Help

ARCHIVE

pirate theme

>

connorsmom020

pirate theme
Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Come on guys, you're letting me down I knew I could count on someone to post me some pictures of their classroom with a pirate theme. I'm planning on doing pirates with treasures and tropics. PLEASE, help if you can. I've searched the archives and not found any pics.

Thanks

connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

salem

Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We did a pirate unit the last 2 weeks of school, but I did not decorate the room so I would not have any pictures anyway!

I did lots of activities but they were ones the kids did, so I don't think they would help you in getting the room ready to begin the year.

I am attaching something I found (somewhere--here maybe?) that has lots of pirate ideas---maybe they will help you think of things you can do to fix the room.

One thing you could do after the kids come back to school is to come up with a Jolly Roger flag that you all specifically design for your classroom and that could be your flag for the year. They could also each do their own Jolly Roger flag. There is a cute picture book, Roger, the Jolly Pirate by Brett Helquist (I just looked it up on mazon!) that tells a fictional story of how the Jolly Roger came to be. We read that and then made our own flags.

I also had an overhead transparency given to me by my partner teacher that had 3 columns with pirate type names on it and the students picked a name from each column and came up with a pirate name which they attached to their flag. For example, mine was Calico Bonnie Blue. If you want that list of names, maybe I can type it in and send it to you.

One more thing, check the party stores for pirate themed things. We dressed up on the next to the last day of school and I found a package of 3 eye patches with plastic earrings for $1.50 at Target. Target also has two cute pinatas, a pirate and a parrot, which you could hang or sit somewhere in your room. I never checked the other party stores, but I'm sure they would have had more stuff, too---we just ran out of days to do much of anything there at the end!
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

bookwormin6th

Welcome Aboard!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had planned to do a pirate theme, but then decided to tone it down a bit, what with all the violence, etc associated with pirates (yes, I'm a chicken). So, I did a Welcome Aboard! theme. I had three little banners at the top of my three walls. The first one said:

We'll explore Ancient Histories

Math and Science Mysteries

And All the Possibilities

I also purchased some "welcome aboard" pencils from reallygoodstuff.com On the first day I gave each student one, along with a personal pencil sharpener and some other goodies in a little pirate treat bag.

As for classroom activities:

You could list your classroom rules as your "articles"
Tough Boris is a great book to use for expanding ideas when writing. The book is very simple. Ex: Tough Boris was tough. All pirates are tough. My students wrote Tough Boris is tough. By that I mean...For each of the adjectives used to describe Boris. The activity really stuck with them, and some were still using the "by that I mean" technique at the end of the year.
One summer I did a unit on pirates. I had students cover the front of a composition book with ripped up pieces of masking tape. Then, we brushed brown shoe polish over them. They looked like leather journals. These were their captain's logs. I also did a fun math activity with the gold covered chocolate coins. Something about a monkey stowing away, sneaking into the treasure, and mixing everything up. It was their job to count and tally all their coins to find out who had the Captain's treasure. We also did a map activity using velum.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures to share. I also had a bulletin board near my classroom library that said "seek treasure in a good book". The bulletin board had one of those cargo nets hanging from the bottom with shells in it.
bookwormin6th is offline   Reply With Quote

bookwormin6th

If you're really ambitious
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry, one more thing:

mrmcgroovys.com

Check out the pirate ship. We built one last year for my son's Relay for Life team. It turned out awesome. Here's a pic. The ship was a little worse for wear, as the kids ran it around the track for a race, and then ended up sleeping in it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pirate ship.jpg (28.4 KB, 281 views)
bookwormin6th is offline   Reply With Quote

teececil

Talk LIke a Pirate Day
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We did Talk LIke a Pirate Day to start off the school year. I think it was 9/17 but not positive. We read books, kids work bandanas, we found a bunch of pirate jokes, sang a song and kids wrote about being a pirate. I know that is kind of vague but it was a LONG time ago now. I have the stuff in school if you want specifics. The kids loved it
E

teececil is offline   Reply With Quote

kt467

Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Third grade hosted "Talk Like a Pirate Day" too, last September. It was great! The kids loved it.

Sorry the only pictures I have are of me and the kids dressed like pirates.

This year it is September 19th.

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/sounds/TLAPD_smith.html
kt467 is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You are great, thanks for the neat ideas!!

salem

Pirate Names Attachment
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

connorsmom020---got your email---figured I would attach the things here in case others wanted to use them, too!

I had to scan the things into my computer that I used for the pirate unit we did. They are in the pdf format---I tried to scan them into a Word document, but it would not do it.

