Gifted Students in Second Grade - ProTeacher Community

teach4reading

Gifted Students in Second Grade
Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas to use with my gifted students in the regular classroom. This is will be my first year teaching second grade. The make up of my classroom will be (6) gifted math students and 3 Gifted Reading and the rest of my class will be average. I was wondering what I could do with my gifted students in the area of Science/ Social Studies/Writing/Reading that would be a great project they could work on?

teach4reading is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out Engine-Uity's website. They have a lot of "centers" you could order. The activities are based on "Bloom's". It would be easy to set up and maintain in a regular classroom. They have packets to go with different stories on different reading levels. Some of the packets are around $3.95, which is cheap if you have to pay for it yourself. They'll send you a free catalog.

http://www.engine-uity.com/
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4reading

Thank You
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was able to check out the website! Great ideas -Thanks!
teach4reading is offline   Reply With Quote
kellidparker

kellidparker

mom of gifted
Old 01-16-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

hello- i am the mother of a gifted 2nd grader- my idea is that you ask the kids what it is that they are most interested in. you might be very surprised at their answers. if you don't get the feedback you are looking for - "feed" it a little with questions about what they like - dolphins? beach? ocean? study the ecosystems and its importance
race cars? study rockets and nasa etc.

whatever they like let them do small research projects where they collect pictures and document information - they can put each section into small books with illustrations they draw or paste. then you put the pieces together by attaching all of their little "books" onto larger pages that are also attached to each other. the result is a "lap book" (because it is large enough to cover your lap) lift the cover and find other pages to lift and see the smaller books inside! They will cherish it and be experts on their topics of choice!
Mrsjack5

Mrsjack5

Mom
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also have a gifted second grader and we are at a loss of what other books to give her. She is flying through the suggested reading material. Any suggestions? What is your second grader reading?