Help

ARCHIVE

Back to school letters, anyone?

>

jen4foxes

Back to school letters, anyone?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this has been posted before, but I can't seem to find the examples I need for a back-to-school letter. I will be a first-year, first-grade teacher this fall, and I'm just not sure what all to put in the letter. Can anyone help by posting their letters?

I was also thinking about sending a letter to the parents and students separately. (Everyone likes to get mail, right?)

What do you think?

Jen4foxes

jen4foxes is offline   Reply With Quote

lover-of-labs

postcards
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, congrats on your new job. I'm sure you will enjoy first grade! I don't have a sample to send you but I do send out a letter to my parents just to introduce myself and let them know what they can expect their child to learn in first grade. I also include an invitation to Open House. Our school has Open House before school starts. At Open House, I give them a packet which explains the rules and procedures and contact info.
For my students, I send them a postcard telling them how excited I am to have them in my class. You can buy postcards at teacher supply stores or make your own. The parents always tell me how excited the kids are to get a postcard from their teacher in the mail. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
lover-of-labs is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

letter
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can attach the letter I use (I teach 3rd, but it's pretty generic) - it's the way our principal likes us to write them - showing our qualifications. I'm sure others will post their letters and then you can cut and paste what you like into your own.

Yes, everyone loves to get letters! I send postcards to my students, but that's just a personal preference (and it's cheaper on stamps!).

I hope you have a great 1st year of teaching!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Parent letter.doc (33.5 KB, 1520 views)
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Welcome to first grade... you are going to love it!
Here is a copy of my parent letter. I distribute it on orientation (before school starts). If they don't come that day I send it home the first day. If you have any other questions... just ask. We are here!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Welcome letter 1st grade open house.doc (65.5 KB, 1281 views)
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

CindyLynn

SusanTeach
Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really liked your back-to-school letter because you share your qualifications to be a child's teacher! When we go to medical professionals, their qualifications are displayed on the wall. It reassures us that we are "in good hands." Our school uses a classroom management program that encourages teachers to proudly and confidently share their academic preparation with school families. We even create Professional Educator Statements that are displayed outside our classroom doors. We, too, want to reassure families that their children are "in good hands." Thank you for sharing your welcome letter!

CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

jen4foxes

Thank you so much
Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

to everyone that has posted letters. These are so helpful. I kind of know what I want to say, but seeing what others have done really helps.

The only thing about the qualifications/experience bit in the letter is that I am a first-year teacher. I'm not sure if saying that will help or not in the confidence factor. What would you do? Would you put that in there?

I DID win the Outstanding Elementary Education major from the university where I graduated. Should I put that in? That sounds like bragging to me. What do you think?

Jen
jen4foxes is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I didn't put my qualifications in my newsletter because it's mandatory that we put it on our website. In my first newsletter home I put the website address for parents to check out and they can read all the personal stuff. I also type a little bit of personal stuff in that first week's newsletter as well.

I probably wouldn't put it (experience) in there if I were you, not that being a first year teacher is bad (we've all been there), but because some parents may try to use that against you later. There are parents out there like that, trust me. Now, if they ask, of course be honest, you just don't have to advertise that, so to speak, just my opinion.

What do other think?
GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Hi
Old 06-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I really like your letter. I will post mine but want to take my name off it.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

oops
Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I meant to say the 2 letter examples. Both are great! Mine differs in that I teach for a Catholic School Board so I have to tie that into whatever I write. Thanks for sharing.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

letter
Old 06-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, I would definitely put the Outstanding Elementary Education major in there! I know it sounds like you're bragging (that's how I felt about my own), but it really does help the parents feel better knowing their child is in good hands (like Cindylynn said! ). That's the reason I put the sentence after that, about "not that it makes me the ideal teacher" or something along those lines. It just seems to humble it a bit.

No, I wouldn't put that you're a first year teacher. You can tell them if they ask, but I wouldn't offer the information if they don't. If you did student teaching or any substituting, you can call it "experience in ____grade(s)" rather than years.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Displaying Credentials
Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Harry Wong, in The First Days of School, encourages teachers to post their credentials. I think it is great to show your certification/diploma/degree in the classroom. It sends out a very positive, professional message to the students and their parents.
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote