Social Studies

Social Studies Warmups

>

YHG311

YHG311

Social Studies Warmups
Old 05-20-2006, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching middle school social studies (world geography) starting in August 2006, and I'd like to start off each class with a warmup so the students are ready to learn. Do any other social studies teachers use overhead warmups? If so, is there a good book or website where I can find that opening work lasting no more than 5 minutes?

fun_friend

Old 05-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught social studies 3 years ago (6th grade geography), I had what I called a "Geography Knowledge Builder" or "GKB." My lead teacher gave me a book of daily geography questions. I typed them up and taped them to the desks, 10 questions per week. Each day, the kids had to do 2 questions and keep up with it until we finished the 10 questions. I sometimes gave them a quiz over this information, but grades were dismal because the kids didn't remember many facts.

Still, they got pretty good at using the features of their geography book to locate information: maps, index, glossary, gazzetter (sp?), etc. Sometimes, because (to me) the facts were so fascinating, I would also find more information on the internet or on a Microsoft CD atlas and use my LCD projector to extend the learning. I have no idea what the name of the book was where I got my information, but I do believe it came from a textbook publishing house.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote
dmp83

dmp83

Mrs. Waffenschmidt
Old 05-23-2006, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi, on Mrs. Waffenschmidt is also a great warmup. Just google that name and you'll find the site. It's like Carmen San Diego and the kids love the name!

Nik

Social Studies Warm-ups
Old 05-23-2006, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do something similar. I write two geography questions on the board every morning. The kids work on these Bell Ringers while I take attendance. They keep the paper all week and turn in the ten answers on Friday. I find questions from multiple sources including EducationWorld.com (Geography from A to Z) and various books. I also look at the maps in the back of the text and make up my own questions.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
YHG311

YHG311

Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really like that "Geography A to Z" idea. As long as they have their textbook with a map, then it should fit them well.

PIRATE4

Around the World in 180 Days
Old 07-07-2006, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I give 4 clues for a specific destination. The clues go from easy to difficult. You can use little known facts, research, lat and long, landmarks, etc. The kids love it because they learn about places they have never had the chance to study.
PIRATE4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Danita

Danita

World Geography warm ups
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach 7th grade WG and I use DOG as my warm up activity. You can search for Daily Oral Geography and find lots of questions to use for this. I also use questions from thier books, example those from the pictures or end of the section. I give points for the DOG (I use this term since our mascot is a Devil Pup) and I check for complete sentence answers...writing across the curriculum and require that each DOG be dated and numbered. One method that works well is color...highlight the question and/or answer or both. Another good thing to do is GeoWords. I have the students divide paper into three sections...one for the word, one for the definition & the last for a drawing (colored for full credit). Hope this helps!
Danita

Danita

World Geo
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Let me know if you're interested in more ideas and I'll do all I can to help you out.

My email is danita72205@yahoo.com
middle school

middle school

nedd help
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

need help in were in the world is mrs.waffenshimidt #16,18
Mrs. Sheen

Mrs. Sheen

Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Can someone please provide me with the answers to the mrs_w_1.pdf file? I have figured all of them out but this one!

Thank you for anyone who answers in advance.
minime1234567

minime1234567

Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

thanks mrs.w