Grammar Projects - ProTeacher Community

GramHelp!!

GramHelp!!

Grammar Projects
Old 05-01-2006, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone teach only Language/Grammar? Next year, I am assigned to teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade grammar only. How do I make it interesting and engaging? Anyone have any great projects or interesting ways to teach grammar? The kids typically think it's so boring and have little interest in the terms of grammar: transitive, intransitive, subordinate, etc.

tia

grammar
Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i don't teach ONLY grammar --thank GOD!--but i am teaching it right now....here are a few things i'm doing:

trying to do hands on whenever possible--comparative/superlative--get a tall, taller, and tallest kid in front of the room; have them make 3-D prepositional phrases, sing grammar songs (i've founds some on internet, have some from OLD english series), we've played parts of speech people hunt (define parts of speech--give 1 example, then find 3 people with different examples; we played parts of speech SWAT (2 teams--1 representative from each team up at board with flyswatters--on overhead is displayed a grid of parts of speech--teacher calls out word: butterfly, underneath, yikes, mine--first person to swat the correct part of speech earns point)--this can be done with all sorts of topics--rocks, minerals, x tables....

we'll be playing parts of speech bingo, of course and i made some game (not really sure how i played it, and i'm annoyed that i didn't save it on the computer last year, because my only copy has the answers on it! so i have to redo for this year) anyway--it's something of a partner-find---where there are parts of speech/definitions on cards and then some examples and the kids have to find their partner--i'm at home right now wondering how i made 8 parts of speech (16 matches) into a game for 30 kids....i must have broken some of them down into proper/common nouns, helping/linking, action verbs...

also: acrostic poems with adjectives describing themselves, make a board game--there are lots of fun games out there--i know scholastic has several workbooks

hope those ideas help!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

kirsten

will you also
Old 05-06-2006, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

be teaching vocabulary as part of your language/grammar? I have to try to incorporate a vocabulary text book, literature text book, and grammar text book into a 40 minute daily class period. Just not enough time. I would love if there were separate periods just because that would mean more time!
kirsten is offline   Reply With Quote

Caliteacher

grammar
Old 05-07-2006, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always "thought" I taught grammar well. However, a few years back our district invested in a grammar program. Basically, it has sing-song type "jingles" about every part of speech. Scripted lessons, testing at the end, very detailed and I have never learned so much! It takes the pattern of sentences and breaks them into units to learn. Within each unit are vocabulary to learn, parts of speech and uses, even organizing & writing strategies. It is a very detailed series, but so powerful. After 15 years, better than anything I have ever seen in our "curriculum" books. The pace is quick and it constantly builds on previous skills taught. Definitely worth the time! My students scores sky-rocketed and I tend to have very low performing students. Good Luck! Email me for the specifics if this sounds like something you would want to investigate.

Last edited by Caliteacher; 05-08-2006 at 05:08 PM..
Caliteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Marilyn B.

Marilyn B.

Parts of speech
Old 05-17-2006, 12:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you want to have some fun teaching the parts of speech, have the students illustrate a word. I've used this project from 5th through 12th grades. To see examples from my Web site, go to http://www.kid-at-art.com/htdoc/lesson70.html.

Marilyn B.

Marilyn B.

Illustrate a Word
Old 05-17-2006, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is the correct URL address: http://www.kid-at-art.com/htdoc/lesson70.htm

fun_friend

Old 05-17-2006, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like teaching grammar! I always show Grammar Rock at some point of the year--this year I played it the day before the big state test. I use old Scholastic catalogs and have kids make a chart with the 4 kinds of sentences on it. They cut out the different kinds of sentences from the catalogs and glue them under the correct category. The catalogs are great because they have a lot of imperative sentences as well as exclamatories.

Any kind of game you can make is great: jeopardy, bingo, matching cards, looping cards. Those "know-it-all" card sets are fun for reviewing all kinds of grammar and language arts.

I recommend using a computer program that drills them too. My students love to take turns using a program we have called Orchard that gives them opportunities to drill in all areas of language arts. I have also collected fun worksheet books from Scholastic. A favorite is Comic Strip Grammar. The sheets are short and witty. Hot Fudge Monday is also good. Grammar Puzzles and Mazes is a pretty fun resource too.

My students have made preposition poems too. I like the 3-d preposition idea. My kids created preposition people this year.

When you are teaching process writing, adding descriptive words and phrases is a key part of revision. Correcting grammar snafus is a big part of editing. Using a check-off sheet helps to make these processes more systematic. Also include a rubric that the kids see up front that describes what a perfect paper is composed of regarding descriptive phrases and grammar, spelling, etc.

I use the acronym CUPS that I learned here at Proteacher to guide students when they are writing. C: capitalization, U: usage, P: punctuation, S: spelling.

There is/was a bulletin board set called "Parts of speech Fair" or something like that modeled on a carnival. It also has/had a cute little parts of speech play that my kids have enjoyed performing over the years. Constantly rehearsing the play really solidified the kids' understanding of the parts of speech in at least a basic way.

Boy am I going to miss all the fun of teaching language arts, but don't cry for me. I will love the new frontier of teaching career connections!
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Tere U

Tere U

help me with my grammar lessons!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It seems that you really enjoy teaching grammar and that you have lots of ideas.
I'm lost. I'm teaching Mexican 3rd graders with a book that doesn't really help. What can I do? How do I teach them present simple and continuous and some other grammar tasks? Please help me. Any suggestions or any links or web sites for grammar lesson plans?
Thank you very much.

jch

Grammar
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As a resource, I've used Easy Grammar. Not sure of the author, but I got it on Amazon. I have the low language group and it has helped me a lot in developing the grammar for my kids.

It is in the form of a workbook; I believe it was originally developed for homeschoolers. It is quite basic, but I've gotten lots of ideas from it. I especially appreciate the way the 6th grade book develops prepositions and prepositional phrases first, thus simplifying the sentence for finding the subject, predicate, etc.

It is very much a "plain Jane," but if you need the basics and then bring in your own twists, it may work for your 3rd graders. I do believe they have the books in different levels.
jch is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have any ideas of how to teach English grammar to non-English speaking 3rd graders. I guess you need to start with the basics. Scholastic has some fun books called Grammar Tales. I don't think the kids need very complicated lessons at that age. Check with your curriculum. For nouns, you could use a picture and have the kids write down all the nouns they see. This could make a quick center. You might get a copy of Grammar Rock to teach the parts of speech. Maybe you can find activities that are hands-on. Lotsa luck!
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Amy Snyder

Amy Snyder

Teacher
Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What is the name of the grammar curriculum that you are using?
asnyder@edscc.org

Marvelous

Please send information!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hello
I have been searching for information how to help my students with grammar. Next year I am going to teach 4th grade for the first time (I am used to teaching middle school) and I would love to get my hands on as many resources during the summer. Thank you for your help.
TTYS
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote

MiddleEnglish

More Info Please
Old 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Could you please describe the 3D prepositional phrase project? Sounds intriguing. Thank you.
MiddleEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote

grammar fun

Preposition Poem
Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hi,

Can you give me directions on preposition poem and preposition people? I need project ideas for Open House.
grammar fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Garson

teaching among/betweeen to ELL high schoolers
Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Does anyone have some great ideas about teaching how to use among/between to ELL high schoolers? Thanks.
Garson is offline   Reply With Quote