work stations vs. centers - ProTeacher Community

TLL

work stations vs. centers
Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So in the morning work stations are completed and in the afternoon centers are completed...right? So there will be a management board for each separately. Could anyone share how they manage their workstations and centers? Are centers free choice and how do you run them.....velcro name tags or clothespins? Also, do you give the kids many choices for workstations? Do you have their names on the chart with several stations after them for them to choose from? Sorry for all the ?'s...just trying to get a good grasp of how to run a Kinder room and stay organized. Also, would anyone be willing to share their classroom pics of their work boards, stations? Thanks for your time!!!

Kinder
Texas

TLL is offline   Reply With Quote

TLL

Sorry for crossposting! I just read the rules
Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It won't happen again. That's one for me for not reading the rules ahead of time. That's why I teach Kinder....I'm right with my kiddoes!

PoohBear

free choice centers
Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My centers were semi-free choice. There were a few centers within each category (language, math, science, etc) and the children were required to work within a particular category but could choose which center.

I used a calendar type pocket chart and every child had an index card with their name on it. On the top of the chart were the category labels and then under the labels I put the index cards of the children I wanted working on those centers. I switched the index cards each day so the children worked on something different each day. I have a small room so my centers were bins that were on shelves and the children took the bins to a table to work on them. I also always limited each activity to 3 children.

There are some great websites to give you ideas...try
www.littlegiraffes.com
www.carlscorner.us.

Last edited by PoohBear; 06-19-2008 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: getting the website addresses correct
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My workstation are not free choice. I select the groups (switching them out every now and then as I need to) and tell them where to go according to the work board-every student goes to every center, eventually. This upcoming year I am going to try Debbie Diller's method of having them go to only one station at the beginning for only about 15 minutes...eventually I will get them to have up to 4 choices. Last year, I had them rotate through their stations every day. It's up to you how you want to manage it.

Centers time is not quite so structured for me. Last year we did centers right after lunch (to give them an opportunity to talk and socialize after school-wide silent lunch). As we came back from lunch every day I would look for two or three people who were doing a great job of being quiet, walking in line, etc. and when we got back to the room these people got to select their center. Sometimes I would allow them to choose a buddy to take with them, it just depended. Then I would randomly pick other students to select their stations. My only rule for centers is that there can only be 4 people at a time in a center. They were free to move between centers as they wanted to (and they usually did), as long as there were only 4 people in a center. This worked well with my group last year-they didn't really need a work board or anything for center time, but you could definitely do the clothespin thing if you wanted to. Hope that helps!
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

TLL

question
Old 06-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What centers do you have? Do you let them go to some work stations also?

bseteacher

rotation organization
Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have workstations (literacy centers) in the morning. I have a big piece of posterboard with four shapes at the top. I laminate the board. Then, I write 4 lists of students for stations with a dry erase marker. I ususally leave the lists for 3 weeks or so and then change the groups. At the bottom of the lists, I paper clip a cute page of notepad (this year it was a dog). I also laminated the dogs. On each dog, I would use the dry erase to write the name of the learning station. Students went to one center each day (Tues-Fri). To rotate, I just move the dog over to the next list.

For free centers (Blocks, Housekeeping, Math, Reading, Science, Writing, Computer) I use a piece of poster board turned up and down. It lists the centers with a picture of each one from clipart. It also has 3-4 dot stickers to indicate the number of students who can go there. Students have a clothespin across the bottom of the board with their names on the clip with a sharpie. They clip the clothespin to a center dot to make a choice.
bseteacher is offline   Reply With Quote