how do you organize your math manipulatives? - ProTeacher Community

Home Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

how do you organize your math manipulatives?

>

MrsCroak

how do you organize your math manipulatives?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

I'm moving from teaching 2 subjects and switching to teaching every subject in a self-contained classroom next year.

So, I will be getting a bunch of math manipulatives and I don't know the best way to organize them. They come in large boxes, which just doesn't work for me. I know that whatever I do, I will be placing them in something clear.

Thanks!

MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Math manipulatives
Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

WE received sets of manipulatives that came in boxes for each child. I took all these out of them and combined all the like manipulatives--for example I pulled all the two color counting circles into one big group. When it is time to use manipulatives for a lesson I pull out the container and place some (them) on each child's desk.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Math manipulatives in 3rd grade
Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just worked on mine today!! I store most of my manipulatives in clear plastic shoe boxes with snap on lids. Actually, I guess they are more translucent than clear. They are the thicker, soft plastic rather than the clear, hard, brittle plastic. But I can see into them. I put peel-n-stick labels on the ends to identify contents, more for the kids than for me. I have all of my boxes (which stack well) in an old cubby shelf. I have them low and accessible to the kids. If Johnny really needs a clock to help him do his independent work, he may go get one from the box marked clock faces. Some of my manipulatives required more than one box to hold it all, but that's okay with the labels. I just stack like boxes. My base ten blocks are too bulky, so I keep them in the container they came in, which just happens to be clear! I use little, cute erasers for counters. Depending on the size of the eraser, I can fit 40-50 in a clear plastic Gerber baby food container. Then I place those containers in the shoe boxes. When we need counters, my leader just gets the shoe box and passes a container to each person.

I also have some of my math card games stored in see-thru colored crayon boxes. A little harder to see through, though.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

missa_g

Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too, have individual student kits. I would not recommend organizing it this way. It is a pain when you just need the fraction bars and you have to hand out an entire kit to every student and have them get out the manipulative that you are looking for. I would suggest (and this will be a project that I will take on) getting small shoebox size plastic tubs and put all of the manipulative of one type together, like previously mentioned. That way, it is a quick grab when you need it.
missa_g is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thanks for the ideas. i have been nicknamed "the container queen" by some of the other teachers, so i'm not afraid to take everything apart and reorganize it. i just thought i would see what you all liked so i have a better chance of liking one way over another. i think i will use the shoebox containers filled with like items. i'll just make a math manipulative job, so one of my students can pass the stuff out.

MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a shelving unit which stores all the manipulatives. I got it from craigslist but it's originally from IKEA.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49819508

When it's time to use them, I pass them out to each table, or the kids get a bowl and scoop out some to use. (I save old containers from things like coolwhip which works well for those.)
Kermit is online now   Reply With Quote

lvtching

clear tubs for sure
Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use clear shoebox size tubs (if the manipulatives fit) with a label on the outside. Then I organize them by the units that it best goes with. Sounds like the two of us would get along.
lvtching is offline   Reply With Quote