Help

ARCHIVE

K-4 phonics based spelling program?

>

pmpkin

K-4 phonics based spelling program?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use a phonics and/or spelling program K-4 that you like? We are looking at getting rid of Sitton Spelling and replacing it with a systematic phonics program. We are considering EPS Phonics Plus,Chall-Popps, Month-by-Month Phonics. Administration is open to anything else-this NEVER happens, so we want to make a good choice!

pmpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ha. We just moved TO Sitton! Isn't it funny how each school is different?

No advice. Just wanted to comment.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

friendlypoofy

Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Month by Month phonics is really, really helpful! I also supplement that with word study but using Words Their Way and other resources from various programs like Fountas and Pinnell. I find these programs to be more hands-on, while still explicit enough. The kids have fun doing a lot of them.
friendlypoofy is offline   Reply With Quote

pmpkin

Friendlypoofy...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would agree, the problem is we're looking for something inclusive so that we don't have to supplement. I like all of those programs but the problem we're having is that everyone is doing whatever across the grades, so we need some consistency.

jmartell

We are moving to Sitton...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Any reason why you guys are ditching Sitton? We use the Scott Foresman reading program phonics right now and it's just ok. I have heard great things about Month-by-Month...

jmartell is offline   Reply With Quote

pmpkin

Hate Sitton
Old 05-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sitton goes against what research says. The program is a sight word program, not spelling. The kids are introduced to five (very easy) words at the beginning of each unit. They are tested on 16 words in cloze at the end and one phonics skill. There are way too many activities in each unit and the phonics skills are NOT systematic.

ConnieWI

Words Their Way
Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I highly recommend Words Their Way. My district bought each teacher Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction by Donald Bear (and others) and our staff development began with this book. They also purchased the student word study notebooks (Celebration Press) for each child. This program comes with computer CDs that include the weekly word lists, teacher materials for teaching each sort, and the games for each sort.

This first year has been busy...continued grade level staff development, making the games for each sort and cards to play the games, and materials the teacher needs to introduce each sort. However, I love the program. My students are much better spellers. I also like the fact that students are pretested and then placed at their spelling level. In my room, I have seven students at Level B, twelve students at level C, and seven students at level D.

Next year will be so much easier because everything is now made and I have kept everything organized in binders with plastic sleeves.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

spelling
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I truly don't think there is a quality canned spelling program out there. The only spelling program that has ever worked for me is individual spelling lists and phonic practice based on students' written work in the classroom. I base all phonic and spelling instruction this way. I group children who are having difficulty with certain sounds together during my Words block and give each child his/her own list of spelling words. Transfer in spelling only usually takes place when the children take "ownership" of the words- you can give lists galore but after a week most have forgotten the words. It is so much more powerful when the spelling words come directly from the child's work.
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote