table top divider ideas - ProTeacher Community

nhmtns

table top divider ideas
Old 05-25-2008, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have rectangular tables in my classroom with 4 kids per table. When my students take an assessment and need privacy, they stand up a folder or notebook. This doesn't work too well though because the folders and notebooks fall over easily.

Does anyone know of a simple table top divider that I could use to give each child a private work space? I'd love something non-permanent that I could easily put up and then fold up for storage when not in use. I've thought about making something with cardboard but I don't want something that looks bad.

Thanks in advance.

nhmtns is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetoteach

Table Dividers
Old 05-25-2008, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are several teachers in my school who have ordered table top dividers from this site.

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/

Also, you can make some using large cardboard boxes and cutting off one side and the bottoms and tops. We did this with computer boxes. They work well for assessment time.
lovetoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 05-25-2008, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A cheaper solution is to take two brad folders and tape the two ends together. They stay up better when there is two put together like this and offer more privacy. Wait till staples has its 1 cent sale and it'll be quite affordable!
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

momof2cuties

mini-offices
Old 05-25-2008, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use mini-offices in my classroom. They have held up well this year and I will be able to utilize them next year. Last year I allowed the students to store them at their seats and they were ruined! This year I kept them in a central location and we got them out when we needed them. Here is a link you could use to make them:

http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/teac...ni_offices.htm
momof2cuties is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

dividers
Old 05-25-2008, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I ordered the ones (called "shields") from Really Good Stuff this year and I love them! I keep them in a stack on a back counter, and the kids come up and get enough for their group when it's time for a test. When they finish their test, they put their divider back on the counter. They're stiff cardboard, but we used them all year and they look brand new!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

table dividers
Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use the same thing as "momof2cuties" but I call them privacy folders. Unfortunately I did not laminate mine this year and the kids kept them in their desk and they are in terrible condition. I'm going to make some new ones over the summer and will definitely laminate them this time!

The best part about using these is they were FREE. I got the file folders from my school's office & ran off all of the copies at school. The only thing I had to put in was my time & effort to make them.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

girlymom

file folders
Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taped two file folders together and then laminated them. My second graders use these for privacy. I keep them in the lid to a box of xerox paper on the bottom shelf of a bookcase. I have just finished my second year with them and they are in excellent shape. My suggestion is to make 5-6 more than you need-some of mine have developed legs and walked.
girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-25-2008, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How about getting boxes from appliance stores and cutting them to size? You could get several dividers from one box and the best part is they are FREE!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Privacy "offices"
Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I call them their offices. I use colored file folders and placed inside name tags that had lots of info on them such as alphabet, numbers, etc. I laminated them and they lasted all year. Since they had their name on the name tags I let them take them home. I like having them in colors because I can call a certain color to put their work/test away.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Privacy Offices
Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I took those trifold science posterboards (they use them for science fair displays) and cut them in half for their offices...they're the perfect size...and have held up quite well!
NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like the trifold presentation boards too. After the science fair, a bunch of them were left behind so I salvaged them to use next year. I may paint or cover them. I even got a nice foam core one that I'm going to make into an extra BB.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Great Ideas
Old 05-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I like the idea about using the display folders and cutting them. Those are not too expensive and I would think that they would hold up longer than the regular folders. Although all of your ideas are great. I too have rectangle tables and my kids were always complaining that someone was looking at their work, even when it wasn't a test. The idea about the appliance boxes is neat also.

thanks for the ideas !!
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

yogi

Even easier!
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also use folders that I have sometimes laminated and sometimes not, but instead of taping them together, I give each student a clothespin to keep in their pencil box and they clip them together at the top. I also call them their "offices" and they like them.
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 05-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We use the puzzle-piece type foam mats as our offices. (similar to these, but ours are about 15" across) I was able to pick them up in packs of 10 at our local discount store really cheaply last summer. I think it cost me $50 for enough mats for each child to use 3 interlocked (class of 30). They're worked REALLY well, and they still look like new. I just store them on a shelf and the kids grab them when needed.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

gateachk5

work -stations
Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

this is what we call our table dividers. I use the manila folders; 2 of them laminated into three walls. They were free because the school supplied the folders and we also have a free laminating machine with very thick film. I numbered the folders so that I can use them severak years. I let them use paper clips to hang papers that they might need to copy from or refer to when they're working. I considered putting number charts and other reference charts onto the work-stations before I laminated them but, thought that there might be times, like during testing that I didn't want them to have the charts to lean on. We have cubbies under our tables where the kids keep their books, so they keep it in there.
B
gateachk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Debra C

Debra C

What a good idea!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

They can be spray painted too.