7th-8th grade classroom theme - ProTeacher Community

Hedrick

Hedrick

7th-8th grade classroom theme
Old 05-17-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This fall will be my very 1st year teaching and I'll be teaching 7th & 8th grade language arts/reading. So I was hoping someone could help me come up with a suitable theme for a 7th/8th grade classroom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

tadlockrl

Idea
Old 05-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about the wide world of reading. You could use maps to decorate. Students could map the settings of their stories. You coukld use the seven cont. as labels around the room.
tadlockrl is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like tadlockrl's idea. You don't want anything too cutesy for 7th/8th graders. I think they would like the idea of around the world, as they are usually disenchanted with their own little world at about this age! Will you be reading stories that take place all over the world? That would really work out.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

jsfowler

Old 05-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The other posts made me think of the world wide web of reading. This way you could discuss informational text and text features. When reading novels you could create character WEBS, etc. and even webpages for different novels.
jsfowler is offline   Reply With Quote

abrooks

hollywood
Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think a hollywood theme would be ok for 7th-8th graders. It is something that is not too cutesy but they still think is kind of cool. To tie in the language arts/reading theme you could have a bulletin board that has famous writers/authors that they should know..for example, George Lucas (wrote Stars Wars), Stephen King, John Grisham. You could also have a bulletin board with books that have been made into movies. I am doing the hollywood theme this year for my 5th grade class and I have gotten TONS of ideas and decorations.

abrooks is offline   Reply With Quote