Help

ARCHIVE

Literacy Work Stations or the Daily 5?

>

TLL

Literacy Work Stations or the Daily 5?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am torn between the 2. Does anyone have any suggestions about which works better or smoother in Kindergarten?

TLL is offline   Reply With Quote

bikerbug

Literacy Work Stations or Daily Five
Old 06-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not used the Daily Five but have found that Literacy Work Stations work well. I posted a response to your message on another board... Try Debbie Diller's book Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work. She has a lot of really good ideas. I went to one of her workshops, even better if she is in your area. She presents a ton of great ideas during her workshop too.
bikerbug is offline   Reply With Quote

TLL

:)
Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have that book and love it. I was planning on using her ideas but keep hearing about the Daily 5 book. I just received it in the mail so I'll read it and choose from there.
TLL is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariposa

Daily 5
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have taught Kdg for 13 years, and have never heard of this. Details, anyone?
Mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote

bikerbug

Literacy Work Stations and The Daily Five
Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Information about Debbie Diller, the author of Literacy Work Stations: Making Centers Work can be found at http://www.debbiediller.com/

I've heard of the Daily Five but I am not familiar with it. I looked up the site since so much has been brought up here about it. http://www.the2sisters.com/the_daily_5.htm

bikerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Karen/MI

Karen/MI

Work Stations & Daily 5
Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used the D5 ideas last year in my 1/2 day kindergarten classroom and was very happy with how they kids did. I have always done work stations/centers and tried D5 (by the way I love Debbie Diller and she has some great ideas!)

I would suggest checking out the Daily 5 groups on yahoo groups, there is a Kdg group, Daily5 group and now a book study group for more info and ideas and also the choice literacy site.

I really liked how the D5 introduced each of the Daily 5( especially the launching of read to self and partner reading) and the fact the kids were spending more time reading. I really found a big improvement in my kids end of year reading levels as compared to other years )

I really found for me that I have taken pieces of the D5, kept some of my work stations ideas for word work and listen to reading.
I did not have much time in half day so I had to be a bit more creative. We did Writer's workshop separately (we use Lucy Calkins). Then did Reader's Workshop (using the D5 launching format/lesson/charts) for Partner & Read to Self Times.
Then we had a separate time for Word Work and Listen To Reading where I used some of my Debbie Diller Work Station ideas.
By having my morning broken down like this I found I had a lot more time to spend with individaul and small groups to really meet their diverse needs and the kids were really more focused and on task.

Good Luck! )
Karen/MI
mrsebysroom.com
EricaM

EricaM

First Grade Teacher
Old 07-11-2008, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have done WS for about 3-4 years. I read the D5 last summer. I loved the ideas but I was not ready to give up my work stations. I am still not sure I am ready. I don't have good admin. support at this time so I am reluctant to change and try something new with the D5. I do enjoy the WStations and Diller is great! I just read her new book, Spaces and Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy. It is good and would be great for someone who is just starting out. I would like to know more from someone who has done both and how they feel you can mesh the two and how strict you must be to the D5 for it to work. I don't think I am ready to let my kids choose where they are going and keep track of that. Ideas??
Kendra Melvin

Kendra Melvin

1st/2nd grade multiage teacher
Old 07-20-2008, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I started the Daily 5 last year (mid-year) after doing a pretty extensive center based literacy workshop. I will NEVER go back to centers- I LOVE the Daily 5!!! It was always so stressful to get my centers ready for the next week and I felt like I was always running to get caught up. With the Daily 5, the kids are independently working, working cooperatively if needed, and takes no constant preperation. (after you get the right supplies at first) If you don't know of the Daily 5 and do centers right now, I would HIGHLY reccommend getting the book and making the transition! Your kids will love it- and you will love it!
Jane R

Jane R

1st/2nd grade teacher
Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have just finished reading the Daily 5 and really like the philosophy of getting students to read more. The sense of urgency and the stamina are so well developed through the Daily 5 routines. I agree, after years of preparing new centers every week, I am ready to make the literacy block a time for reading with routines that are established and do not require more time and work on my part. I have a few questions that the book did not clarify for me and since you have implemented the Daily 5 I would appreciate your insight. As the students are participating in one of the Daily 5 routines, and you as the teacher decide to call a group to have a guided reading lesson, what happens to that Daily 5 activity? The reading group may take 15-20 minutes and then that group will not have time to complete the Daily 5 option they choose. If your students do build stamina and can maintain focus for 5 - 30 minute blocks, do you have enough time in the day to also get in Writer's Workshop, Math, Science/Social Studies, recess and a special? Thanks!