I'm just tired of rude teachers - ProTeacher Community

WMaupinj

I'm just tired of rude teachers
Old 05-18-2006, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know several people on here have posted about rude teachers. I am so sick of it. I was subbing a half day today for 3rd graders. The entire 3rd grade had subs because the teachers were cleaning out a closet. (I know) Anyways, the class was doing a great job. She had them doing packets all afternoon by themselves. They were working on a math packet and her instructions to me said, “Independent work, remind them to use their strategies.”

So I did. Well, the hands start going up about the exact same page on two digit multiplication problems. I went to the board and explained how to multiply two digit numbers. They were so confused and only two or three students remembered how to do it. I said, “Guys, don’t worry about. A lot of you are having trouble with it so move on to the next page and I’ll leave a note for you teacher. She’ll probably review with you tomorrow.”

The kids were so upset. One girl actually started bawling saying she had to get it done because her teacher would be mad at her. I tried to calm her down and said, “Its ok. I’m leaving a note that I told you to skip it. You guys tried your best and it’s just something that needs to be reviewed. No big deal.” They would not skip it!

The teacher walks in at this time and starts yelling about them asking me for help! She said, “This is independent work and when I say independent I mean independent. You should know all of this and I am so disappointed you don’t.” She looked at me and said, “This is independent. They aren’t supposed to be asking for help.”

So what does she do? Goes around the room helping them! Then after about 10mins says she has to go back to what she was doing but don’t worry about it. Skip the page, go on to the next one, and she’ll go over it tomorrow.

One kid looked at me and gave me a smile.

Thanks for letting me vent.

WMaupinj is offline   Reply With Quote

Emilie

Emilie

sounds like...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

...the students are pulling a fast one on you!
twin2

twin2

Emilie might be right
Old 05-19-2006, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It could be that the kids just didn't want to work. I get a lot of kids that will act like they just don't know the material, but the truth of the matter is they want me to do the work for them! Trouble is, you never know for sure, unless you have worked with those children a bit.

WMaupinj

Normally I would agree
Old 05-19-2006, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Normally I would agree that these kids just didn't want to do the work but I asked who understood how to work the problems. A little girl who I know was responsible and thought she knew the right way to muliply, came up to the board and worked the problem completely wrong.
WMaupinj is offline   Reply With Quote
tchr

tchr

I believe the kids were confused
Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If the kids were "pulling a fast one", they wouldn't be upset when the OP told them to skip it - they would be happy. Besides, 3rd graders don't usually behave in that manner - 5th grade, yes, I could believe that, and maybe even 4th grade - but in my experience (I used to teach 3rd grade), 3rd graders are usually pretty honest about things like that.

Anyway, assuming that the kids really did not understand how to do it, I think you did the right thing in trying to reteach the multiplication. You weren't expected to do that, but you took the initiative to do it. If so many of the kids didn't understand it when they saw it in the packet, then the teacher probably had not taught it in a way that they could understand it. If they had had independent practice on it right after she had taught it, she should have examined the papers to see how many kids didn't "get it". If many of them didn't "get it" she should have retaught it to them first, before giving it to them in a packet - that's my opinion.

Yes, that was extremely rude of her to come in and yell at you for helping them. I don't like the way the teacher spoke to her students, either. I always assume I can help students on their work unless it is clearly labeled as a quiz or a test. (The other day I had a 4th grade class who was very honest with me and said I wasn't allowed to help them on an expository essay they had to write!)

I'm sorry she treated you like that! I don't like it when I take a job and it ends up that the teacher is actually present - it's just very awkward. However, I've never had a teacher be *that* rude to me - actually, one day I had a teacher *apologize* that she wasn't leaving right away! - not that she needed to apologize, though, of course.

