What else can I do with a teaching degree? - ProTeacher Community

jayhawks91

What else can I do with a teaching degree?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Add me to the list of teachers getting out. I have taught 14 years, have my master's degree and my National Boards and hanging up my apples. I used to love teaching, but have lost my passion and am ready for some balance in my life. This is not a new vent, I realize.

My problem is I can't afford a 20,000 pay cut. What else can I do that is full time and will pay me about 60 grand? I am not needing a pay increase, just not a cut in my lifestyle ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

SusanTeach

new job
Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you're okay with some traveling, my friend just got a job as a rep for a textbook publisher. You go around to the different school districts and promote the books. I'm sure you've had some visit your school before. From what she said, it was an offer she couldn't refuse - so I'm guessing it's a better deal than her pay as a VP.

jayhawks91

re: new job
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you know what company she works for? There seem to be 2 big companies, but I want to make sure I am not missing one. Thanks!

shuntyswife

Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could go to work for an education service center as a consultant or something. I went through an alternative cert. program and all of the ladies involved with the program were former teachers! They are now helping prepare future teachers for the classroom.

You could also be an instructor at a college. I know quite a few who teach upper ed. with a master's degree. You could even get your principal's cert. through a alternative program, or get certified to be a guidance couselor.

You really do have a lot of options! Good luck with whatever avenue you choose!

Tex

What to do...
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I kinda did the opposite. I was a Training Director for large electric utilities. During the course of my tenure I hired a number of ex-teachers as trainers.

I know through various Rotary and Chamber of Commerce meetings many large companies and corporations are eager to hire ex-teachers in their Training Depts....it's a natural transition.

Just as a caveat...the reason I left big business was because I wanted to do something meaningful and I was so tired of the culture. Politics, pressure, back stabbing, long hours, questionable ethics and morals. Dont get me wrong...these issues may also be present in the teaching environment...but they are 10, 20 and 30 fold in business. The pay was wonderful...but definately not worth it. The best decision I ever made was to leave the business and corporate world and enter teaching.

danc2themusic

My husband asked me the very same thing
Old 07-03-2008, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the other day. I am a second career teacher who can not keep a job in a system longer than a year because of non-professional status and bad budjets.

Good luck on your new adventure!

kriziawa

Other Jobs
Old 07-12-2008, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

1. Training for any company
2. Promoting medical supplies
3. Representing pharmacies to bring products to doctors
4. Work for the curricukum department at a district
5. Work for major educational agencies
6. Educational toys and books

bokajosu

Teach College Courses
Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A lot of our retired teachers are now teaching education courses at our local colleges. Some that are still teaching are even doing professional development courses on the weekends and in the summer.
Suspended

Driven2BG
Suspended

Some More Options
Old 08-10-2008, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

1. Library Services: Although you may need a MLS, librarians can do well.
2. Tutoring Center: Lots of jobs through NCLB; just saw one starting over six figures.
3. Community College: There are always tutoring services, admission advisers, etc.
4. Nonprofit Administration: Work at a local youth agency, educational office, etc.
5. Work for 4-H: 4-H seems to be always hiring; I think the pay can tend to be low; however they may allow you to moonlight as a professor.
6. Financial Adviser: There is always a need for teachers to have good benefits.
7. Consultant: Start your own consulting business, you can focus on curriculum, etc.
Teachnomore

Teachnomore

Thanks for the 411
Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the alternate job choices to teaching. I am kind of a first year teacher, sort of. I went through an alternative program that is sponsor dependent but my sponsorship fell through due to budget cuts. I have been subbing and the work is so irregular. I have been trying for over 2 years to get another sponsor but with no luck. I just started an MBA program and I hope to become a corporate trainer. I used to work in the corporate world and I liked it better than education.

So thanks for posting other options

Last edited by Editor; 03-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: formatting problem

LynetteB

Wanting to retire!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm with you! What else is there?
I have taught 30+ year (sigh) and have seen many changes in education over the years. It isn't that I don't like teaching (I do!) or that I really want to quit (I don't) except for the many, many hours I put into it each and every day. However, now that I'm at 30+ years, I've "capped out" of our "step" pay so the only raise I'll ever see is cost-of-living, which isn't really a raise at all. Having been fairly recently divorced (two years), I'm starting all over again with a 28-year mortgage and I HAVE to continue working. If I retire, I will have to make enough between my retirement and another job to make no less than what I make now. (More would be better because I hardly make enough now to make ends meet!) People tell me other professions love to hire teachers (I guess because we work hard and have to have an attention to detail... I'm not sure) but I have no idea where to begin looking. I only have teaching skills and I don't know what other jobs use this skill set. I don't really want a high-stress job (already have one of those!) and I would really like to work from home or a part time job. At a time in my life when I really should be able to retire and rest, I'd at least like to do something non-stressful. Does anyone know where to search or what types of jobs are fitting for a retired teacher that would pay decently well? Being retired, I can't work another full-time teaching job and part-time doesn't pay enough.