Help

ARCHIVE

2-Way Communication with Parents

>

texas123

2-Way Communication with Parents
Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are the different ways you guys reach out to parents? Is there anything unique that you feel that really works or that you would like to share?
-Parent/Teacher Conferences
-Workshops focused on math or reading strategies
-Invite them in for Author's Publishing parties
-Phone calls home, home visits

Can you think of more....

texas123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rosieo

Old 06-08-2008, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

web sites
email - this is the one I use most often
Rosieo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ellensclass

All of the above!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't do the workshops myself, but the school does.
Remember that positive contacts are just as important (maybe even more!) than negative ones.
I also do a weekly (Friday) behavior report that also includes work habits etc. The parents really like it. I do it for all of the kids.
I encourage parents to e mail me too, as I am not always easy to reach by phone. I just had business cards made for the first time. I have always done them myself, but found a great buy and they are really much nicer.

Ellensclass is offline   Reply With Quote

Courtney451

Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. web pages
  2. monthly newsletters
  3. weekly homework packs that have a cover sheet
  4. weekly behavior reports
Courtney451 is offline   Reply With Quote

jmartell

agendas and book club
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use agendas in our school that include a page for notes right next to the day of the week. Parents write to me and I write to them. I also have a book club. There are usually about 4-5 groups, each group reading a different book. I invite the parents to read with their kids and then have a book club every other Friday. The parents come in and sit with their group and listen to the kids discuss (I give the kids specific jobs to do for the book so they have a jumping off point to get them talking.) The parents join in the discussion, help to expand on the kids' ideas etc. It is a really nice time.

jmartell is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

parent outreach
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

schedule student performances..one grade level per month

this worked well at my school

arrange after school sports teams..this brings parents in too
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have these little cards that are called " Praise Cards" . I think they were purchased from Really Good stuff. These are sent home with students when they have done a great job or gone above and beyond.

My school really encourages parent involvement. I really talk up coming to each lunch with the their child and some do come every single week. We have a few pic-nics during the year, and we invite our parents. Nothing fancy, just sack lunches (brought from home) and time to visit and eat together.

We didn't do it this year, but last year my class had a play that we performed for the parents. That was a lot of fun. This year's class was too wild to even attempt that, but hopefully next year we can again.

Volunteer in the room- Depeding on the parent, they may read with a child, hang up/take down boards, cut out things, help with parties, field trips, etc. Some of mine have to do work at their home, but they are willing to do it.

Other have always said these, but you know I find the more involved I make my parents, the better year I have.
- email - so much quicker than phone calls
- progress reports
- newsletters
- phone-
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are in a military town, and we are hoping that his year we can have a military family appreciation day.

We also use our parent volunteers in the library, guidance office, bookfairs, sock-hops, and other events we have. PTO usually takes care of this part.

Don't forget to utilize the occupations and talents of your parents. What better way to relate real-life to your content.

Miller

Old 06-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

website, email, and a folder that goes home weekly with conduct, tests, and homework grades.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeDeb

Old 06-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use a daily agenda, a weekly homework calendar, a weekly take-home folder with an academic/behavior report, conferences-formal and informal. Parents can also leave me messages through the office.

2ndGradeDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Kare

Parent Communication
Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have the parents fill out a sheet that includes things that will help me know their child as a student and as an individual. Things like favorite book and TV show, siblings and parents, academic strenghts and weaknesses, medical info, and friendships. This sheet is sent home soon after the school year starts and then about 2 weeks after school has begun we have "Getting to Know You" conferences. We talk about getting to know their child and not about progress. We also talk about when is the best time to reach them and how to reach them. This starts the year off on a good note.
Kare is offline   Reply With Quote

Jump4Joy

Parents
Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think the most important thing is the regular and consistent communication. I do a weekly progress report for the first semester, and after that it's every other week. My students complete a Homework Assignment sheet that parent and I initial each day. It also includes their behavior for the day. Even though it's 5th grade, my kids need organizational habits and parents need constant feedback to be sure the kids aren't slacking. We have monthly celebrations that parents are invited to attend in the classroom. Most parents can't attend because they work, but they always contribute food/drinks, etc. For the most part, I believe that my parents are very involved and supportive of what we do. It also has a lot to do with the students and their willingness to be sure they keep parents informed when papers go home. Sometimes we email each other, but everyone isn't online. I am very happy with the kind of support and involvement that I have with parents. Whatever you do next year, just try really hard to be consistent. Hope that helps.
Jump4Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

There was a post similar on the busy board, was that you that posted? If not you may want to go to the other board since several people have responsed.