Lesson on Photosynthesis - ProTeacher Community

Maestradel5

Lesson on Photosynthesis
Old 06-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students are going to be learning about Photosynthesis which could be a concept that is difficult to understand. I already have some ideas for technology that could be used along with this. We have a powerpoint presentation that was found on-line now I just need to find some other things that could enhance this. Any ideas would be great.

Maestradel5 is offline   Reply With Quote

love5th

Photosynthesis
Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First I have my 5th graders tell me what they ate the night before. We make a list on the board. Then I ask them if they've ever seen a flower or tree eat any of these items. They all laugh and of course say "no". So I ask them how plants get food.

Next I share the "recipe" for photosynthesis. Sun+Water+CO2=photosynthesis You could have them make recipe cards for plants, using their own creative words for the ingredients and directions for plants to make food. I have them draw pictures too. If you want they could do it on paper and then combine them to make a cookbook for your class plants (if you have them like I do)

I find that this just makes it a little more simplistic and puts it in terms they can understand.
love5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 06-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are leaf experiments where you cover a part of a leaf and observe it over time eventually it will turn white (I think) from lack of sun.

Also, the story Top Secret by Gardiner is an excellent read aloud about a boy who tries to invent human photosynthesis
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote