Daily 5 Book Boxes - ProTeacher Community

MrsM73

Daily 5 Book Boxes
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just finished reading "The Daily 5" book and I'm very excited about trying this out. I am concerned about the book boxes and having room to store them in my limited classroom space. Those of you that have tried this out, what are some ways you have created individual book boxes and creative ways to store them. Also, when do you have the kids shop for new books to add to their book boxes that doesn't take lots of time from instruction?

MrsM73 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Book Boxes
Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I found small oval shaped garbage cans at the dollar store. Yes...they took up a lot of room but we have tables, not desks -- have to get innovative on storing stuff! -- I found space to store the cans--one for each kid--on shelves. In the cans the kids kept their math journals, math tool kits (we use Everyday Math), reading workshop books, along with other stuff as the year went by.

For their books I gave everyone a white tyvek envelope: http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...1&fromUrl=home I'm pretty sure I used the 10x13 envelopes.

Anyway, they decorated the envelope with Sharpie markers. They wrote "Reading Workshop"....great 'first couple of days of school' thing to have them do!

Worked GREAT...the bags get REALLY soft because of the material but let me tell you, they never rip! Love em! Expensive but they last all year. One box of 100 can last you 4 years. The bags hold a good deal of books, too!
MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Book Shopping
Old 06-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I assigned about 5 kids a day to book shop. I didn't do it by reading level because then all five kids are pawing after the same leveled books. I went right down my class list. I number everyone 101, 102, etc. Monday I put a card on the board that said BOOK SHOPPING 101 - 105. I had a card for each day of the week. Worked like a charm. If a student was gone on their day, they'd shop the next.

Usually we book shopped right at the beginning of the day. But we went to Art first thing Monday morning so we did it right after art as kids were washing up for snack.

It was important to me to find time to get the book shopping done BEFORE reading time. I didn't want kids looking through and picking books when I wanted everyone settled into reading. Some colleagues found the end of the day a good time to book shop. From everything I've read, their books should last them a week as they read them over and over.

You'll love the Daily Five! I'm going back to kindergarten in the fall but if was doing first again, I'm sure my daily five would be MUCH better than it was the first year I did it.

Wait....I am still going to try to do some Daily five with my k's! I've been finding lots of info online and here at PT about k teachers doing it!
MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

ikea sells cardboard magazine files, which should hold a few books and not take up too much space in your room (they are long and skinny).

i am giving my students a three pronged folder that i've turned into their response journal, and they are 5 different colors. so, i'm going to assign each color to what day of the week they book shop. right now i'll have 32 on roll, but even if i have 40 kids (god help me) only 8 will shop per day.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

rachg8r

book boxes
Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use the cardboard magazine boxes from office depot. They have lasted and I plan to use the same ones this year. I use mondays as book exchange day. I do the daily 5 rotations a little different than what the book says. I teach 1st graders and I am sort of a control freak, so I give the students the centers they have to complete each day. Within that center they have several choices of what to do.

rachg8r is offline   Reply With Quote

tlteach

boxes
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm reading the book now.
I'm already in a Reading First School, so I already had book boxes.
I bought the boxes that are in the Target $1. bins.
My kids put the books we read from Guided Reading group in them, so they don't really shop.
I haven't read the part about shopping yet. I guess I'd better get to reading.
tlteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AmazonWoman

Book Boxes/Shop for books
Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also use the magazine boxes for my second graders. I purchased them from a local office supply store. They gave me a discount because I bought 25 of them! I have my boxes numbered to match the student's number in class. They have held up very well and I have used them even prior to the Daily 5 read last summer. I store mine on top of a shelf that is just below my wall of windows. It does take up space but they are visible and near my classroom library. As for shopping for books, my students do this every Monday. It's listed on the Morning Work Board. They shop for 4-5 books early in the school year and by the end of the school year are up to 6-8 books. This all takes place after the lesson on "I PICK" from the book. With lots of modeling of "just right" books. I used to have them return their books back into my labeled baskets, not anymore! What a mess! Now, I have one crate near my library where they return the books they are finished with. Students can still pick books from here or my library on Monday. Hope this helps!
AmazonWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Chair Pockets
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I made fabric chair pockets for students to store their books in. I found a canvas-denim fabric that was fairly sturdy. I really procrastinated getting started on this, but once I got going they ran up quite quickly. I used a light colored fabric (it was cheap) so they really get grungy - a quarterly washing is necessary. But, I think they'll last 2-3 school years. They don't transport as well as a box to a child's reading space, but they are out of the way and handy for students to grab books.

I had my students do book shopping at the beginning of the day and during RW the library was closed! It worked much better than I expected. Students were responsible for getting their books early and I didn't have students spending workshop "looking for a book" for 10 minutes as it seemed happened in the past.
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

really good stuff
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have used the cardboard magazine boxes before and found that they didn't last due to all of the heavy use. Last year I ordered plastic boxes from Really Good Stuff and they held up nicely. They are a little tippy but sturdy. I'm gald that I bought them!
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Book Boxes
Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't use book boxes because space in my room is at a premium. I use 2.5 gallon book bags. My student were allowed to have 8-10 books per week. I kept all of the book bags in a large Rubbermaid bin (I didn't use the top) Most of the book bags fit. The ones that didn't laid on top. I had anywhere from 23-25 second graders.
I had my students in 5 groups. Therefore, each group was assigned a day of the week to get their books.
The bags really worked, and I only had to replace 3 of them the entire school year. The bin was kept in a corner behind the bookshelf. The only students that needed replacment bags were those who had more than 10 books (one kid had 20). Of course, I made it into a re-teachable moment. We reviewed how to "thoughtfully" choose books. Some were reverting back to their old ways of choosing a book without looking inside and reading the first page.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

lenarmc-- Questions...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi,
I'm new to the Daily 5... waiting for the book that I ordered! My question regarding your 2.5 gallon book bags: Are these the storage bags found in stores (Ziplock, Glad...)?

Also, I'm interested in how you helped your students choose their books. What exactly did they do to "thoughtfully choose books" and how much time did that take? Maybe some ideas will be presented in the D5 book, but I would like to get started in my planning!

Thanks for your help!

LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote

dejul

book boxes in 5th?
Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Would it work in 5th grade to let the students have their 2 AR books and maybe a magazine or other book during this time? AR is a big thing at our school and that would be a way for them to get some reading in during the school day. I'm new to 5th next year and have just started reading the Daily 5. It sounds like something that would work. I don't think the students would really need a box or bag in 5th. What do you think?
Thanks for your input!
dejul is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 06-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My school's curriculum secretary ordered book bins for us first grade teachers. I store them along the heater (there's a shelf above it). I'm not sure about next year though, because I'm going to a new school, and there's VERY limited shelf and counter space.

I have my students shop for books once a week-usually Mondays. I also put books in their book bins based on their independent reading level from our guided reading library, and I do this every other week.

They shop for new books in the morning as they come into school. I find it's a better time than during or before the reading block.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

C2Teach

Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used the gallon ziploc bags last year and loved them.

Last year I had the 5 kids shop during morning announcements.

This year at a PD we were told to allow Mondays for book shopping after kids leave small group instruction. One of the must haves is the guided reading book that they will be reading.
C2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

luvapooh

book bags
Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I used large ziploc bags for the first year. At the beginning of school, Ziploc puts out school bags that are larger for books. This year, I used school money and ordered book bags from Really Good Stuff. They work so much better and really weren't that expensive. They are made of a durable fabric with velco closer and a tab to hang them on a hook if you want. This was a great investment and much more space friendly. I also have very limited classroom space.
luvapooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolynn

yes! to dejul
Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Book boxes are described by Regie Routman also. I think she calls them something different but I used them in sixth. The kids each have a basket that I bought at the dollar store. In it is their reading notebook, writing notebook, their free reading book, their literature circle book, and a folder with any papers I've handed out. They also have their national geographic for kids. This year I may add an index card box to hold vocabulary words. 6th is not too old!
Carolynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Molli927

I used recycled cereal boxes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had kids bring in cereal boxes and i cut off the top and at an angle. they kept them in their desks (either upright or lying down) depending on the size of the cereal box. I had planned on covering them somehow, but the kids loved the pictures on the boxes (cap'n crunch, lucky charms, etc) so I never bothered. What was nice was when they would start to fall apart, we'd just throw them in the recycling bin and I'd cut them a new one.
Molli927 is offline   Reply With Quote

ArmyWife1027

Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Last year I used nylon tote bags that I bought from Oriental Trading, which were a very reasonable price. I am using those bags for take-home literacy bags this year instead.

I was thinking of using small pizza boxes, which most pizzerias will donate. The students could decorate the outside and then I would write their names lengthwise on the side (like the spine of a book) and store them on a counter or bookshelf. Does that sound like it would work? I guess I need to make one to see.
ArmyWife1027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. T

Daily 5 bags
Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I used boxes from the dollar store last year. They worked very well, but since we don't have much space I wanted to try something differrent this year. I bought fabric bags at the dollare store instead. I have put them in a Rubbermaid box so far but would like to hang them up somewhere instead. Not sure where or how yet.

We chose our books in the morning. I just called students up a few at a time (while they were working on whiteboards) and then they returned last weeks and shopped for this week's books. It worked well.
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

To Linda R
Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Sorry about the late post! Summer school keeps me very busy
I use 2.5 gallon Ziplock bags.
As far as choosing books, I train them on the "five finger method". I really don't remember where I got it from. It was posted in the classroom library, and each student had a bookmark as a reminder. Read the first page and count the number of words that you don't know.
0-2 words missed Easy
3-4 words missed Just Right
5 or more Challenging
They were allowed 2-3 books of each category. However, they had to choose a challenging book. The students soon figured out if they had too many easy books, they would be bored. Also, if they chose too many challenging books, they would have almost nothing to read. Also, they learned how to preview a book before they chose to put it in their book bag. I didn't want them to get a book that they would find boring.
In the beginning, of course, some of the lower readers wanted to read books that their higher reader friends were reading. We did have a discussion about just right books being different for everyone. What's challenging for you may be just right for another person. It's amazing how children know when they are ready to make a challenging book into a just right book.
All-in-all, this was my first year doing this, and I think that I did a pretty good job. I know that next year will be even better. Just remember the first 6-8 weeks of training is very important.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

lenarmc...
Old 07-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thanks for your reply! I'm so obsessed about getting the world renowned book bins at Target, but having the option of the bags will be just fine. In fact, it might work better for me because space is an issue for me, too. I'm not sure if students could keep the bins at their desks, either. I can see them getting knocked or tripped over.

Do your students put their bags back in the container after your ELA time or do they keep their bags at their desks all day in case there is extra time to read later--?

Thanks, too, for sharing the finger test. I do have that list somewhere!

I'm half-way through the book...it's great! I'm just hoping that I can figure out how to tie in all the HM basal reader requirements and District tests.

Thanks again!
LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Terri G.

Terri G.

Book Boxes
Old 07-05-2008, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Can you tell me the item Number for the book boxes you found in the $! spot?

yogi

Item number
Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Someone posted this on another thread. It is the item number for the book bins at the Target dollar spot:

File Holder (book bin) 234240961

Yesterday I called my local Target (because I was tired of stopping by every day!) and the lady at guest services was so helpful! She looked up the number and said that they did not have any, but looked up about 7 other Targets for me and told me exactly how many they had on hand and the phone number to each store. I then called each Target to make sure before driving 25 miles and found one store that was willing to hold a box of 65 bins for me at guest services. It made my week!!!!

Good luck to you!
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote

tlg10906

Book Boxes
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Thanks for the info and I'll give it a try.
tlg10906 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4libby

Book box storage
Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I have lockers/cubbies at my school and the students keep their book boxes in the bottoms of their lockers. Two children share one locker space and put their book boxes on the bottom of the lockers. There aren't any doors on the lockers, so the students have easy access to their boxes.
crazy4libby is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Just right bookmarks
Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Here's a variation of lenarmc's 5 finger test for choosing a 'just right' book (adapted from the Busy Teacher Cafe's):
Attached Files
File Type: doc Just right bookmarks.doc (95.5 KB, 757 views)
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

tlg10906

Book Boxes
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Well, I was very lucky and found the book boxes I needed at Target and all because I had the item number. In fact, they had not put them out in the Dollar Spot. They were in the back. So as long as you have that number they can check and let you know. Thanks for the number.
tlg10906 is offline   Reply With Quote

zookeeper44

Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I started out with the 2.5 gallon bags and then went to cloth bags (green bags at grocery stores). These worked very well - could hang them on the back of their chairs (1st grade). I washed them all at the end of the year and I'm ready to use them again this year.
zookeeper44 is offline   Reply With Quote

mkr

Book "boxes"
Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Just came home from grocery shopping. Hefty now has JUMBO Slider bags, 2.5 gal. This will be perfect for my classroom which is small! I used the gallon size last year and they lasted, but larger books and more than 5 didn't fit.
mkr is offline   Reply With Quote

mja1127

Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

These are perfect bookmarks for lower elementary, very user friendly.
mja1127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindergarten1

Daily Five Storage
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I have used the blue 50 cent shopping bags from Wal-mart for their book bags. Just remember to reinforce the stitching. The kids love them and are able to take them home at the end of the year-- they were SOOO excited!
This year I will let them decorate the outside of the bag during the first week. I think they will enjoy it.
I teach kindergarten and let the students shop for new books once a week-- usually Friday.
Kindergarten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

octomimi

Just right bookmarks
Old 09-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Thank you! Thank you! Aussiebird - VERY helpful.
octomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
terrie

terrie

post office
Old 09-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I haven't done it yet, but I ordered for free enough of the priority boxes from the PO. I plan to cut them down and shape them into magazine type holders. You can let the kids cover them with construction paper and decorate their own box even. I got this idea from another post on here somewhere.

neskowin

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Thank you for sharing the bookmarks! I'm going to use them!
neskowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Nanajan8

3rd GradeBooktubs
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

We have used dish washing tubs from the dollar store for our book baskets. They fit under the students chairs on the rungs and are easy to access.
Nanajan8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Robyn_765

No book bags
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I also teach 5th and do not use book bags. I did the first year I did Daily 5, and it was SO time consuming to change the books. I also saw students were reading their 2 AR library books instead of the books I had for them to add to their book bags. So last year and this year, I have made it clear that they must have 2 books checked out from the library at all times. I think by 5th grade they need some responsibility in bringing texts. I help students that need more guided instruction in choosing just right books throughout the year (I go to the library with them or show them books in my library I think they would like). I also offer lots of magazines in my class library. It works for my 2 reading blocks, and takes much less of my precious time. I don't know if this is "right" by the Sisters' standards, but it works for me.
Robyn_765 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 09-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

My Target had the Dr. Seuss bags on sale for $.50 each, which I think would be good for book bags. I actually bought a set, then when I went to my school today a co-worker told be we already had book bags that they use. Oh well, I am sure I can find a use for them!
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote