Obnoxious middle school behavior - ProTeacher Community

annonymous

annonymous

Obnoxious middle school behavior
Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Gets worse near the end of the year. Passing gas. Farting. Spitballs. Leaving class without permission. Roaming the room. Tapping pencils against the desk. Hiding each other's stuff. Running into the room screaming and yelling. Name calling. Getting into the teacher's stuff. Refusal to do their work (some brag about having a 10 percent average in the class).Sometimes subs are blamed for such problems. But I pass by these rooms during planning period (when subbing for another teacher) and I see out of control behavior. TEachers are worn out at the end of year. They won't leave enough work because the lesson is winding down. And they don't want too to fool with grading the busy work. I DESPISE the end of the year. But I want the money.

I see students cursing principals out all the time. No respect. Popular culture with its music, movies and trashy novels aren't helping things, but that is beside the point.

wig

Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where is admin during all of this?

I will take my low salary in a parochial school anyday than deal with the above.

Being a sub is difficult enough without having to put up with this.

I am so sorry!
wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Bobthesub

Bobthesub

Old 05-08-2006, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello,

I had a day like this on Friday! It was so bad that the teachers on either side of the room came to the room at the same time and YELLED at the kids. Even with three adults raising their voices it took about five minutes for these kids to settle down. Of course they were worried about a bad report to their teacher. It was at that moment that I decided not to sub in this district next year. Student behavior at this middle school has been getting worse and worse over the past few years. As teachers retire I find that I'm also not getting any interviews for the positions - so, so long!

Thanks
Mr. X

Mr. X

Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I no longer go to a certain middle school. Middle schools don't have to be like this--the administration has to be very firm. They can't back down!

There's one middle school I do go to fairly often. The administration and the teachers back me 100%, and they don't put up with atrocious behavior. Yes, there are some classes that aren't easy, but for the most part, it isn't a bad school.

I know what you're saying about certain kids being "happy" about low grades. Two weeks ago was report card day at that school, and I heard one seventh grade boy bragging to the others that he got all Es on his report card. Very sad.
Sad

Sad

Old 09-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The bad kids just take over the class which is sad to see.They are given too much freedom in the class. They should know they are suppose to behave and respect other pepole or adults.They Should be immediatly taken out of the class and be disciplined so good kids can at least thrive.

MikeRocode

You're scaring me...
Old 09-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've only subbed elem levels these last 5 yrs. I was asked to sub in the middle school the week after next. It will be my FIRST experience at this level.

I kinda wanted to see what it would be like. I guess I'll find out a week from Friday.

...Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

i-sub-2

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is not a normal middle school situation.

Yes, students at this age can be a challenge, but they can also be fun and enjoyable to teach. While I have seen all of these situations, I have never seen them all in the same classroom or on a regular basis.
i-sub-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
james r

james r

Students are obnoxis
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have had the same problems kids are distracting the thankful one and they are always loud. Each day i see students on there i-pods,mp3s and i-phones every day. Those students should be expelled until they get the message. Movies,shows and even fiction books(diary of a wimpy kid) are not helping. One of the nice students i had last year once told me he lied too a sub to get the kids answers. I don't even want to wake up in the morning.
james r

james r

Students are obnoxis
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had the same problems kids are distracting the thankful one and they are always loud. Each day i see students on there i-pods,mp3s and i-phones every day. Those students should be expelled until they get the message. Movies,shows and even fiction books(diary of a wimpy kid) are not helping. One of the nice students i had last year once told me a bad kid lied too a sub to get the nice kids answers. I don't even want to wake up in the morning. Middle schoolers can be enjorble, when you don't have to put up with it. I have seen students cuse teachers,subs and even the Principal. I saw students before yell out" I am all F student. We need to do something.
JJSub

JJSub

Permanent Sub in a District
Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I truly feel for all of you. I am part of something totally different as I am expected to work everyday and even coach one varsity sport and now two middle school sports. I agree with all of you that it is an administration and teacher issue. They do not want to deal with the issue you are facing as they only feel they see it when the normal teacher is not present. It is simply not reported and this makes the situation worse. This is a complete lie as students will only act up on subs if they have no respect for their classroom teacher. I taught in the middle school for six years before I went to corporate America and my students never treated a sub like some of you have been treated. It is the teachers responsibility to establish consequences for any behavior that you as a sub are forced to deal with. No matter what! I have returned out of personal choice and I have to say I have enjoyed things to date. The baloney about being a poor student is simply a joke that students use to get out of things everyday or at home,
I leave a detailed note each day and copy the principal. We have a form that is filed within the district that reflects upon the subs experience and the classroom teachers files a similar form which remains on file that I can check to see how they followed up on anything that may have occurred or their opinion of my work. I enjoy the middle school but I came from there and also dealt with physicians who had a short attention span as well. I wish all of you the best and hope that you can find a situation you enjoy or a full time position, if that is what you are seeking. Best of luck everyone!

Mr. H

Where the admins go
Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've noticed that during the last two weeks of school, the admins tend to retreat to their offices and close the door.
Mr. H is offline   Reply With Quote
helpless

helpless

Middle school specials
Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am not a sub but teach a specials class for middle school twice a week for a half an hour. Most of them treat me like dirt by talking the whole time and fighting me when i tell them do any little task, like put something away, or move to a different spot because they are talking to their friends.
I have a behavior reflection for them to fill out when they are terrible, but my room is so small i don't have room for them to fill it out and feel a sense of isolation.

It is not just the end of the year that is bad, it is the WHOLE year.

They are self contained and their teacher says that she doesn't have any problems with them but i've noticed that teachers with effective classroom management have classes that respect me as well.
I am also pregnant and the added stress of dealing with this selfish, and un- forgiviable behavior i believe is a hazard to myself and my baby.

For the end of the year, i just sort of give up to keep my blood pressure down. At this school, there is nothing else i can do, they are spoiled and teachers who send students to administration are looked down upon.

Good luck to all special teachers with middle schoolers from you know where
k8ordie

k8ordie

Scared of this post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What is truly scary is not the middle-level kids, but your complete lack of ability to spell and to punctuate. No wonder our kids are so "ignant" if the teachers can't use the correct "their" instead of "there", or use "too" instead of "to". Let's also take a moment to review why and when to use an apostrophe. Expelling a student until they get the message? The very act of expulsion means they are not to return, message received or not. Please tell me you don't work in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Frightening.
watchdog

watchdog

Old 11-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hey K8ordie; your name should be K9femledog. "The very act of expulsion means" is an incorrect use of the word "expulsion". Either eliminate "the very act of" and begin the sentence with "Expulsion"; or change to “The very act of expelling..." You have demonstrated quite arrogantly the ignorance of Mr. Pot and Mr. Tea kettle.

nadine1

Not normal but common
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Exceptions are certain neigborhood and advanced classes. In general we subs are often disrespected and I will do anything to stay from middle school assigngments from now on. You can see that these jobs online are taken only at the end of the day when subs don't have other options. Students talk over us, or ignore us and continue talking. I had students to give me the finger or call me bitch behind my backs because they heard a no from me. Some will roll their eyes at us. Principals should do more to help solving the problem. Teachers also should help by leaving plenty of work to be done by students. Unless this material is graded by the teacher students will not see incentive to do the work. I see lots of talks about bullying lately but the disrespect to subs is nothing but bullying in the classroom.
nadine1 is offline   Reply With Quote