how do you teach word families in K - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

jz2

jz2

how do you teach word families in K
Old 06-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 1st but am going to k and was wondering how to teach word families in K. I have cards and the Carson Dellosa word family pictures I hang. We have a chunk book we make, but was wondering what I should do for K. Help!

interested

Congrats on your move to K!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Word families are interesting because you will think the kids get rhyming, but then they seem to get easily confused between when you are asking them for the beginning sound of a word, and rhyming!
So, the word family pictures are definitely good. You might want to take it slowly, and have them practice making new words when they are journaling, or writing. I have a crown for the "King of -ing" for a child to wear during writing time. This is a reminder to the other students that if they want to write a word with -ing, they can look at the crown. Once several students seem to have mastered that, then we move onto another family, or ending chunk. Again, having a crown or hat for a child to wear. Hope this helps.
interested is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

word families
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's one activity I do that the children enjoy....

Write a word from the word family on the board (i.e. cat)
Ask a child to change the word to bat. The child comes to the board, erases the c and writes a b. Keep changing the word until you've done all the words in the word family. The children really enjoy the erasing and writing on the board and it helps them see that the ending always stays the same.

Enjoy K. Remember, in Sept they are babies. Since you're used to the "grown up" first graders, you might find it frustrating at first. Hang in there, it's really fun!
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

word families...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The Carson Dellosa pictures are great and I would definitely use them! Last year was my first year teaching and so I kind of played the word families thing by ear...some teachers at my school do one word family a week until they're all taught, but I spent a lot longer on each one. I think one of the big things that helps is to re-create and read the word family over and over. On the first day of introducing the new family, I made a word family ladder with cardstock and tape-we just listed all of the words we could come up with from that family. On other days, we would read the ladder or I would give them the word family and have them put different letters in front of it on the whiteboard. I also tried to incorporate the word family stuff into literacy stations-making word families with magnetic letters for example, or using mini white boards and markers to re-create the activity we did whole group, or copying the word family ladders into their Read the Room/Write the Room notebooks. I think repetition is the key! I also tried to do something "cute" with each word family to have them remember-I can't think of all the different stuff of the top of my head, but we made "-ay" word family books using a cut-apart individual serving size bag of Lay's potato chips as the front and back...we made "-at" word family books on Cat in the Hat shaped books...you could come up with your own activities for each word family. Good luck!
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
rol0002

rol0002

New Kinder Teacher
Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really like the ideas you all have provided, but here is my questions: which word families are taught in Kindergarten? All the resource books I have bought are K-2 or K-3, so I need to know which ones to do.

Thanks

lablover3

word family list
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here are the ones we work on first.
Teach 3 word family each six weeks. Hope this will help some!

1st / 2nd six weeks at, an, ap
3rd six weeks et, ig, in
4th six weeks og, op, ot
5th six weeks ing, ip, it
6th six weeks - ug, un, up

Teach 2 chunks each six weeks.

1st / 2nd six weeks th, ee
3rd six weeks sh, oo
4th six weeks ch, er
5th six weeks or, ou/ow
6th six weeks ar, oi/oy
lablover3 is offline   Reply With Quote