Discipline plan for 4th graders - ProTeacher Community

iteach4

Discipline plan for 4th graders
Old 05-18-2006, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am thinking about changing the way I handle my daily discipline. I need to find something new. I want to make it more positive.
Please share your ideas.
Thanks!

iteach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

newoldteacher

Preferred Activity Time
Old 05-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use Fred Jones PAT method of classroom management. Of course, I've customized his basic plan to conform with the needs of my class. Look it up at www.fredjones.com. It's all about the class earning time to do "preferred" activities. : )
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TRB

positive motivation
Old 05-19-2006, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I keep a tangible motivation on hand. When I see a problem, I look for someone who is doing it right, I comment on the right behavior and reward that student. Currently my class is collecting die-cut smiles. 5 smiles equal a sticker. Earn enough stickers and you get a prize. My current prize came from the Dollar Tree.
TRB is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

time
Old 05-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didn't want to spend a lot of time on discipline, and I've had real success with what I do. Some of it probably appears negative, but it works. To promote teamwork, I keep a jar that I randomly put colored marbles in any time I see the class is doing what they're supposed to. After the jar is full, they earn a popcorn party. It takes several months to fill the jar, but they don't care! For individuals, if they aren't reprimanded throughout the day (or forget homework), they get a ticket (the kind on rolls) at the end of the day. They put their student number on the back and throw it in a basket. Each day I pull 2 tickets and they pick from my treasure chest. The tickets stay in there all week (so most have more than one chance to win), and I start over on Monday. I still take away recess if they don't do homework, because we have a "recess room" where they complete the homework. Mine rarely miss their homework, and thankfully I rarely have discipline issues!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
evans

evans

hope these help
Old 05-24-2006, 02:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi, I teach fourth grade and use what I call "Swim to the Top" I have 5 lines on the board. Every student has a fish cut out with their # on it(magnet on back) , when they are "caught" doing the right thing, they swim up a line, when they get to the top they get to high roll. The high roll consists of rolling a die, with each # representing something, 1-no homework pass, 2-lunch with a friend, 3-treasure box, etc..

Another thing I do, is for a team work incentive, is I use those math manipulative links and when the students get 15 they get a party. They can earn these by having everyone complete homework in the class, great report from the lunch aides, a compliment from another teacher when walking in the hall, etc...

In the past, when I taught first grade, I used "Let your Light Shine" bulletin board for classroom management. That was super easy. Every student has a light bulb (I used the little cut outs from Carson-Dellosa sp?) When the students were caught doing good, they got a star sticker to put on their light bulb, when they got a set # they would go to the treasure box.

what do you presently do, I am always looking for new ideas....

Good Luck, Amy

Grade4Teach

Old 05-25-2006, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really like the swim to that top idea. I am thinking of going back to my fish theme for next year so I might have to give it a go.

I used to do the red, yellow, green thing, I found it to work great and it was managable. As for homework, I have my students play homeworkopoly and they love it.
Grade4Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Kylee

Kylee

More about homeworkopoly...
Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm a first year 4th grade teacher and am interested in what homeworkopoly is all about. Sounds fun.

Grade4Teach

Do a Search
Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You can do a google search for Homeworkopoly. I also think there is a site homeworkopoly.com. You will find it everywhere. A lot of the sites have boards you can print out but I made my own so that I could put the names of local streets in. I am a bit particular so I made a huge board and had it printed rather then the way the sites do it. If you still need info, let me know, I will post more.
Grade4Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Margaret916

My discipline plan
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have the red/yellow/green pocket chart that does dual duty.

The red/yellow/green cards are pretty standard, but then we also have superstars (We're Ms. Sisler's Superstars!). They are simple slips of paper with stars -- i print about 20 per page and cut them out. They live in the bottom pocket usually, but when i catch kids doing something wonderful, i tell them to give themselves a superstar! They put a star in, when they get 10 they earn a cheapy prize from the box and put a star on a class chart. The class earns a party when they ALL get a star. They are responsible for keeping up with whether they have 10 stars, put their sticker up and only get their prizes/stars in the morning before announcements conclude.

I think the positive stars with the red/yellow/green consequences (they lose partial recess for a yellow, and all for a red, plus they write the color in their agenda daily for mom and dad to see) work well with both 4th and 5th graders. They really like those cheap prizes and popcorn parties or kickball games!

Good luck!
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stefanie

Good Idea
Old 06-08-2006, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like the ticket idea and have thought of doing it before. However, I have a question; If you keep the tickets in there all week what do you do if someone who was a real discipline problem that day, or doesn't have their homework wins? Thanks for sharing!
Stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

tickets
Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I still let them pick from the treasure chest. That rarely happens, but it does happen. It's never been an issue - they just know they have less of a chance when they "mess up".

I've done the tickets with 3 different grade levels (3rd, 4th, and 5th), and it's always been the easiest (I'm a low-maintenance person!), most effective method.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Texas Gal

Old 06-13-2006, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I did a BINGO board using a 100s chart. I cut up #s 1-100 and put them in a jar. If I gave them a compliment, if everyone did all homework assignments, etc. I would let them pull a # at the end of the day. Then I would take that # and tape it on the 100s chart. If the principal or guest complimented us, then they got to draw 2 #s. They had to get 10 in a row across, down or diag for a BINGO. When they got a BINGO, we had a BINGO "party." This was just free play for about 30-45 minutes with a soda, gum, popsicle, etc. Since we don't hace recess at my school, this was a real treat! It actually takes a while for this to happen, believe it or not. This was a great motivator for my 4th graders.
Texas Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
AWARD1600

AWARD1600

names of lines?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Do you have a name for each line or are they just lines you've drawn on the board?? I really like the idea and want to use it in my 4th grade classroom this year. I am just trying to picture it.

JenTeachSC

Love and Logic
Old 07-19-2006, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love using the Love and Logic approach. It is a common sense approach backed by research. It makes problem solving the children's responsibility not yours. There is a book written especially for classroom use. Basically the approach emphasizes choice and natural consequences.
JenTeachSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Jamaica

Jamaica

Knowledge Dollars
Old 07-19-2006, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I create "money". Each dollar has a different fact on it. I teach Math, Sci and SS. So my facts come from the curriculum. They get these for different things. One day I may say everyone who has their homework gets a dollar. I do this at random. If they do not flip their card that day they get a dollar. If the class gets a compliment they get a dollar. And so on... At the end of the month we have an auction (stuff from the dollar store). They have to bid on the items. The money is no good the next month (I use different colors of paper) so they try to spend all their money.