Help

ARCHIVE

James and the Giant Peach

>

finchfeeder

James and the Giant Peach
Old 06-22-2008, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Both 3rd grade classes will be attending the play this year. We would like to read the book beforehand. Does anyone know where we can purchase fifty copies of the book at an economical price? I tried Scholastic, Amazon, and just googling the book...anyone have ideas or resource?
Thanks so much!

finchfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Scholastic
Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

would be my first try. I personally CANNOT bear this author's books but I would "put myself there" if we had an opportunity like yours. Check the catalogues at Scholastic..

I have tried to read his books.
I loveeeeeee Judy Blume and recommend her.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

salem

Old 06-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love James and the Gian Peach, but on our grade level we have always felt it was a little bit too deep for 3rd graders!

I would try looking for the book at used bookstores in your area. I have been building up my set of Charlotte's Web and several of the Magic Tree House books that we read last year.

I find books for around $1-$2, and I have seen many Roald Dahl books in these stores, so I'm sure you'd have luck!

Check your phone book under bookstores---it may send you to look under "vintage books" or "used books."

Good Luck!

Last edited by salem; 06-22-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: spelling!
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Before you buy....
Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You might want to choose to do this as a read aloud. There is some language in the book that would probably not be suitable for third graders. You could skip over it if you read it aloud.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

finchfeeder

Language
Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree regarding the language - perhaps you are right and we should read the book aloud. Since we have class tickets to the play I really wanted the students to have the literature experience first, but the cost per book plus the shipping was astronomical.
After checking Scholastic and Amazon I thought I would check proteacher for help.

finchfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

lynn6

e-bay
Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you do decide to buy it, you should check e-bay. I have bought several class sets of books at cheap prices. You have to check it pretty regularly until you find what you're looking for. Good luck either way!
lynn6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 06-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would do it as a read aloud, but incorporate it more than maybe you normally would with activities and maybe some reader's theatre. The script is pretty available. We have it in a book in our school library, so you could probably look for it in the public library- it's in an anthology.

There are some other activities you could do, like write letters to the aunts and tell them just what you think of them! write a tour guide brochure for the peach when it is on display. Research the different bugs, RAISE SILK WORMS! (There are kits for this!) and whatever else you can think of. Aside from which, I think this book may end up being too hard for some of the kids.

I say a read aloud is best. Then, after the play, watch the movie together (there are probably a couple versions, cartoon and maybe live action or animated?) Anyway, the kids could compare the book to the play AND the movie, or just choose to compare two of them. I have not taught the book, but I directed the play a few years ago. We did a few of these activities as part of the rehearsal process. The others I just thought of, so I don't know how they would work.

http://www.suekayton.com/silk.htm
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

walkingdi

Do it!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used this book as a novel unit at the end of the year. I was lucky enough to have a copy for every student in the class. I prepped the class that there would be one word in the book that is unacceptable for us but it had a different meaning at the time the book was written. The questionable word is used 3 times and we looked it up in our scholastic classroom dictionary where it was defined as a stupid/silly person. Whenever the word came up the class said donkey instead of the word. It made for a good class discussion as well as a springboard for the students to start checking out other Dahl books. If you do the book you have to go on the official Roald Dahl site and enter his writing hut. It is fantastic. Have fun with the book.
Dianne
walkingdi is offline   Reply With Quote