"Cooking up a Great Year!" Classroom theme - ProTeacher Community

kansasteacher

kansasteacher

"Cooking up a Great Year!" Classroom theme
Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would love some ideas or pictures of teacher's classrooms who have used this theme. I have some ideas, but I want more so everyone knows for sure what the theme is.
Here is what I have so far.....
1. large chef poster holding tray where the lunch menu will go
2. the classroom library will be "The Reading Cafe" with a sign, comfy chair, ect. also a bulletin board behind "Be a smart cookie, pick a just right book" with large cookies that have picking a just right book idea.
3. Reading charts that have a cup of latte in the background. When a student fills up their chart they get to drink a cup of latte (hot chocolate) in the reading cafe during DEAR time.
4. On the outside door pictures of the students with a chef hat with classroom theme "Cooking up a great year"
5. Classroom rule on a large recipe card
6. hamburger pocket chart for writing process

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but really it's not, and I would rather have too many ideas than putting this stuff up and the theme not really standing out. Please help if you can. Thanks!

connorsmom020

ideas
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a really good stuff book the other day and it had some chef stuff in it. Also, I did a cute bulletin board one year. It had a big chef on it and each child made a piece of pizza. The toppings had to be about their interest(ie pepperoni slices could look like soccer balls.) The title was I'm a "pizza" the _____grade. This came from an old mailbox magazine if I find it, I will post a picture.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherchar

Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm very interested in this theme as well. I also saw another cute bulletin board set called "Cooking Up A Great Year!" I can't remember who does it though. I'll try to find out. I'd love to hear more about this theme and see some photos! Kansasteacher, you're ideas sound terrific - as well as the "pizza" posting. I am continually amazed at the creativity of these posts!
teacherchar is offline   Reply With Quote

ZacMan's Mom

Classroom 'Food' Theme
Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You might find something that you like at this website:

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/...ave=Units+Sold

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/...ave=Units+Sold

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10001

http://www.teacherstorehouse.com/pro...ook%26brand%3D

Last edited by ZacMan's Mom; 06-24-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: add
ZacMan's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

StephSAL

Cookies
Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One primary teacher in my school covered her bulletin board with red and white checkered table cloths and made a huge chef. In his hand was a large cookie sheet (made with aluminum foil) and each kid was on a cookie....It was really cute

StephSAL is offline   Reply With Quote

kseal

Me too
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am doing the cooking theme as well. I am thinking about cooking the last Friday of the month as a treat for good behavior. I found a website with snack ideas:

http://bcmnc.blount.k12.al.us/snack_idea_links.htm

If you think of any other bulletin board ideas, please share. : )
kseal is offline   Reply With Quote

teachntx

Cooking for good behavior
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In tx we have all kinds of rules on food now. ugh But, back in the day I used cooking Fridays as a reward for good behavior too. I would say that it was probably some of the best behavior that I have had in my teaching career. I was in an innercity/project school and the kids totally responded to that. But, I was very consistent with not letting kids participate or eat that had been in trouble. It was very hard for me, but it worked miracles!

I also tied in writing activities to go with the cooking.
teachntx is offline   Reply With Quote
kansasteacher

kansasteacher

one more thing
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

At the end of last year I also saw the Really Good Stuff catalog with the white board magnets of Ketchup, mustard, ect, and eat had a saying that went along with it. I decided to make some, so I got clip art of a ketchup and mustard bottle, and a mayo jar and then changed the lables to say "catch up", "must-do", and "may-do". I lamenated then and stuck magnets on the back. Next to each one on the white board I would write things to catch up on, assignments that we didn't finish go under must-do and extra things like writing projects that can be done after all other work is done went under may-do. The kids really liked it and it was a good way for them to keep track of their work.

I really liked the "I'm a "pizza" the 3rd grade" idea! Keep the ideas coming! Only about four weeks left to go before I get this room started!

teacherchar

Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Anyone have pictures they could post of these - and other - great ideas around the cooking theme? I love seeing everyone's creativity!
teacherchar is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

Don't forget the pickles!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Behavior board

"Keep yourself out of a pickle" and post your rules!
Or "Behavior we Relish"
"We relish Great Work" and post a pic of pickle relish with the good work papers!
"OLIVE great work!" and use olives! I don't know just some ideas.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
purplepants

purplepants

my ideas
Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am in an interesting school and my homeroom is in the kitchen which looks like everyone's kitchen...not an industrial kitchen. I plan to have the same theme this year. I haven't found anything but I will post if I do.
purplepants

purplepants

trying again
Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Let me try again to post...
I found tons of stuff for you and left a message but apparently it didn't take.

Since I don't want to look all over again I'll give you a summary:
Go to Creative Teaching Press. Search for Cook and Kitchen and recipe. I found some good bulletin board stuff there.

Go to Reallygoodstuff.com, search for deli. They have an interestrsting set and also look at the related items.