DRich611

DRich611

I'm sick of subbing already!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't see how some of you can sub for long periods of time! I have only been subbing for 2 months and am so sick of "that's not how we usually do it", "You aren't supposed to do it like that", "She doesn't let us do that"....AHHHHHH! I hate that I have to ask the children how to do EVERYthing b/c the teacher writes down the minimal notes to just 'get by' that day! It makes it seem like the kids are really in charge b/c I have to ask them all day long! I am hoping to get a permanent teaching job in the Fall, but am so glad I had this experience so I know what to leave for a sub! I have already started a list of what will go in MY sub packet!!!!!!!!!!!

tracecares

Pros and Cons to all jobs
Old 05-20-2006, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just like any job their are pros and cons. You deal with rude people and many different places. I try to now let it bother and just do the best I can. I can understand though your anger about the teacher being rude. If she didn't want you to help them so much she should have asked you not to in a calm voice. It is true kids will try to trick you and be lazy but their are students that need help. I just think do your best and nobody should ask anymore of you.
tracecares is offline   Reply With Quote

thiswayup

maybe the teacher
Old 05-20-2006, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

didn't teach it and didn't want anyone else to know. Or maybe the kids didn't grasp the way she taught it and she knew that and didn't have time to reteach? So she didn't want you to "show her up"?
So then she could go back and complain to her colleagues about you to cover HER butt.
Just a thought...
thiswayup is offline   Reply With Quote
tchr

tchr

About Sub Plans...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

quote:

"I don't see how some of you can sub for long periods of time! I have only been subbing for 2 months and am so sick of "that's not how we usually do it", "You aren't supposed to do it like that", "She doesn't let us do that"....AHHHHHH! I hate that I have to ask the children how to do EVERYthing b/c the teacher writes down the minimal notes to just 'get by' that day! It makes it seem like the kids are really in charge b/c I have to ask them all day long! I am hoping to get a permanent teaching job in the Fall, but am so glad I had this experience so I know what to leave for a sub! I have already started a list of what will go in MY sub packet!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, those comments do get annoying, don't they? Especially with the younger grades, I usually tell them I don't know every little routine, so I may do things differently than their teacher, but that's okay, and to please be patient with me, as I will try to be patient with them, too. That usually works fairly well, although the younger the kids, the more "creatures of habit" they are and it can be hard for them to adjust.

The other day, I subbed in a classroom with a student teacher, who was absent. It was her first time writing sub plans. They weren't on the teacher's desk - I sort of found them by accident on the back table. She asked for feedback on the plans, so I did tell her that it would have been helpful to have an outline of the discipline plan (one of THE most important parts to the sub plans - IMO), because it turned out I gave out more warnings than they usually get before receiving the consequence- oops! Also, the kids had argued about some other routines, and I didn't have a list of ELL and Special Needs kids or who goes where at what time. She was afraid of "scaring" off the sub by writing too much! I just told her most subs are used to lots of info about the class. We may not have time to read through all of it before the kids arrive, but at least we have it to look back on.
Cali Sub

Cali Sub

re: sub plans
Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have to say, if I come into a classroom with 30 min. to prepare and the lesson or "sub plans" are very extensive with many details, it DOES get pretty overwhelming. It is nice to have basic lesson plans that have enough info of what to cover and then everyday routines in a separate folder. My favorite teacher, with the cleanest 1st grade room I have ever been in, keeps laminated pages in a folder of basic info. From class mgmt to what is done during typical timeframes to the days/times the class goes to library or computer lab. Its nice to look at the day's lesson plan and the refer to her permanent folder if I need more detail.
Robert31

Robert31

It could be worse.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have enjoyed subbing in the past. If you want a poor job, try working for a temp agency. The worst employment experience I have ever had.
grrrr

grrrr

hate them .
Old 03-13-2009, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

i hate rude teachers>><

Hifiman

Do you have an option for another district?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I used to sub in two districts. One district had a culture of respect for subs and for the most part things went pretty well for me there. In the other district the attitude towards subs was the complete opposite from the district office right down to the secretaries and custodians. Finally I gave up dealing with the hassles in that district and limited myself to the district that treated me better.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote