Daily 5, Work on Writing and Reading Response - ProTeacher Community

Lauren

Lauren

Daily 5, Work on Writing and Reading Response
Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I did the D5 last year, in first and I loved it! One thing I'd like to change is the Writing component. Like many of you, I use UoS. I didn't feel the writing portion of the D5 benefited my kids. It really turned into a "center." I was thinking of having that time just be for Reading Responses. So the kids would still be writing, but I would provide them with various response sheets/graphic organizers, depending on the whole group reading strategy we're working on. Eventually, the reading response choices would build up, so that the kids could choose one fitting for the book they're reading. Does this make sense? Now, my other question is this... Should they keep a reading response journal or binder? How will I manage all the papers, without it turning into a "center-like" table? Do any of you do anything like this?

cvt

D5
Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't really answer your questions about reading because I'm only just now starting the Daily 5. After reading all the interesting posts on Daily 5 (Blue Bonnet Room), I am going to try the D5 this year, but only during my guided reading period.

I also use UoS and will do that separately. I haven't quite figured out yet what my reading will look like, but some posters suggested doing the Daily 3 w/o the writing component.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

my kids do a reading response as a part of
Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

read to self. The are responsible for one reading response per week. It's a pretty simple activity that I tailor to match the strategy we're working on.
I keep the writing available...I make this "choice" writing. This was VERY GOOD for my kids. I had many kids who were not writing fans at the beginning of the year that found something about writing that appealed to them by the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I would put out suggestions for poetry or prompts I used a daily calendar from busy teachers cafe .com and of course they could free write. This flexibility is what ( I think ) makes the Daily 5 work. It places the child at the center of instruction by letting them have choice. I think this is what made it so successful in my room.

I also used UOS for writing ---during the daily 5 it was just practice as are all of the other components!

Just my opinion.

Kym
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Lauren

Lauren

During Read to Self, do you
Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

have the kids write their reading responses on forms you provide? Do you discuss their work with them, or do they hand them in, as they do them? In my room, we only have 15 minutes for Read to Self, plus 5 minutes for Check-In. I definitely don't have enough time for the written work to be done at that time, and I know I need to have it...somewhere. I had the same problem with Listening, too. The kids would listen to a story and then respond to it, in some way, but there just wasn't enough time. I appreciate your ideas. They're getting me thinking!

AD

Old 06-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For work on writing, my first graders do reading responses too. They use a reading journal (notebook). On the inside cover they have a sheet with choices for what they can write about. Along with each is a picture. I teach each choice during our shared reading time, then we do it together as a class (each student using their notebook and a read to self book-but we do it kind of together). They each keep their notebook in their book bin with their Read to Self and Read to Someone books.

I use UoS too, so I didn't want them to just right stories during the Daily 5.

PM if you have more questions!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

abra123

Work on Writing ...
Old 06-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hmmm ... you've given me something to think about! I did D5 last year and liked many things about it. It actually wasn't too far off what I was doing with a centers-based approach, I just got rid of some of the centers.

However, I am doing UoS next year, and I wanted to get rid of Work on Writing since we would be doing UoS for 45 minutes each day, and I figured that's where they'd get their writing. I was going to offer them the other four centers of D5. Now I might just do some of your reading response ideas for Work on Writing!

Amy
abra123 is offline   Reply With Quote

MNPolly

Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am changing the way that I did the Daily 5 as well. During working on writing my students will be doing open journaling. If they choose work on writing, I will write back to them in their journals. I did reading responses during the reading to self time. Sometimes they used premade forms (graphic organizers and book report forms) and other times they simply journaled about thier books.
MNPolly is offline   Reply With Quote

ILuv2teachk

I like the idea of
Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

responding to their journals! I imagine my responses would be almost like mini-conferences. I could write a praising comment, along with a question or anticipatory comment like, "I can't wait to see how your story ends!" Or something of the sort. I love this idea! I'm definitely going to take advantage of this next year. Thank you!
Another question I have is, how do you structure your choices for the D5? I have it organized so that each child gets 8 D5 cards: 2=Read to Self, 2=Read to Someone, 2=Word Study, 1=Work on Writing, 1=Listen to Reading. I have a D5 board up, (like a center board). It's just a grid, w/ names on the left, and the days of the week across the top. On Monday, each child chooses any 2 of his 8 cards and puts them under Monday (we only do 2 rounds a day). The rest of his cards go back in his desk. We do this each day, until Friday. This way, they choose where they go everyday, but by the end of the week, I know they've all done everything. I also have 2 Guided Reading cards for every student. I, myself, put those cards in the grid, based on my reading groups. That's why there are only 8 cards. The other 2 come from me. This works great, because if the kids see a GR card in one of their Monday pockets, they know to only choose 1 D5 for Monday. Make sense? Just wondering how you guys manage it all.
ILuv2teachk is offline   Reply With Quote

JLo

writing for the daily 5...
Old 07-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I started D5 last year, and the outcome was great! I bought a living room table and painted it bright in primary colors and labeled it writer's workshop on the side. I asked for the long 3 plastic paper storage bins from my parents. I put every type of writing, recipe, how-to, story writing, letter prompts (laminated), etc... I also had 2 big plastic buckets with a lid that was labeled oh the stories I could tell filled with writing prompts and starters. I also had that 10 - drawer storage which is labeled with reading responses worksheets that the child could pull out and complete after their reading. I have lots of other writing activities I could write if you are interested and for word work with math and science vocabulary...
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote

zookeeper44

Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I bought from Walmart small primary writing journals that were used during D5 writing - the kids loved them - had room to write and draw a picture to go with it.
zookeeper44 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

peony room
Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There is a new room dedicated to Daily Five. Check out the Peony Room.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote