Help

ARCHIVE

Need ideas for teaching address/phone number

>

JennScraps

Need ideas for teaching address/phone number
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We do a lot of singing in our room and that really seems to help them remember concepts, how to spell words, etc.

I did some looking around on the internet, but haven't been able to find any songs to help with these two concepts. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place!

Anyway, I wondered if anyone here might have a suggestion.

Thank you!

Jenn

JennScraps is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Teaching address/phone number
Old 05-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you want them to learn the concept or their own?
I figured that 5 year-olds would be too young to learn or comprehend that concept.
If it's to learn their own, I would say that their parents may need to teach them that.
I am a second grade teacher, and we do teach the concept, how to write it, and what it means, but I find that most of them don't even know their own phone number much less an address.
Good luck, and I would love to hear about what others do?
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

LivieLou

I do teach this
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is actually on our report card.

I teach each child their address-street they live on-then we play a game. I have each address on a name tag and we play who address is this. I read the tag and the child needs to come up if it is their address. They really enjoy it. I will also call them into line by their addresses. I would say, "10 Grove Street" please line up. They get a kick out of it too.
LivieLou is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

One Ringy Dingy
Old 05-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For telephone number I have a telephone cut-out that is about the size of a piece of construction paper. There are seven spaces along the bottom for them to cut out and put their phone number. I call out individual numbers and they cover them up as their number is called. When all of their numbers are covered they say, "Ring, Ring, Ring" and then say their phone number to the class.
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

solidnsb

Empire TV Commercial Phone Number
Old 05-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught kindergarten, I used the "Empire TV Commercial Song" to help my students remember their phone number. I used the Empire's phone number tune and instead of using the Empire's phone number, I changed the numbers to the student's phone number. It worked like a charm! If you want to listen to the tune, google Empire TV Commercial. Good luck!!

solidnsb is offline   Reply With Quote

coppsma

make it a game
Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I copy a picture of a house at the beginning of the school year. Underneath the picture I write the address in a light color marker, including the zip code. I also make a copy of a telephone and write the 9 digit phone number under that picture. The children color the picture of the house the first week of school and the picture of the telephone the second week. The also use their pencil to trace the address or phone number.

Then each week throughout the year, when students are doing centers or between activities, I pull out one or the other set of pictures and have the kids trace the address or phone number with their finger as they read the numbers or words. After winter break, I start reading the addresses or phone numbers in a sing-song voice to see if the kids can identify them; its suprising how many can memorize the phone number but are not sure that it is their's that I am reading. I say something like "who lives in the house at..." or "who will answer the phone when I dial..."

My kids are all from middle income homes and we are in the suburbs, so I insist that they at least know their street and city/state for the address. I also make sure that they know mom and dad's first names, just in case of an emergency.

solidnsb, I like the idea of the Empire song; I am going to try that too!
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

libra

Songs
Old 05-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I found this on Dr. Jean's website:

Teach phone #'s to the tune of Camptown Racers.
Example: 292-3435, Josie's number
292-3435 That's Josie's number.

Teach address to "The Muffin Man"
Example: 3748 River Road, River Road, River Road
3748 River Road is where Jackson lives.
libra is online now   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

math center idea for phone #s
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't have any songs (I like libra's idea ) but here's what I do for phone numbers. I give everyone a graph page with their phone number on the bottom & boxes going up & they color in the correct # boxes for each number. Then I add their picture to the page & bind all the pages together into a class phone book (binder with clear page protectors) & use it as a math center with a real phone to practice dialing on. It helps with number recognition & some children are able to recite their own number after doing this center a few times.
BTW -when phone numbers change, that child does a new page and we replace it in the book. Unfortunately it happens quite often & children get a little confused by this so I'm always telling parents to practice this skill with their children at home.
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

SingingStar

Chants
Old 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't teach phone/address, but every once in a while, I'll do a chant with the kids:

Phone number:
Cake,
Candy,
Ice Cream Cone,
Tell me the number of your phone

Address:
Dog,
Cat,
Bird,
Mouse,
Tell me the address of your house
SingingStar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lalacristo

love your idea
Old 05-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love your idea. Phone number and address is also on our report card.
Lalacristo is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Phone number
Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

"Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" is great for phone numbers.
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
ntraining

ntraining

teaching phone number
Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

can you please give an example of how you would use "twinkle twinkle little star" to teach the phone number?

CageyBee

Twinkle Phone Numbers
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The tune for the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star...seven syllables in the words and seven numbers in a phone number (sans area code)...then make up other words or repeat...works like a charm.

Twink le Twink le lit tle star
5 5 5 6 7 8 9
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

ilovedarkice

Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This is really late, but maybe it will help someone.

i had a hard time trying to take the time to teach individual phone numbers, so to motivate the students I started clubs. To get into these clubs they needed to tell me information like their phone numbers. I had five clubs last year ... Tying shoes, Zipping coats, Knowing addresses,
Knowing Phone Numbers, Knowing Birthdays.

If they were able to join one club they earned a gummy bear, if they got in all five they got to choose a treasure out of our treasure box. AS soon as I started these, most of the kids were motivated to learn these things. I would also reward and praise the kids that did it so others would see how cool it was to join! ;-)
ilovedarkice is offline   Reply With Quote

AddieJ

clubs
Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I wanted to add to what ilovedarkice said about clubs. I do them too but I only have a Shoe Tying Club and a Zippers Club so now I'll have to add the phone number & address clubs! I made posters for the shoe tying & zippers clubs and when students demonstrated those skills and were made official club members, I wrote their names on the posters. Both posters were by our coat/backpack cubbies. Then if other children needed help with those two things, they could go to the "experts" listed on the posters first for help. The shoe tying club was SO helpful when I was pregnant and couldn't bend over to tie shoes!! Those kids were my "angels!"
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote