ARCHIVE

Sports/Team Theme

>

Closed Thread

WPE08

Sports/Team Theme
Old 06-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year teaching and would love to go all out with a sports theme. I am looking for any ideas to use with this theme and would like to incorporate a classroom management system that goes along with the theme.

My school has an extension teacher for each grade level so I will only be teaching Math, Reading, and Language Arts. The downside to this is that I will see other teacher's students so the classroom management system will have to work for about 2, maybe 3 groups of students.

Please give me any ideas or tips for my first year!! Thanks!!

IndyRae

Sports Theme Ideas
Old 06-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's a list of sports bulletin board headers and misc. ideas I have compiled from my searches online (many from Proteacher message boards) over the last 3 years. I hope this helps!

Word Study: Tackling Tough Words and Homerun Spelling

Writing: Writer's Arena and On the "Write" Track

Reading: Reader's Dugout, Catch a Great Book, and Look Whose Been Caught Reading

Math: We've "Aced" Our Math Facts, Major League Math, and Touchdown!

Behavior:The Penalty Box, On Track with Good Behavior, On the Right Track, and 3 Strikes and You're Out! You could also have some type of scoreboard for rewarding positive behavior.

Classroom Jobs: Team Positions and Special Teams

Morning Work: Morning Kickoff

Other Management Ideas: Arrange desks into "teams" and have each team choose a college or pro sports team name, for your birthday wall you could use the phrase, "Have a Ball on Your Birthday!"

Displaying Student Work: Grand Slam Work, All-Star MVPs, Shoot or Aim for Success, Wall or Hall of Fame, Racing to Success, and Give it Your Best Shot

Beginning of the School Year: A Great New Line Up, Have a Record Breaking Year, (Your Name) All-Star Line-up, Start Your Engines, (Your Name) Starting Lineup, Batter Up for a Great Year, and Get a Kick Out of Learning

Let me know if you need any ideas on what supplies to use or how to create any of the boards listed above. I think I have tried all of them at least once.

Good Luck!

-Stephanie

WPE08

Amazing Ideas
Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the wonderful ideas Stephanie. Now I am even more excited about getting started. I just hope all of this is not going to be too overwhelming for my first year. I will deal with it!! Please do share any of the materials you have used to decorate bulletin boards or your room with. You can never get enough ideas for something like this!

Do you have pictures of your sports themed room? If so, please send any of them to sheleerobinson@gmail.com!

Thanks again Stephanie. If you have any other ideas, keep em' coming!!

IndyRae

Sports Pictures, etc.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will do my best to send some pictures soon. I think I have a few to get you started, but I think they are on my school computer so I will try to e-mail them to you when I go into school next week. You might also want to do a search on this site (Proteacher). On May 10th of 2008, a post called "Sports Ideas" has several more ideas and descriptions of how to's. Also, a post called "My Sports Themed Classroom This Year..." posted on May 11th of this year has great ideas. Sorry to overwhelm you.

Let me know if you'd like other ideas. I don't know if you do the Everyday Math program or any of the new literacy programs at your school such as Fountas & Pinnell's Guided Readers and Writers or Word Study (Words Their Way, etc...), but if you do, I am a template/graphic organizer queen (or so my 5th grade colleagues say I am). I have several materials that I have created for upper grades. You may also want to visit Beth Newingham's (Awesome wesite-she even has ideas for classroom themes!) or Laura Candler's website. You can find them with a quick google search. They have loads of materials you may find useful for your first year. Hope this helps and doesn't overwhelm you even more.

You'll get through your first year and it will be over before you know it. Have fun with your students and you'll do great!!!

-Stephanie

Cowboymom

Thanks from me too...
Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Stephanie,

Thanks from me too! I was leaning toward the "sports/team" theme as well and these are great ideas!

WPE08

Beth Newingham
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been in love with her classroom since I saw it about a year ago now. I have printed so much of her things off and she has given me so much inspiration. Which I guess it helps to have a background in technology because she creates a lot of those things with her computer program. It's simply amazing!! Oh, and yes Laura Candler has great stuff too.