I wish I knew how to save things in Word that I get when they are not in Word already, because when I save stuff that is in pdf on my computer to use later, I cannot open and read it if it is in pdf! If anybody knows how to save things in Word when they do not come that way, let me know!

At any rate, I will start attaching the things we did in the next few posts.

The first is the list of pirate names---I had an overhead transparency made and the kids picked the names from that---this saved paper--just be sure to copy it over lighter as the transparency came out too dark the first time!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LArts Pirate Names.pdf (508.9 KB, 237 views)

salem

Pirate People Directions
Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Next are the Pirate People. These turned out soooo cute and the kids loved making them! Maybe you could do them the first week and decorate a b.board with them!

I will attach the directions first and the template in the next attachment. I got this off of http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/pirates/ppirate.asp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LArts Pirate People Directions.pdf (153.9 KB, 181 views)

salem

Pirate People Template
Old 06-19-2008, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is the template for the Pirate People. I had them use crayons to color---I thought markers would run! They looked at picture books for coloring ideas! Also, the cut-out won't totally cover up the t.p. roll, but it still looks fine.

Be sure to start saving toilet paper rolls now!!! I have already started saving again for next year!!!

Hint---have them color first, then cut! You need to glue with Elmer's or rubber cement--glue sticks did not do a very good job!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf LArts Pirate People Template.pdf (89.5 KB, 145 views)

salem

Pirate Bookmarks
Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We read Magic Tree House Pirates Past Noon, so I gave each of them a bookmark to color and use while reading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LArts Pirate Bookmarks.pdf (177.6 KB, 143 views)

salem

Pirate Dictionary
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We made a Pirate Dictionary with newsprint using these words. The students picked 10 of the words and wrote the definition and drew a picture on the page.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LArts Pirate Dictionary.pdf (160.2 KB, 126 views)

salem

Sorry if I hijacked the thread!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread, but I thought others might want to use the things I had found! So please forgive me!!!

I realize that this is not going to help you much with decorating your room, but at least it gives you some activities!

One more attachment with some Pirate Sayings, and then I am done! Also, if you decide to read Magic Tree House Pirates Past Noon, there is a whole unit on-line with questions, mazes, etc. Check it out! http://www.mce.k12tn.net/reading14/p..._past_noon.htm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LArts Pirate Sayings.pdf (80.2 KB, 125 views)

linderbug

...dollar store finds...
Old 06-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

...If you have a Dollar Tree in your area they have some cute pirate things for a pirate birthday party and pirate play sets.
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

jmiller

Treasures
Old 06-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We use the Treasures reading series from McGraw Hill. I am going to start the year with a treasure hunt. The treasure chest will be filled with books. We will then discuss how reading is a treasure and how we have to work very hard in first grade to learn to read. The "pirates" are going to be the bad guys who might steal your treasure (learning to read). I am going to put up a visual of a pirate and write the things that could take our treasure--not paying attention, not practicing your reading, etc. I think it will be fun.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Discipline?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What a marvelous theme for classroom discipline. You could put them in stocks-hands and feet. Walk the plank. Scrape their barnacles. Keel haul them-not sure what that means but I bet they would turn in their homework in a timely manner from then on. Scrub the deck. Forfeit their rations. Place them in the brigg..........endless possibilities.

(I would make a smiley here so you would know I am JK, but haven't got a clue how. It took me 3 days to figure out the avatar!)
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Where are you?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have a dollar tree but I went yesterday and they didn't have any pirate stuff. I was so disappointed. Maybe I'll have to travel the country to find it

leshutton

Pirate Decorations
Old 06-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Go to www.partycheap.com
I got a lot of cheap decorations for my pirate theme.
I wish I would have taken a picture of my bulletin board. We made pirate riddles for words with the 'ar' sound. First we brainstormed a huge list of 'ar' words. Then each child made a riddle using a different 'ar' word as the answer. For example: What is a little girl pirate's favorite toy? A Baaaaarbie doll (We use our pirate voices to read our riddles aloud.) Each child typed their riddle using a pirate-like font, and then glued it to an 8 1/2 X 11 in sheet of copy paper. I added their picture (that I took on the first day with my digital camera-head shot only). I glued a clip-art pirate hat on the picture. Then students illustrated their riddle. When we were done with the bulletin board, I turned all of the students' riddles into a class book that went into our literacy center for them to read later.
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Cheap Pirate Decorations for your classroom
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

http://www.partycheap.com/SearchResu...?Search=pirate

Here is the exact address for cheap pirate decorations.
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote