Pocket Charts - ProTeacher Community

j.c.

j.c.

Pocket Charts
Old 05-18-2008, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi please share what you have used your pocket charts for in Grade 3? I have moved from K and it seems a bit useless this year in Grade 3.....and I spent so much $$ on them.... so can't I use my pocket charts in a useful way?
Thanks.

MissPriss

A.R. Line
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have Accelerated Reader in your classroom? I use my pocket chart to keep track of who is next in line to take tests on the computers. At the start of the year I make them a name card and laminate it. When they have finished a book they put their card in the pocket chart. (I have it on one of those metal stands in the back of the room by the computers.) After they take their test they remove their card and it serves as a bookmark in their next A.R. book. It works for me because I can read the names from the front of the room and I can help remind them if they forget it is their turn.
MissPriss is offline   Reply With Quote

dct5600

Guided Reading Groups
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use mine for keeping track of GR groups - who is working with teacher, who is doing word work, who is doing silent reading, who is doing partner reading. Then I rotate them.

I have other pocket charts that keep track of our daily schedule, place value and sentence editing (these ones have longer strips).
Hope that helps!
dct5600 is offline   Reply With Quote

pam50961

Pocket Charts
Old 05-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can't live without them. I use one for behavior management cards, one for literacy center rotation and one for reading groups.
pam50961 is offline   Reply With Quote

alohaspirit

Pocket Charts
Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use mine for Word Study word sorts and paragraph sentence strips. You can use them to display or sort math facts or just use them as a center. I wish I had more pocket charts.

alohaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lizar

Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi
I use them for my weekly spelling words. I also have a narrow schedule chart that I use for the daily schedule. I use them but I definitely had more uses for pocket charts in the lower grades.
Lizar is offline   Reply With Quote

Cookie28

charts
Old 05-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can also use the charts to post the class schedule.. it's good for the kids to see what is coming up... I like to come up with creative names for lessons and it keeps the kids guessing as to what we're learning about.. also it keeps me on track with time as well.
Cookie28 is offline   Reply With Quote

pinktxteacher

weekly pictographs
Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bought little boy/girl diecuts, let the kids decorate as themselves.
Then I pose a weekly question which the kids respond to by moving their little figure. At the end of the week they make a line or bar graph to match the data on the pictograph.
pinktxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I couldn't live with pocket charts! I'm allergic to chalk so I hang the charts with magnetic hooks on my chalkboards and even the heater. Sometimes I use push pins and attach them to a bulletin board. That's where I have my reading focus wall. Spelling words go in a small red apple chart, vocab cards and meanings go in another chart. I also use one for our class bank. Here is what it looked like today complete with sentence strips and money;
$173 (numbers 0-9 are kept in a small file)
$173 is an odd number
expanded form 100 + 70 + 3
digital root 2
Then there is a small place value chart below the pocket chart that stores the money.
I keep a desk close by to organize all the money, sentence strips, and numbers.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

kiry219

Old 05-20-2008, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love my pocket charts. I use them for many things.

Here are the things that I use them for all year.
1.) Spelling list
2.) My focus wall with vocabulary words from our latest novel.
3&4.) I have one for each of my Mountain Math and Mountain Language.
5.) I have a large one for my centers.
kiry219 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs B

lunch pocket chart
Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My most valuable pocket chart helps the kids to come into the room and take charge of their day. When they come into the room, they pass a pocket chart that is large with 4 inch sections on each row. Each child has a name card that is placed in spaces along the right side. They move their name into the column that records if they are eating hot lunch, salad bar or cold lunch. There are two columns used for hot lunch. One column is used for salad. Another column is used for cold lunch.

If the name is not moved, I can see at a glance who is absent or tardy.

I write what is on the menu for hot lunch on a stickie note and put it on the hot lunch card. My column cards are placed along the bottom, near the left side of the pocket chart.

For math lessons, I have replaced the names with shapes. I can easily write a key that helps the kids to alter the lunch chart into something that we are practicing...collecting data, making graphs and reading graphs.

Hope this helps!
Mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote