Dog Nudges - ProTeacher Community

tammynj

Dog Nudges
Old 06-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My dog nudges me a lot. I can read some of his nudges (take me out, play with me, I'm hungry), esp. if they are accompanied by a whine or direct gaze. But sometimes, like if I am sitting in my office typing on PT, he will just come in, nudge my elbow, and then lie down under my chair. He does this sort of thing a lot. My question is, why does he do that? Is he just saying hello? Does anyone else have a pet that does the same thing?

snapshot

I got a nudger....
Old 06-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

we call it "shovel nosing!"

He usually does it when he wants to snuggle or someone to pet him. When he was a puppy he actually climbed on the bed as I sat at the computer at a desk about two feet away. He jumped right onto my lap!

Sometimes he'll put his nose under your hand and wiggle around until it's on his head...then just stands there waiting for you to pet him!!

You'd think he was deprived...but we are always mauling him!

Toni

My dog does that too!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think she just wants constant love. She was a rescue dog, & she is still neurotic after all these years.

She loves to lay on my feet when I'm on the computer.

mein10

Annoying
Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My dog will do that when I am on the computer and he has to go out. If I don't pay attention he'll grab some object nearby and walk off with it so I HAVE to pay attention to him. He just won't take no for an answer! I guess it beats the alternative and he is a German shepherd so the alternative isn't pretty!

Jalon

nudges
Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a nudger also. Whenever he's ready for attention, he'll nudge whichever one of us is around at the time. It can annoy DH because when he's not traveling his office is home and Peyton can get on his nerves if he starts nudging during important calls.

linny22

dog nudger
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ruby is pretty easy to read with her nudges. If she wants to play, she'll take her toy and place it on my body. When she wants to go outside she'll bark or run like a maniac throughout the house. Sometimes she'll just walk up to me on the computer and nudge me, I take it that she wants my attention.

phantomteach

nudges
Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My dog does the same thing, and I think they mean different things. When I am sitting down, he will come over, and just touch my foot with his nose "Hey, I'm down here keeping guard over your foot..." and when we are outside he runs behind me pushing me with his snout, like "Hey, keep going, fatty, you can do it!"

Teach'n'Learn

Old 06-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
My question is, why does he do that?
Dogs nudge "because it works." That's the reason dogs do almost everything. It gets them what they want. Maybe earlier when he nudged you, you shifted your feet (even if it was unconscious) and he could fit under your chair. Now he thinks he has to nudge you to go under the chair. Maybe you give him a scratch on the ears when he nudges you. Maybe he just likes the feeling of nudging.

tammynj

Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess I don't have the only canine nudger! Dogs are so funny; I really enjoy mine (most of the time). I don't really mind the nudging, I just wondered what he meant by it. (The only time I mind it is when he nudges my bare arm with his moist nose and I can feel the wet spot on my arm!!)

Teach'n'Learn, I think you are right. I probably shift my feet and accomodate him when he does that. I often pat his head and talk to him when he comes in, too.

Phantomteach, too funny - I think my dog thinks the same thing when he herds me around the house!