Sports theme - ProTeacher Community

gh

gh

Sports theme
Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I need some idea for bulletin board titles and classroom ideas for a sports theme. I already have Words of Winners for my language of the discipline word wall.
THANKS!

hhillhs

Sports Ideas
Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

OK, this is long, but here are some ideas that I used this year. I got lots of ideas on the archive, and I made up some additional ideas. I may have a picture, too.

Meet the Teacher Night Snacks – popcorn, bottled water, chocolate “sports ball” candies

Meet the Teacher Night Wish List – “Pitch In”: title on glove and donation items on baseballs

Welcome (DOOR) – “TEAM Hill’s Starting Line-Up”: a team roster and jerseys…I got “jersey” shaped plated at HEB (a grocery store) and wrote their names on them. I think the party store has them, too!

Homework Board – “Batting Practice”

Info Board – “TEAM News” (newsletter), “Concessions” (lunch menu),
“Have a Ball on Your Birthday” (birthdays…names and bdays on different sport balls), “Team Schedule” (schedule)

Work Board – “Together Everyone Achieves More”, “Three Cheers
For ______”, “Give it Your Best Shot”

Behavior Board – Create a home plate and three K’s (strikes). Write each scholar’s name on a clothespin. If a rule is broken, that scholar’s name is moved to the first K and he/she receives a conduct mark. After strike three, the parent is contacted. Make a list of “home run scholars” each week. Celebrate the “gold medal scholars” each nine weeks…those with home runs EVERY week.

Rules Board – “Life Has Rules…Play Fair”: social contract

Job Chart – “Special Teams”: coach’s assistant (runs errands, helps teacher), team manager (helps during stations), equipment manager (passes out/collects papers, checks stations, gets more supplies for stations), clubhouse attendant (organizes library), field crew-2 (picks up floor/room), referee (checks desks)
Compliment Board – “Good Game”

Word Wall Mini Book – “Can You ‘Tackle’ These Words?” (footballs)
Reading Area – “Field of Dreams” (green turf, stadium cushions) or “Locker Room” with big lockers and the title (the O’s are basketballs)

Scholar of the Week – “MVP of the Week”: Have MVP get special attention each day of the week…share photos and bio, read aloud favorite book and display favorite books on top shelf of the library (“___’s Picks of the Week”), share secret letter from parent, free ice cream at lunch, lunch buddy, line leader (every day)

Reward Board – “Scoreboard”: keep score for home team…class receives reward when they reach a given number of points

Decorations – pennants, trophies, medals, individual baseball cards, Sports Illustrated covers, basketball hoop, jerseys, teamwork books

Sayings –

•TEAM…Together Everyone Achieves More
•There’s no I in team
•Home Field Advantage
•All on the same team
•Bounce on in to ___ Grade
•Kick Off the Year With a Good Book
•Attitudes are contagious…Is yours worth catching?
•You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take
•We make a great team
•Get in the game…READ
•All Stars
•Keep a winning attitude

Sports Words – Tackle, Catch, Throw, Hurdle, Touchdown, Goal, Spirit, Cheer, Basket, Strong, Strike, Hit, Homerun, Walk, Base, Stretch, Punt, Ball, Kick, Shot, Hoop, Set, Spike, Net, Serve, Pass

Activities –
•Discuss cooperation, teamwork, responsibility, flexibility, listening, fairness, patience, organization, perseverance, integrity, common sense, effort, courage, determination
•Have scholars write goals on soccer ball paper. Then put them on a bulletin board with a big soccer goal. Title it “Aiming For Our 3rd Grade Goals”
•Call warm-ups “kick offs”
•Name tables after professional sports teams
•Break scholars into groups. Give each group a box, scissors, wrapping paper, ribbon, tape, and a card. Put a paper bag over everyone’s dominant hand and have them work together to wrap the box. Have another teacher vote on which gift is wrapped best. That team wins a prize. Discuss the importance of working together.
•Play “Football Frenzy” to review all subjects. Scholars draw a card that says 5 yards, 15 yards, fumble, interception, etc. Ask questions pertaining to review material. If correct, their team moves that many yards. If incorrect, their team gets a down. They get two downs before they punt.
•“Pigskin Geography”: Have scholars choose an NFL football team and post helmets on a map to represent them. Each week, they have to find out how many points their team won or lost by and which direction and distance they had to travel for the game.
•Team Building Activities – HULA HOOP: Stand in a circle and hold hands. Move the hula hoop around the circle without breaking hands. Time it and work together to get faster. TEAM WEB: Stand in circle and hold onto the yarn. Scholar throws it to someone. They say the name of the person that threw it and hold onto the yarn and throw it again. Keep it going until everyone has thrown and caught the yarn. It will end up a big spider web if everyone holds onto their piece of yarn (teamwork). Then have scholars let go one at a time to see the web fall apart when we don’t work as a team. Everyone is important.
•Everyone earns their Varsity Letter at the end of the year
hhillhs is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

