Help

ARCHIVE

Scholastic News vs. Time for Kids

>

Irish725

Scholastic News vs. Time for Kids
Old 06-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone used both of these that thinks one is better than the other or what exactly are the differences? I am thinking ahead about what I would like to use this year so send me any thoughts on these or new classroom magazine ideas!

Irish725 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Classroom Magazine
Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used both. For years we chose Scholastic News. However last year we switched to National Geographic Young Explorer magazine. The students and I really enjoyed this a lot more. There is only 1 magazine per month but it can be broken into 4 lessons. The magazine comes with a teacher's edition loaded with extra activities and each month the magazine is online. The students can listen to the story being read. Past issues are available as well. Here is a link:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngyoungexplorer/

The cost is close in price to the other 2 magazines.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Used Both
Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used both and wasn't really crazy about either one. Next year we're hoping to try National Geographic. I've heard it's awesome.
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

MariaD

Very similar
Old 06-14-2008, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've also used both Scholastic News and Time For Kids and found them to be very similar. I've ordered Time For Kids for the past few years simply because my students seem to get more excited over its glossy pages than my classes used to get over Scholastic News' duller look. (I'm not even sure if Scholastic News stills has that very matte finish.) I also know that some of my kids have noticed that there is a grown up version of Time magazine and they like having their own copy. I know these are fairly silly reasons but they're all I have since the magazines are so similar.
MariaD is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish725

Looks Awesome!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much! I looked at the site for National Geographic and that looks much more interesting then Time and Scholastic so I will be trying that out. Always fun to try something new!

jadien

nat geo
Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do you know if they only sell subscriptions to young exploreer during the school year? I really liked the layout and samples, so I was going to subscribe, but it said the subscrioption page was unavailable. Is anyone else having this problem?
jadien is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish725

same problem
Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yeah, I am having the same issue. I am thinking you just can't order right now? I will try again in August and worry more about it then I suppose.

lover-of-labs

Weekly Reader
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For the past several years, we have used Scholastic News. But we were ready for a change this year, so we have decided to use Weekly Reader this next year. I looked at some samples and really liked what I saw. I guess I'll find out soon if I like the change or not.
lover-of-labs is offline   Reply With Quote
JeanineO

JeanineO

Third grade teacher
Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just sent out the same question to my staff. I've used all three with various grades.
Scholastic News and Time for Kids are similar in that they include a variety of topics and include charts, graphs, and other nonfiction features.

This year I used National Geographic because it is so beautiful. However, all the articles are about animals and do not provide enough nonfiction features. So I am going to go back to Time for Kids this year because another third grade teacher recommends it.