Help

ARCHIVE

Family Math Night

>

calla lily

Family Math Night
Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am hoping to plan a math workshop for parents and students this fall. Have any of you ever a family math night? I would love any ideas. I thought that the families would rotate to a variety of stations where they could play simple games. The games would need to be made of simple materials that parents could find around the house or bought cheap (Dollar Store) or made with copier since I want the families to take home a grab bag with some materials and instructions for playing these games at home.

calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

We use Everyday Mathematics
Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and for our family Math night last year we used the games directly from the series that are included with daily lessons. Not much was required in the way of materials. It worked fairly well.
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

texas123

Old 06-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have one every year. I just use games that I already teach the kids in class through centers and they teach their parents how to play. I like the ideas of having a pack full of things inside that they can take home and make to play. For example placing digit cards and having the kids play close to 100.

I usually introduce one or 2 games and the parents get to play with their child. I also do math night on a separate occasion where I teach parents math strategies to help their child at home. The strategies we teach are so different from how we grew up learning them because they are focused more on the process and understanding as opposed to the traditional algorithm. (so the workshop is really neat for the parents to learn).
texas123 is offline   Reply With Quote

gaither3

love family math night!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

we have family math night twice a year for each grade level at our school. one good idea is that when parents sign in, we usually have them use a venn diagram to sign in with thier children. the venn usually has something to do with the season or something going on in the world (i.e. a double venn could say i completed a picture book this summer, i completed a chapter book this summer). after parents, kids, family signs in we have a wall with about 4 math related trivia questions and sticky notes. the kids and parents take a guess at answering these questions (i.e. questions may be something like - how many white keys are on a piano, etc. some are really hard and some are fairly easy). we use these to give out door prizes at the end of the math night. one of the teachers at our school wrote a grant for math games through pto and she orders math night prizes to give away. we usually try to give away one per FAMILY. the prizes are simple, inexpensive math games.

once they have done that, we do a short number talk in which parents and children can answer and explain their thinking. the two math nights are separated by theme. the first one focuses on subt. and add. the second focuses on multi and div. the parents have the opportunity to walk around with their kids, learning to play math games that we have already learned throughout the school days. the kids already know what games will be played during math night and they can teach thier parents and then play against another family (or if they have a big family, they can play against each other). i try to encourage at least one parent/guardian to play with their child as a team.

game ideas - there is a woman named vasha rosenblum that is out of alabama. she creates WONDERFUL math games and sells them dirt cheap. most of them only consist of using cards, dice, chips. here is a link to her websites http://mathgamesk-5.com/ there is also a book called fundamentals that has great games that can be copied on card stock and sent home with each group of parents. as far as sending games home, my kids have a math game take home folder and as i introduce games to the kids, i run them off on cardstock and put them in thier folders to take home. this way i don't have to worry about making mass copies for that one night. they will already have the games at home. most of the time the parents have never paid attention to the game and are ready to get home and play them with thier children. we usually call vasha and have her set up in a corner of the room and we give parents a chance to purchase games from her during the night as well. she sells chips, cards, and everything. i hope this helps you out! sorry it's so lengthy.
gaither3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ABM

Multiplication Family Fun Night
Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We usually do one every year to kick off multiplication. Each room is focuses on something different: multiplication games, multiplication websites, unique ways to study for the timed tests, advanced multiplication activities for those who already "have it."

ABM is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

Thanks...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Many great ideas
calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

dt3rdgrade

Abm
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am interested in finding out more about the multiplication night. Do you have any activities you could attach?
dt3rdgrade is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Math night
Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We started doing Math night 3 years ago. I approached my principal with the idea, thinking it would just be for my grade level-third. She okayed the plan, then came back and wanted to expand it to be school-wide. So we did.

Ours is sort of like a Halloween carnival. Every teacher has math activities in their rooms. Families roam from room to room participating in all kinds of activities. We originally had activities that could be replicated at home with materials around the house. This year, though, was our first with a theme "We're Buggy about Math" or "Critter Crazy for Math". (We called it both things.)

The first year our activities ran the gamut from making pattern necklaces out of fruit loops to money activities using supermarket coupons to making Mancala games from egg cartons. The kids got lots of things to take home.

We made some changes the second year, but still followed the basic outline from year one.

This year each activity had something to do with bugs, snakes, frogs, etc. It was also more commercial. Our PTO gave me a big chunk of money and told me to spend it, so I did. Teachers wore safari hats and carried butterfly nets. Jr. high and High school helpers wore antennae made from headbands and pipe cleaners. We had activities such as "Worm Graph"--plunge your hand into a bucket of plastic fishing worms, pull one out, then graph what color you got. One teacher did measurement activities with inch worms. Another had sorting/fraction activities with plastic bugs. Still another was a board game based on the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" where you had to answer math facts to move the spider on the board.

It was all loads of fun. We had activities for kids pre-k through 3rd grade. PTO served a pizza dinner beforehand.

This coming year we are using an Alice in Wonderland theme. There is a wonderful article in one of the recent publications from NCTM. I can't remember which month. But it was in the Teaching Children Mathematics magazine. It described a math night with the Alice theme--LOTS of fun ideas.

Our math nights last from 6:30-8:00.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ABM

Attachments
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A lot of the activities we got were out of books, but I do have a few things computerized...and I could give you a list of the books that we used. I'm up at school tutoring tomorrow, so I'll find my file and get back to you.
ABM is offline   Reply With Quote

Inspire

Me Too!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our school is looking into a Math Family Night as well! I'd be interested in anything that you have!

Thank you so much!

Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Annie8180

Marilyn Burns
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At my previous school, we did a school wide Family Math Night. I wanted to continue it at my new school so I found another 3rd grade teacher to do it with me. We do one towards the end of school year.

We use M. Burns' model of Family Math Night, the kids have learned the games previously and are able to teach their families. I even use her handouts. I also hand out a math menu with all the games, websites, copies, etc. for the families to use over the summer and hopefully keep those skills current.

I like the idea of rotatating them as some families tend to get "stuck" at one game (socializing with the neighbors) and not experience the other games.
Annie8180 is offline   Reply With Quote