My sports themed classroom this year...
Old 05-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used Proteacher to help out a lot with my theme last summer. I took lots of pictures to share this summer, but for now all I can do is describe...
  • Winning Words - Word Wall
  • Racing to Read - Reading Minutes: Race Track with the kids names on cars (I move them once a week according to their rdg calendar).
  • Slamdunk Spelling - Kids' names on basketballs - they get a sticker for every 100% they get on a Spelling test and after 5 stickers, they get a prize and a new basketball.
  • Lunch is Served - Lunch menu and other info...I have a tennis racket (a real one) and tennis ball hanging up next to it.
  • Teamwork - Job board -- each kids' name is written on a baseball cap diecut
  • Reading Dugout - Classroom library
  • Homerun Writing - Writing Center
  • Team Scoreboard - Behavior Chart: It is set up as 3 strikes and you're out (detention). They color in their baseball chart at the end of the day to show their parents their behavior for the day.
Beginning of the year activity - I had them cut out pennants from foam (already marked out for them) and they added letter stickers for their names and sport balls stickers to decorate -- they hang from the ceiling edge all year.

Team Names - I have the desks in groups of 6 and each team has a sport name - we are from Illinois so we have the Cubs, Bulls, Bears, and Huskies (for Northern Illinois University).

My classroom is a bilingual 2nd grade - so our take home binder is a form of the BEE/MOOSE binders that are out there, but it is called an EQUIPO binder which is an accrostic for (loosely translated in English) Students Who Use Intelligence For Organization (Estudiantes Que Usan Inteligencia Para Organization). Oh! And EQUPIO means TEAM in Spanish.

I have Sports related posters all over - I use sports stickers for their team points (an incentive chart for each team - which ever is the quickest table for transitions gets a sticker/or a team that is working well together - when it is filled up, the team gets to eat lunch with me).

I have had a lot of fun with this theme -- next year I am doing the beach though. I think I am going to switch my theme every year for 4 years and then go back to the sports.

Last edited by NIUTeach; 05-11-2008 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: More to add!
NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

butterfly8

Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would love to see some pics of how you used these ideas in your classroom!
butterfly8 is offline   Reply With Quote

WPE08

NIUTeach:
Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Please send me pics of your sports theme classroom! I am a first year teacher and need lots of ideas. I am doing a sports theme as well and would love to see how you incorporated all of these ideas into your classroom space.

WPE08 is offline   Reply With Quote

WPE08

Oops...E-mail
Old 06-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you have pics the e-mail is sheleerobinson@gmail.com

trapper

Old 06-09-2008, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for sharing LOTS of ideas...
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote

1kyteacher

Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I"m also going to try to do a sports theme this year. One idea I found somewhere on the internet (don't remember where) was to have "Pitch In and Help" for the job chart. The jobs were written on baseball bats and the kid's names written on baseballs and this was displayed in a pocket chart. Concerning NIUTeach's idea for pennants I think Oriential Trading has foam pennants already cut out. I'm planning to buy those and give students stickers, foam shapes, etc to decorate them. Really Good Stuff also has several sports themed things. They have a "Welcome to Our Team" set that includes pencils, sticker charts, stickers, banners, etc. I also went to teacherstorehouse.com and did a product search for "sports" and they had several stickers, bulletin board supplies, etc.
1kyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WPE08

Thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the information! I'm going ot look at the site now. If you find any other ideas please let me know. I already have about 4 pages of ideas for the Sports theme from just browsing on here. Great, great ideas!! I can't wait to get started