Help

ARCHIVE

Poetry and Fluency

>

texas123

Poetry and Fluency
Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have special poetry or music poetry that you use in your class to get kids to increase fluency?

texas123 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This series by Mary Ann Hoberman is excellent. They're four books in the series and students really seem to enjoy them. One is stories. One is scary tales. (Great to use around Halloween) One is fairy tales and the fourth is Mother Goose tales. There are fifteen poems or so in each book. Each poem is written for two voices. The stanzas are color coded for easy recognition of your part.

I have students pair up to read them together. I usually put a slower reader with a faster reader. The slower reader tries very hard to keep the pace that the better reader sets. I have them practice together for two to four days for 15 to 20 minutes of our reading class time. I walk around and listen. I also make suggestions for improvements. These usually have more to do with tone and intonation than pronunciation. Then each group presents for a grade. I let them add simple props and costume pieces for dramatic qualities.

I make sure they understand this is for a reading grade, because some students will begin to memorize it and I want them to actually read it on the day of the presentation.

These poems are also good to use with parent/child teams on literature nights if your school holds one.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

snowpoppy2

poetry breaks
Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

During my poetry unit, I encourage the kids to use "Poetry Breaks". At any time throughout the day, except during a test, they can stand up and yell out POETRY BREAK! Everyone has to drop everything and listen to them read their poem out loud. Our rules are: that there can't be more than 3 breaks per day, and the student that is reading must have read the poem at least 3 times over before they read it out loud. This helps them increase their fluency and has them practice reading out loud in front of the class. They also LOVE to interrupt class
snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote