Help

ARCHIVE

morning work .. advice please :0)

>

teach_2_ms

morning work .. advice please :0)
Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want your opinion.. which do you prefer for morning work? The choices are Drops in the Bucket (by frog.com) or Daily Math Review and Daily Language Review (by Evan Moor). I am torn between which ones to use next year for morning work.

Eva
www.teacherweb.com/ms/collegepark/harvell

teach_2_ms is offline   Reply With Quote

Maestra

combo
Old 05-24-2008, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can't you just have the best of both worlds (that is if you like both choices) and use a combination?

I used Drops and also Math/Language reviews from Ed Creations. I alternate days or do 2 sided. It worked out great this year.
Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

Don't use either...
Old 05-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kids come in and enjoy choice reading or writing. They can read ANYTHING alone or with a partner (easy, challenging, just right) because during RW they are ''supposed" to be reading just right stuff. They can also write ANYTHING... cartoons, birthday cards, practice cursive, etc. also alone or with a partner. It is the most energized and engaged part of the day and I have nothing to grade! I've used this routine in second, third and fourth grades and with proper practice and clear expectations it works like a charm. Another bonus... the time can be adapted to meet the daily schedule. If I need a bit more time to get organized, I can use it and know the kids are occupied in a meaningful way. I use most of the time to meet with individuals or small groups to do interventions (second dosing for Rti)...
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

julie_ann_

i use both-
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We us e the daily math and problem solving m-f and do drops in the bucket on fridays. But i'm thinking of ways to change it up next year.
julie_ann_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do something similar to iluv3rd. It's much cheaper and involves no copying, like those books do.

I put up 3-5 math problems on the board and they solve them in a morning message journal. Sometimes I mix it up and do a sentence to correct, or questions based on the maps or globes. Usually it's math though. Sometimes story problems, but usually just math computation problems since our curriculum is not as strong with "mastering the standard algorithm." It's pretty amazing, but my kids have made HUGE gains this year by doing repeated practice of those computation problems, and we have gone beyond the curriculum standards because they were ready. I can sometimes even put up a problem or two that my lowest kids aren't ready for, but everyone else is. This allows me to sit with the low kids and have a few minutes to reteach them something.

They they have the choice to read or write until morning meeting. They do great writing and reading at this time.

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Winn-Dixie

Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for my morning work the kids have choices:

1. finish anything in their unfinished work folder
2. work on a poem - copy it, illustrate it, answer a question about it - everything goes into their morning work journal
3. work on a math review paper (on the backside i have a coloring page)
4. silent read or color in their morning work journal

I honestly don't care what they do during morning routine/arrival/work. As long as they are quiet and are keeping themselves busy - then I'm happy. I do not check any of their work. We may discuss a few things at morning meeting, but that's about it.
Winn-Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4ever

Don't Use Either
Old 05-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love this idea! Do you mind elaborating more on how you "train" your students to handle this? Do you begin this the first day or do you gradually move to the buddy system? Any and all explanation would be so helpful. I am going into my second year as a teacher so I am still learning patience with modeling and practicing until the students get it right.

We are moving to a multi-tiered concept next year and we will have very little time in the morning. I did "Drops" this year, but was always rushed to go over it and I certainly didn't feel like I had time to re-teach at that point. It was mainly give the answer and move on... .

Thanks for any help!
teach4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

austeach

I teach 1st grade...
Old 05-25-2008, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and the students read from baskets at their tables or get a book from the library for about the first 15 minutes of the day. Later in the morning they read from their browsing boxes which have leveled books that are at their independent level.
austeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

morning work
Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've never tried Drops, but I love the daily math and language reviews. I have different morning work for each day of the week (thanks to a poster on PT!):

Monday - daily math (1 sheet front and back)
Tuesday - daily language (1 sheet - front only because it takes more time)
Wednesday - word wall work (write a sentence with 5 words) or 2 handwriting pages (we have a book).
Thursday - journal
Friday - fun sheet (word search puzzle, coloring sheet, etc...)

When they finish their work, they put it in a morning folder and keep it in their desk. Then they read a book.

It's really not high maintenance because I just use the first few minutes of that subject that day to go over the work. For example, on Monday I spent the first 5 minutes of math going over the morning work. On Tuesday I spend the first 5 minutes of LA going over it. On Wed. and Thurs. I walk around and check the sentences, handwriting, or journal while they're reading. On Friday I don't check it - it's just for fun (I've worked them hard all week!) and goes in their "keep" side of their school-to-home connection.

I like it because it's a constant review of skills - and my 3rd graders really need that. It also keeps them busy and quiet (in a productive way!) in the mornings, so I can handle doctor/bus notes, attendance, etc...

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

iPeach

Mw
Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This year, I did the Daily Lang/Math from Evan-Moor and Drops on Friday. We also did the map practice from EM- it's great! At my school, we are required to stand outside our doors for 20 minutes - not only to greet students but for hallway behavior management. I need something quiet the students can do in the room by themselves. 20-30 min. is a long time so why not have them work on tested skills/essential skills?

In answer to your question, use both- maybe even alternate weeks. Check it together, have them place it in their mailbox, and hopefully one or two may actually go over it again after school!

iPeach is offline   Reply With Quote