Help

ARCHIVE

Portable decorating ideas

>

Coug Gal

Portable decorating ideas
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really enjoyed seeing pictures of different classrooms that were posted the other day. There are many creative folks out there! As I was looking at the pictures, I have to admit that I was extremely jealous of the amount of wall space some of you have in your rooms.

I will be in a portable for next year, and though I realize that there is a great amount of potential there, it really lacks wall space. Cubbies take up two full walls, and I only have enough wall space for two, maybe three, SMALL bulletin boards. (So much for using many of Beth Newingham's great B.B. ideas!) I have reconciled myself to the fact that I will only be able to put things up that are absolutely essential.

I would love to see pictures of portable classrooms if anyone has them, or some great ideas on how to make my new space functional, yet cozy. I'm afraid I can't offer a picture myself as I just moved my things to this school and am waiting for another teacher to clear her boxes out. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!

Coug Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Ideas
Old 06-23-2008, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never had to be in a portable Thank God. One of the teachers during my student teacher made use of her windows and ceiling for decor. She would hang things all the time. Just a thought.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chick

Portable Classrooms
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry you are disappointed about being in a portable. I spent 9 years in a portable with 4th graders. Yes, there were some bad times, BUT there were also some good times.

Except for not having a bathroom or running water, and bad weather , it can be quite pleasant. Administration does not bother you. (They don't want to go outside, either.) You do control your own heat and air. You can get as loud as you need to; it doesn't bother anyone. In the spring, you can open your doors for fresh air and even have class outside. When you do have special projects, some of my kids would go outside and spread out their materials and have a wonderful time working together. Portables can be "dolled up". Curtains, a garden outside, wind chimes and flags, bird feeders,
.... You will also find out you have more display space than you thought: ceiling, high up on the walls(Ceiling & wall meet) all the way around...

Good luck...
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Coug Gal

I'm looking forward to the good times
Old 06-23-2008, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in the portable! I've got a pretty good sense of adventure and that is the way I am choosing to look at this. (I left behind a terrific classroom with lots of wall space, a sink, and a great view into a beautiful courtyard.)

Beings that I am new to teaching 3rd grade this year, what would you suggest are the "must haves" for my limited wall space? I was entertaining the idea of using my cupboard doors for the word wall and possibly covering one of the two white boards in the front of the room to use as bulletin board space, too.

postteacher

I love my portable!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been in a portable off and on for 17 years! This last time for 5 years. My portable has bathrooms and water fountains. I share it with my partner. It is quiet and nobody really bothers us. We can even set our own temp.
The only down side is in bad weather. Rain is loud and if there is a tornado warning, we have to come inside.
I don't have any pics right now, but when we can get into our rooms, I'll post some!

postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Old 06-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been thinking about must haves.....
I use one of my white boards to post stuff. I use a lot of magnets. Do you have windows? I have blinds that I clip work and posters to with clothespins. I use my cabinets for word walls and other posters.
I put wire shelves all under my whiteboard trays and this is where I have my library.
I bet once you get into your room, you will come up with some creative ideas! I come up with new ones every year.

Coug Gal

Thank you for the ideas
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Postteacher. I only have one small window in the room but liked your use of clothespins to hang student work. I can honestly say that I never would have thought of that! The baskets under the white board sounds like a great idea, too. I may have to check into that as a possibility. =)
I'd still love to see some pictures whenever you get the chance! Enjoy your summer.

postteacher

Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You are very welcome!
I promise to post pics! We are haveing our school renovated this coming year, so our school wide theme is "Under Construction", so I guess I'll have hard hats, trucks ect.
You have a great summer, too!

Karyn3rd

portables
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've never taught in a portable but I found the website of another teacher in a portable who has such wonderful classroom organization and decoration that I had to share. I'd love to incorporate some of her ideas into my class next year. Here is the link.

http://www.bar.rcs.k12.tn.us/TEACHER...al_tour_08.wmv - This is a virtual tour of her classroom.

http://www.bar.rcs.k12.tn.us/TEACHER...bunyihome.html - This is her main webpage.

This lady is amazing.
Karyn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

traveler123

Karyn3rd
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This morning I posted a message about my room (bar site), but it never showed up...then you suggested my site. Isn't that odd? I'm still a new member, so maybe it is still being verified.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words
traveler123 is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Wow!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow! What a fantastic room!
My portable is not as big, but I got some great ideas!

Karyn3rd

traveler
Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hi Traveler,

I shared your site with a co-worker of mine. We were both blown away and went on and on about how we would love to come visit your classroom. We work in the county connected to yours (WCS). You can truly tell that you've put a lot of effort into your set up and I love your videos. One of my goals for next year is to integrate technology more into the curriculum.

Karyn
Karyn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

traveler123

Observation
Old 06-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You (and your co-worker) are welcome to stay with us for a day Last year we had visitors on a near weekly basis for reading/writing workshop. We've had up to 7 teachers in one day and from several counties, including WCS and Maury Co. Most teachers got PD credit/sub coverage for presenting what they learned when returning, so that might be an option for you.
Seriously, email me if you plan on visiting us.
Best wishes!
traveler123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Karyn3rd
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 PM
This message has been deleted by Karyn3rd. Reason: meant to be a pm