Everyday Math games - ProTeacher Community

charya824

Everyday Math games
Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to gather a variety of math resources from Investigations, Saxon Math, Everyday Math, etc. b/c my new school uses Harcourt-Brace and it's not good.

I know some of the Everyday Math games from first grade, but some of these second grade ones I found are new.

Can you briefly tell me how any of these are played?

Thank you so much.

-Spinning for Money
-Dollar Rummy
-High Roller
-Addition Spin
-Fact Extension Game
-Hit the Target
-Array Bingo
-Soccer Spin

charya824 is offline   Reply With Quote

francis

Math Game
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know the games you mentioned , but I always play "Double War" (I don't like he name-new title anyone?) It is from our prior math series.

It is a take on the traditional card game called War, only you turn over two cards. The deck is delt out, face down between two players. (one group can do a three way if there is an odd number of students).

Each player turns over two cards. The spots on the cards help students to add on on count backwards. Ace is one. J/Q/K are worth ten. The other are their face number.

Outloud, each player annouces their score. Choose your variation. You can add or subtract. High score or low score wins-you choose. The winner collects all four cards and places them on the bottom of their stack.

If the score is tied, then "war" ensues. Each player places three cards face down, and the fourth one is turned over. Whoever has the winning card, wins all cards played that turn.

The winner is the person who has the most cards when you announce "game over".
francis is offline   Reply With Quote

charya824

francis
Old 06-26-2008, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you. We play that with number with number cards or number cards with little pictures. In other programs it's called "Addition Top-It" and "Double Compare".

Last edited by charya824; 06-26-2008 at 06:00 PM..

luvteachin

From what I can remember...
Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have my math book here at home with me, but most of these games were reproducibles. I'll try to explain the games I know... this will be my 4th year in 2nd grade, but I still have to take the book home occasionally to study! Maybe someone else who is familiar can jump in and correct me...

Spinning for Money - Students played with a partner. Each partnership had a baggy of coins (there were only so many of each coin so that they had to trade out occasionally). The game mat looked like a pie chart with pictures of the coins in each section -- I can't remember how many of each coin were in each section, though. The students used a pencil and a paper clip held in the middle of the circle for a spinner. The goal, if I remember correctly, was to spin and collect the money shown, trading out for larger coins as needed, to try to be the first to $1.

Addition Spin - Was used to practice adding 2 digit numbers, and multiples of 10, preferably mentally. There were two circles on this page. Each circle had several (again, sorry, I can't remember how many) 2-digit numbers. One of the circles had multiples of 10. They used the pencil/paper clip spinner to spin for two numbers and were encouraged to add them mentally. Their partner checked them with a calculator.

Dollar Rummy - I believe the focus was on finding complements to make $1. The cards had 5 cents, 10 cents, 15 cents, etc. up to 95 cents. You could remove the 5's to make it easier, or leave the 5's in for a challenge. They start with 5 cards (I think) and the rest face down in a deck, then draw from the deck to make pairs to equal $1.

Hit the Target - Focus was on complements for multiples of 10. One partner gave the other a target number (multiple of 10) and a starting number (not a multiple of 10). The other partner used a calculator to change from the starting number to the target number, recording the attempt taken each time and the result from the attempt. At first it took several attempts, but by the end of the game, some had caught on to the complements and were able to get it in just one or two attempts.

Those are all that I'm familiar with... we did Array Bingo in the past, but then this year decided to not do it, as it was not in our district curriculum for 2nd grade.

I hope that helps some... I wish I had my book here at home... it's kind of hard to describe.
~Toni
luvteachin is offline   Reply With Quote

colorbywords

Old 06-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

High Roller and Fact Extension Game I don't think are in Everyday Math. I have my new 3rd edition stuff here and I looked through to find it, but couldn't.

Here's what it says about Array Bingo:

Players roll the dice and find an Array Bingo card (reproducible) with the same number of dots. Players then turn that card over. The first player to have a row, column, or diagonal of facedown cards calls out Bingo and wins the game.

Soccer Spin:

Players choose a spinner to use during the game. They choose a team to cheer for, Checks or Stripes. They then predict which team will win based on their spinner. They spin the spinner to check their prediction. (It has reproducibles with spinners)

colorbywords is offline   Reply With Quote

charya824

thank you
Old 06-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for your help Toni and Colorbywords! I just wanted a general idea of what these games were so I could kind of make them up w/o the math masters.

Now I have something else to do this summer.

hopealope

try
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

go to www.mathwire.com I like to go there and get games to use. My class loves clean up the money. you place coins on a coordinate crid and then the kids roll two dice one with a-f and the other 1-6. They then go to that spot on the grid and remove a coin if 1 is there and they keep a tally on their chart. At the end they total their coins and the winner has collected the greatest amount of money.
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote

charya824

wow
Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is a great site. Thanks.