Thank you again and no you didn't overwhelm me. I just went yesterday to get a bunch of things and I am doing some craft things over the summer to use for my class too!! It's may be stressful but it's going to be fun and is definitely worth it!!

sunshine3322

sport theme, items
Old 06-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Stephanie, where do you get all of your garb? I'd like to do the sports theme but don't want to spend a whole lot. Do you have any pictures of your room. Could you email me at clouis@ceres.k12.ca.us

kellihenry

Pictures, please?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Stephanie,
I have a sports theme also. I am wanting to update and do some more things this year. I would love to see some pictures if you don't mind. My e-mail address is khenry@cnpschools.org
Thanks so much! Everyone have a wonderful summer!

missypooh80

Sports theme
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi I am also trying to create a sports theme for my fifth graders. I would love to see your classroom pictures.

WPE08

Any Pics?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Stephanie I'm not sure if you have seen my post yet but I was hoping you could send me some pics of your sports themed classroom? I am starting to decorate my room next week and would love to see your pictures.

If anyone else has gotten pictures from Stephanie would you mind just forwarding those to me? Thank you so much! If there are any other ideas besides the one posted here please share. I'm not good with just thinking of creative ideas like Stephanie's so I apologize for not sharing any. It's just that I don't have any others. I will post some pics of my room once I get finished. I haven't even started yet so it might be a while. Good luck to all of you and Happy Decorating/Teaching!!

WPE08

:(
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No pics yet. If you have any others you have come across please send me a pm so that I can give you my e-mail address. It may already be posted on this thread?? Not sure. I would love to see them soon because I have to start decorating this week! Thank you all!

IndyRae

Yikes!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the wonderful replies and your interest in my classroom sports photos. I apologize for leaving you hanging. I have been out of town and have been offline at home for a few weeks now so I didn't realize all the comments I had recieved from my orginal post. I am back up and running finally. Again, I apologize to keep leaving you hanging. I am going out to school on Monday. I will get you pictures shortly. I hope you haven't given up on me, I am usually much more prompt. Hang tight. If you want to give me your e-mail addresses, I will forward them to everyone at the same time. I am new at using Proteacher, so I don't know how well I will do at trying to post them on this site or running a link from it. Thanks!

-Stephanie

IndyRae

A million e-mails
Old 07-14-2008, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hey let me know if you got all the documents and pictures. I sent them to everyone by way of 4 e-mails. If you have trouble viewing the pictures because they take up the entire screen, you should be able to open up a smaller view by clicking on the little picture icon attachments at the bottom of the e-mails or by double-clicking on any portion of the large photo and downloading them to your computer. Keep in touch! Thanks!!!

WPE08

Pictures Received :)
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Stephanie, I did receive your pictures! They are great. I understand about being busy and out of town so do not worry about it. I knew you would come through eventually. I do want to know more about your Slam Dunk Behavior. I saw the pics of it and I was wondering how you got the basketballs to mount on the wall so that the clothespins can clip to them? Please let me know. I definitely want to do that!! THanks again for taking the time to send your pics. Your classroom looks great and it really helps me!!

IndyRae

Slam Dunk Behavior Policy
Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am glad you liked my ideas! It took me a while to create and execute the Slam Dunk Behavior system. As far as the set up goes the "In bounds" is a Nerf basketball hoop I bought at Meijer for $3.00. I clipped the clothespins to the rim. All of the basketballs are cutouts from the United Art & Education store (you can also find them at party supply stores and possibly the dollar store). I used velcro to mount the basketball cutouts to meijer sherbet ice cream lids, but any lids will do as long as they have a lip to clip clothespins to. You could also use the hard plastic plates you find at any grocery store. I wouldn't recommend paper or styrofoam plates, they tear easily. I used velcro to mount the cutouts so that I can change the system to a different sports theme or different theme all together next year. Once students get to their 5th foul they clip their clothespin to the orange basket that which is going to hold office referrals in it. I have also developed a clipboard checklist for myself in order to keep track of daily behavior and parent contacts. Would you like me to e-mail you a copy? Once I get all my homework stuff up and running, I will e-mail you that too. Have fun decorating your room!!! I'd love to see pictures

WPE08

Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think I understand how you did it now. That's great and it also adds some depth (3-D look) to the wall! Please do e-mail me anything sports related you have. I am already so overwhelmed and I have yet to meet with my grade level or go to new teacher orientation!! AHHHH!!! I have gotten so many ideas and help from PT and I am so grateful for that!! Thank you again Stephanie. I will post pics as soon as I get it all ready!! Might be a little while.

IndyRae

You'll be great!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Don't worry if you don't get around to the pictures. I remember my first year because it was only four years ago. Time flies and everything is very overwhelming, especally at first. Take one day and one task at a time, everything will get done. Use your first and even second year as experimentation. Try all your ideas one at a time and if something works well than save the idea in a file, if it doesn't don't worry about it...toss it out the door because there will always be other (better) ideas that come along. I am known as the template/organization queen with my co-workers so if you need anything at all, let me know. I have a lot of ideas and have spent the last 3 years trying a ton of different(reserach-based and "best practice") ideas, some that have worked well and others that haven't. Let me know what I can do to help lighten your load. Good luck and most of all have fun this year...I'm sure you'll be a great teacher

IndyRae

Forwarded
Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I forwarded 4 e-mails to the both of you. Let me know if you received them and the pictures came out okay. Like I told all the other teachers listed above, some of the boards are incomplete because I am waiting on a few orders and such to come in. I willl try to post the final products and other things later as I finish them.

IndyRae

Failed attempt
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I tried forwarding you all the e-mails of my sports bulletin boards, but your server is rejecting mail from me. I will keep trying. Also, I don't know how helpful my ideas will be for school-wide type bulletin boards, but you're welcome to whatever you find helpful. Maybe it will at least spark a different idea for you to at least get started with.

IndyRae

???
Old 07-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Did you get all 4 e-mail messages from me???

IndyRae

Sports stuff
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd let you know that I found a really cute sports area rug for $18 at Burlington Coat Factory today. I aslo went to Tuesday Morning and found a football shaped outdoor mat for $7. Happy shopping!

P.S. rmewife97 I will forward you all the e-mails I forwarded everyone else. Again, my bboards are not all complete, nor is my classroom completely decorated. I look forward to getting those pictures to everyone closer to the start of my school year Aug. 15th.

-Stephanie

IndyRae

E-mails sent
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I forwarded all the e-mails to the last three of you who inquired about them. Also, I got several more things done in my classroom so I will be taking more pictures soon and getting them to everyone shortly.

rmewife97

Thank you!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thank you so much for your wonderful ideas. It helps me soo much...

MSolomon

Old 07-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Stephanie, I know that you have emailed the team theme pictures to many teachers but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sending them to me. I've been teaching for many years but this is the first time I am using the team theme in my room and I would love to see what your did in your classroom. Thanks so much
My email is Ladyhiker2@aol.com

IndyRae

More e-mails sent (with explanations!)
Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Hey everyone! I added pictures and documents with very detailed explanations to the last 8 or so people who have requested to see my ideas. For those of you I did not originally send attached explanations for each of the pictures, please ask the other educators on this blog to forward them to you, if you are still interested. School starts for me next week, so I can't promise I will be checking in as frequently. I hope you found my ideas helpful and as mentioned before I would REALLY appreciate ideas/pictures in return from all of you. You can reach me at skimmerly@elkhart.k12.in.us. I look forward to seeing all your great ideas!

P.S. To those of you I just sent the 3 e-mails to, let me know if you had any problems opening the attachments.

Thanks

Stephanie

IndyRae

Not a Happy Camper
Old 08-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Okay. So all 3 e-mails came back to me since they were all way too big. I have spent the last hour disecting them and trying to resend them to everyone. My e-mail is making me VERY mad. I still am not having any luck. I hope to try again tomorrow or Monday when I have had a long enough "time out" from my e-mail account. I spent a LONG time putting it all together for each of you, so don't fret I WILL get my pictures and explanations to you somehow, some way, and sometime soon. Sorry for the delay.

P.S. Please let me know if any of you did in fact get any of the pictures. I am crossing my fingers that my lovely school e-mail account has not completely screwed me over (once again...)

Thanks!

Stephanie

Texasteddy

New @ Sports Theme
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Stephanie~
I am new to Pro-teacher and just began looking up sports theme ideas. It will be our school theme for two years! I would love to see your pics if you wouldn't mind mailing them to me @ detheridge@coppellisd.com. So far it has been fun collecting things to use for the theme.
For, our newsletter, we are using "All Star News ~We're in the Game for Kids" and we are having banners made: "TEAM (teacher's name here)~We're in the Game!" to hang outside each teacher's door on our team. Class meetings will be called "Huddle Time". My son is going to build me a "mini-dugout" w/a bench to go in my library corner which will be the "Reading Dugout". I'll share more as we go!
Would love to hear from others that have used the theme too. Please feel free to email me!
Thanks!
Debbie E. in Texas