I can't remember the rest, I found so much!

teachersheart

Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I should get commission from this company but reallygoodstuff.com does have a some "food" themed items like the pp said.
teachersheart is offline   Reply With Quote
aaw

aaw

more ideas
Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am going to to this theme for the 2008 school year. I like the ideas so far. For my spelling words, I plan on called them the weekly "menu." Also, Each month, I will have students create projects related to the reading themes. The first project will be the appetizer, the second will be the entree, and the third will be the dessert. Just a thought.
Liz Hen

Liz Hen

cooking
Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I found a cute boarder for cooking and a bulletin board at Brainstorm in Lake Villa , IL....

Family Fun magazine had a pattern to make a chef's hat for the students...

On my classroom door...We're the best cookies in the jar...I'll make cookies with brown construction paper placing black dots representing chocolate chips..and printing students name on them....

Am looking for small wooden spoons for lockers. Thought I would place a magnet on the back of the spoon and print the student's name on the spoon. Someone mentioned Target's dollar section...

All I want to do is Stir up a great year for my first graders
Kathie

Kathie

Cooking theme for staff development
Old 07-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

These are all great ideas, I am a principal and always have a theme for my staff development at the beginning of the year. This year I wanted to do "Cooking up a great year!" If anyone has any team building ideas or theme ideas staff would like just let me know!
teach9580

teach9580

Cooking theme team building
Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What a fun principal!!! Maybe put your staff into teams with an ingredient and do a "Iron Chef" type competition or give each team 5 ingredients and see what they come up with, kind of like the tower building team building activity. Have fun!

kitty70

cooking theme classroom
Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am also implementing the cooking theme in my classroom. I am having trouble coming up with ideas. Will you please explain the "Be a smart cookie....."? I don't understand how to place large cookies that have picking a just right book on the posterboard. My theme is We're Cooking in 3-01. My center signs are Roasting into Reading, Tasty Technology, Marinating into Math. That's about it. Please help me,school is just around the corner.
kitty70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Atti

Atti

More on cooking theme
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have the same school wide theme. Your ideas are great! I've also thought about covering my two bulletin boards with gingham tablecloths and aluminum foil...

tbone

Fresh Batch Of Smart Cookies
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I too want to bring my Outside Bullitin Board idea throughout the classroom. I have a large chef saying "Cooking up a fresh Batch of Smart Cookies" I have about five cookie sheets made out of foil and then I got oven mitts at the dollar store and put two on either end of the cookie sheets. I photo copy choc chip cookies on brown construction paper and write their names on them. I was trying to think about some cute names/ideas for my Guided Reading Groups as well as what to call some of the centers. I LOVE your Reading Cafe idea!! How about adding GOT BOOKS??? (got milk?) Doing like a book reccomendation chart on recipe cards. I was thinking of having reading groups called the Oreo, Gingerbread, Chips Ahoy, Vienna Fingers, etc. but how to make it look cute/creative?? Really Good Stuff had some cute things but I really wanted to stick to the cookie theme as well. For Back to school night you can have items written on cookie shapes that you could use in your classroom---have them in a big pretzel Jar and say "Please Steal a cookie from the cookie jar" also have cookies on the tables for parents to eat during your presentation. Any thoughts on the reading groups?? Hope some of this helped
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote

ehoper1

Book Idea
Old 09-07-2008, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I am teaching Fourth Grade this year and I am also doing a Food Theme. I thought that we would do cooking once a month, and the students have to think of a creative writing story to go along with the recipe(Like the Strawberry Shortcake story) Then they will publish their books and glue the recipe on the back of the book.

I was also thinking the students could pick their table group name(Fruit or Vegetable) and at the end of year quarter that table will make something with their ingredient to share with the class.
ehoper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Danithea

Danithea

3rd Grade Teacher
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Maybe you could give each team/grade level a recipe card with a very simple recipe to cook. Possibly something that doesn't require heating, i.e. salad, cookies with ice cream, fruit punch mixture, sandwiches, snack mix, etc. Then, once each team is done, you could eat it for lunch during the lunch break from the staff development. Just a thought. Or, you could have one large recipe card and have each grade level to brain storm ideas and come up with one ingredient to add to the recipe card that once "mixed" together, they will have a wonderful recipe for cooking up a great school year.
ldalbey

ldalbey

teacher
Old 07-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I used this theme last year and was thinking about it again this year. Reall Good Stuff had a set of posters and pencils and pencil holders last fall, but I don't see it this year. You all gave me some great ideas to keep up this theme though. One thing I did that was cute...My Student of the Week board was called Top Chef. It had that title and a real chef's hat pinned on it. It was pretty cute and the kids liked being that week's Top Chef. They wore another chef's hat while they presented the poster about themselves that was displayed on the bulletin board.

doc2000

Need Help .....
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I've gotten some really great ideas from this thread. So far, this is what i plan on doing:
wooden spoons: Bathroom passes
Cooking up great year: Cookie shapes, names in choc. chips. For open house (day one) fill babyfood jars with tiny choc chip cookies and glue the chef duck (oriental trading) to top.
Chef puppet: st. takes it home and the family writes their favorite recipe in a blank book attached to puppet and history behind recipe. By end of year will have a cookbook.

I don't have a cooking theme for writing center.......ideas?
doc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote