide idea is cute.
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

here's a few things we did
Old 05-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

last year we had our ceremony with 64 kinders in 3 classes. we tried to give as many kids as possible the opportunity to have a role. we said our school pledge with three students "leading" it (stepping forward in front of mic.) we did the same with the Pledge of Alligence. then we did a "Kindergarten Rap" and had six kids help lead that. one of the favorite parts was the "The ABCs of Kindergarten" where we used 26 large letters & 26 kids to hold them up while we read a poem. My favorite part of the ceremony (inbetween things) is when three students read speeches about our year (speeches are written by the teacher.) Certificates are handed out at the end & cake and punch follow the ceremony.

the parents all loved the ceremony & the kids had a lot of fun too.
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

LivieLou

I Love the Slide Idea
Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do an "All About Me in Kindergarten" paper for all the kids and I read it before I call them up for their certificates. It is really neat to find out what their answers may be. THe parents really liked it too. It gave it a personal touch.
Attached Files
File Type: doc All About Me in Kindergarten.doc (24.0 KB, 285 views)
LivieLou is offline   Reply With Quote

abcmom

Kindergarten Celebration
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my second year teaching kindergarten and I do a Kindergarten Celebration. We will sing songs, read and act out a story, read a kindergarten poem, and pass out certificates. I am planning to end our celebration the same as last year. I will read the poem "I Give You Back Your Child" and then I show a DVD I have created throughout the year with pictures of the kids set to music. I also burn a copy for each parent. This was a wonderful time and not a dry eye could be found. I have many students and parents tell me they love watching the movie!
Good Luck!!

abcmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ottis

Kindergarten play
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What story do you use for your kindergartners to act out for their parents?
ottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Mr S

Mr S

Principal
Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We just had a preK celebration tonight. Opened with Pledge, 10 minute slide show and music from pictures of the year, program containing all names, students sang, handed out certificates (all in 30 minutes) last 1/2 hour cookines and punch- picture taking / mingling.

Went well

City Mouse

Busy Week!! THANK YOU!!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hello All,
Obviously, I have been completely swampped this week! Otherwise, I would have gotten back to this sooner. The kindergarten ceremony is one of the things eating my time, and here I am asking for advice!
Anyway, thank you so much for all the ideas!!! I'm going to read through them again and see what I can incorporate. I have an hour total for the program and then the kids and parents have to be out of there because we have another assembly right after that.
Off to read again!
City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

rose1234

Kindergarten Program
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What kind of music do you use for your DVD movie?
rose1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

rlygr8

Music
Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What I use for my dvd are "See Me Beautiful" by Red Grammer and What A Wonderful World by Louie Armstrong. Talk about not a dry eye in the house. I do not do a graduation but a celebration of the first year in school. Each child comes to the microphone and says what they want to be when they grow up. I love the info sheet talked about earlier and plan to incorporate that into our celebration. This is well worth the time and effort we put into it. Good luck!
rlygr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

abcmom

Story to act out
Old 05-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Last year I used the book Tumble Bumble. This year we are doing Moose's Loose Tooth. My kiddos LOVE this story.

abcmom

Music for dvd
Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A Whole New World is the first song. I have it going while the students' pictures from the first day fade to an end of the year snap shot. I also use Kids Just Wanna Have Fun and Wonderful World (both are on Dr. Jean CD's). THis year I had 30 students in my all day kindergarten. I have many pictures and have been thinking of using the song I Hope You Dance. I hope this helps!
haagendaaz

haagendaaz

Moving Up Ceremony
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Do you happen to have the words for the ABC of Kindergarten?

AddieJ

A, B, C Farewell
Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'll attach it for you to look at (I referred to it as The ABCs of Kindergarten in my post above.)
We practice our ceremony a lot during the month of May so the kids have their lines memorized for the real deal the first week of June. A teacher walks down the line with a microphone for them to speak into. However, this year we won't have as much practice time so a teacher is going to read the poem & the children will hold up their letters at the right times (there's also a few parts of the poem that require a whole group response.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc ABC Farewell (Kdg Grad.).doc (26.0 KB, 224 views)
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote