Help

ARCHIVE

Homework

>

Bash1626

Homework
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year was my 1st year and I had some students who would not bring homework back to school. Either they forgot it at home or school. I would tell them 10 times before going home and they will still forget and mind you they were 3rd graders. I had a student walk around and check off the homework for me. I was thinking of having a stamp on their planner or have a special card for my behavior plan - I have a card system but then again behavior and homework are two different things. I am also moving to 4th grade next year. Any advice.

Bash1626 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinlife

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I take 10 points off for late work. I also send a note home to parents the first time an assignment is late, requiring their signature. After 10 missing assignments, I send students to the office. I am attaching the form that I use to track missing work. I found the idea on here and modified it to fit my own needs. You would make a folder for each child with this form in it and fill it out as need be.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Missing Homework Log (Individual).doc (61.0 KB, 367 views)
luvinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

I teach...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

7th and 8th grade science so it is a little different for me as far how my day is set up. However, I have the same problem with this age group. They just don't want to do homework. Towards the end of last year I was ready to pully my hair out. This year I'm going to really focus on what I assign as homework. I plan to be much more hands-on this year than I have been in the past. Students won't be assigned books, so that will really limit my homework assignments. My mentor told me she doesn't really assign homework. Any assignment she gives them, she makes sure they have plenty of time to do this in class and whatever they get done in class is what they get done. Obviously she adjust if she sees they are all struggling or whatever. This ensures that everyone gets a grade and a 5% is better than a 0. I'm going to try to do this in August. However, our prinicpal will be giving us longer periods with homework at the end of class in mind instead of more "teaching time" so this will be easier for me to do.

All that to say I've just been really evaluating the assignments I want to give as homework. What is their purpose?
cardinallady is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

While you will always get at least one or two who just never seem to catch on to any system you come up with (it is murphy's law or something) you can use Homeworkopoly in your room as a positive reinforcement. The 2 years I have used it for have given me much better results with homework being turned in.

I also do Fun Friday with a colleague. What happens is, one teacher takes the kids who have not been completing assignments (we called it Homework Club last year, but I am going to think up a new name) and they sit in her room silently and either complete that work or do something like practice math facts flash cards (I don't like them to silent read b/c I don't want them to see reading as punishment). The other teacher takes the students who did complete their work and they are allowed to play board games, draw with friends, play on the computer, etc. It does work wonders and I also use it for behavior consequences.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

Homeworkopoly
Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How does this work? Do you have rules or anything you could attach?

TeacherCarrie

Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sure thing, all you do is go to the site and download the materials there (for free!). You will probably want to do so on a color printer though. You can choose to download it with the streets filled in or choose to have them blank and then write in streets from your school's neighborhood (this is what I did to make it more familiar for the kids). You can also download the cards you will use for the game.
http://www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/

cardinallady

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I might try this. I think I could get my "big" kids into it.

TeacherCarrie

Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think you could definitely get it to work with them. It probably depends on what you put on the cards they will earn. Just match those to the types of rewards you would give middle school aged students.

Courtney451

luvinlife
Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you so much! That homework sheet is great!
Courtney451 is offline   Reply With Quote

kaese

hw policy
Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Several teachers at the school where I student taught used the following policy:
1st late/missed HW: do it at recess, then go play
2nd late: do it at recess and stay in afterward
3rd late: parent contact and administrative form
4th late: not allowed on field trips

Every quarter they were given a clean slate. You better believe only one kid missed a field trip before everyone fell in line. I understand at some public schools students cannot be held in at recess, so I guess it would need tweaking for that.

Also, I've read that making the homework part of a fun activity that is continued in class the next day is THE way to go, but that just seems easier said than done to me (like much of educational theory). There are some things that just can't be made fun, so I can't see it working on a daily basis in every subject. Maybe it's just me.

kaese is offline   Reply With Quote

renielen

Homework question
Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Where do you have your students to turn in their homework? I have a homework basket. Last year I had a hard time checking to see who turned in the homework in a timely manner because of my schedule. I was wondering if anyone had the students to put the homework on their desk in the morning and collect it then. This year I want to try something different. I teach 4th grade. Any suggestions?
renielen is online now   Reply With Quote

Courtney451

checking
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I also teach 4th grade. I do weekly homework packs so checking homework is much easier since it only comes in once a week. I have a student collect all of the homework and actually makes an announcement saying that it is final call. Then the student puts them in numerical order (each student has a number.) I have a chart near my desk that has all of the students names on it and then the collector puts a check mark next to the names of the handed in papers. The students are allowed to hand in homework one day late and the homework collector will write a "L" for late. This is a nice graph to look across the columns and see how often a student misses homework. I actually use it when I meet with parents. It is also helpful because I can look up at the big chart when I am filling out weekly reports. When the student is finished checking all homework onto the log he/she will come to me for a binder clip and then it is all nicely organized.
Courtney451 is offline   Reply With Quote

lov2teach2

homeworkopoly
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also have been using Homeworkopoly for about three years now and I really like it. I teach fourth grade also. I adapt the rewards to my class and they even come up with some, like help to be Paul (our janitors) Pal for lunch recess, or sit in a cusion chair for the day, bring their own game on Fun Friday. We do not give any food rewards, but I do let them pick out of my treasure box.
Also to answer another question asked about where to put homework. I bought at Office Max a gray cardboard file with eight sections in it. I label each one with a subject and that it where they hand in all there assignments. That way they always know where to had them in. Never do they hand it onto my desk, that is considered the black hole. Hope this helps. Good Luck! I do also like the missing assignment log too. So you can keep track of them.
lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sherri4ks

Checking in Homework
Old 06-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I collect homework daily and I use to tear my hair out trying to keep track of missing papers until I came up with this system. I purchased 2 long red pocket charts, the kind with the pockets that are big enough to put a piece of paper in. Each pocket has a label and I wrote the students' numbers on the labels in alphabetical order, with the lowest numbers at the bottom. When the kids come in, they put their homework papers in their pocket and I can tell at a GLANCE who did not turn in their work. I can quickly check with students who are missing papers and often find that they had just forgotten to turn it in. If the student did not do the work, I quickly jot their name down and they stay in at morning recess to do it. Once I have checked with everybody, I can pull the papers out of the pockets in about 5 seconds and best of all, they are in alphabetical order!!

I use the pockets to collect most of the work the kids do because it is so easy to see when everyone is done and check with those that haven't handed in their work. I don't even have to touch a piece of paper to be able to do this and I can tell from across the room. It is so easy to pull the papers, that I usually pull them after each assignment is done, so the pockets are empty for the next assignment.

I LOVE THIS POCKET CHART. It has saved me tons of time!! Here's a link to the one I use: http://ateachersupply.com/cart/index...&products_id=4
sherri4ks is offline   Reply With Quote

cardinallady

sherri4ks
Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

What a great idea! I'm so jealous. I teach 7th and 8th grade and have about 120 students a day so this is pretty much not an option for me, but oh how I wish it were. Love the idea!

shuntyswife

Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just wanted to share that I started Homeworkopoly during the year last year and I had kids begging me for more homework. Of course I still had those 2 who didn't turn anything in, but I was really impressed with the outcome!
shuntyswife is offline   Reply With Quote

5th4me

Homework punch cards
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I do the Homeworkopoly game. How the kids get to play is that they have to have their homework punch card punched 10 times (2 weeks of completed homework) in order to play. I use index cards, write their name on them and number 1-10 on each end of the card (that way you can use it for 4 weeks). They have to turn in their completed homework with the homework card paperclipped to it (I keep the homework cards in a basket next to the homework basket). Then I can easily tell who hasn't turned in their homeowork. If the homework is comleted, the card gets punched. At the end of 2 weeks, whoever has all 10 punches gets to play. If their are some that have just 1 day not punched, they get to go into a drawing and one gets picked to play. It is a real motivator for 5th graders. I have a class treasure basket that I also use along with the cards.
5th4me is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

where to turn it in
Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Where do you have your students to turn in their homework? I have a homework basket. Last year I had a hard time checking to see who turned in the homework in a timely manner because of my schedule.
I'm in the same boat. I was thinking about having a file folder in my homework tray. It will have a class list attached and students need to cross off their name when they turn in their homework.
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote

shuntyswife

About turning in homework...
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My kids turn in their HW in a chair at the front of the room. I'm hoping I will have a table next year! This may be a collosal waste of time, but during journal writing I go to the front of the room and call out the names of students who have turned in their homework. If they have it they get a check. It is really easy to see who didn't do it!
shuntyswife is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

Luvinlife
Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for posting your log - it is great - gave me idea for next year
bzetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

johabella

Morning Sign-in sheets
Old 07-01-2008, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My 5th graders come in and turn their homework in a basket. Then they "sign-in" on a checksheet that I created for the week during their morning procedures. They find their name, write down a #1 (turned in all homework), #2, (turned in some homework), or a #3 (didn't turn in homework) and then they initial. Before our lesson in which they did homework for, I have two students help pass back their homework, so that we can check it together, and so I can also see whose desk is "empty" because no homework was passed back to them. I quickly check the clipboard with their morning sign-in sheet to make sure everyone was trustworthy about writing down the right # for their homework.

I have had a couple of students not tell the truth when they sign in. For example, they would write down a #1 when they either didn't turn in their howework at all, or was missing a piece. I them call them out in front of the class for not being trustworthy, and it usually doesn't happen again.

I LOVE this system because it helps keep documentation of every student's weekly homework and it also helps academically to pass the homework back out to check together because it's a great review of the upcoming lesson. Those that didn't do their homework also benefit from watching the review. It usually only takes me about 5 minutes to go over the answers. I also love it because it makes it easy to see who's absent, if their name section is blank.

I would attach my sign-in sheet, but I'm a new member and I don't have that luxury yet.

I use homeworkopoly on Fridays too. The student of the week grabs the clipboard and calls the students that had all #1's on their sign-in sheet to roll the dice. I don't manage the game at all....which they LOVE!! Students that don't have all #1's work on making up one piece of their missing homework during this time.
johabella is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn4Life

Daily correcting HW and Non-HW Completion
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Last year I would correct math, spelling workbook and vocabulary workbook as a whole class each day. Here's my problem:

If I correct one of those subjects before recess, which is likely, and a student has not done that part of their HW, what should I do with them?

If they stay in class, they hear the answers (although there are a lot of them) and I don't really have anywhere to send them while the rest of us correct our work.

And the notification of incomplete HW to parents didn't seem to help as a motivator. Toward the end of the year, when they got tired and had more HW, some just wouldn't do spelling workbook/vocab because they knew our daily schedule would allow them to get it done at school.

Ideas?
Learn4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

cardinallady
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Just a possible suggestion... if you'd want to try the pocket chart idea....

Could you possibly give your students numbers? You could number the chart pockets instead of putting names. Then, when each class comes in, they know their number, put their homework in the pocket, you check it, collect it, and it's ready for the next class.

Just an option!
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

As the students arrive, they write down their homework in their agendas, put their homework folders in their agenda (bookmarking the page) and put it on my table.

While they are working on morning work, I am checking in homework. (I just use a regular ol' checklist page, filling in the homework each day.) I quickly look over their work, which gives me an opportunity to work one-on-one/small group to remediate. I also check their agendas for parent communication and that they did indeed write in their homework for the day.

When all agendas are checked, I hand them back.

Sometimes I collect the homework and check and/or correct it. Sometimes I pass it back for correcting in class.

Those who didn't do their homework have consequences - loss of recess, special activity, etc. - depending on the number of assignments missing. It's easy to see the # missing for the week because each checklist is a week. So, if there are many blanks, it's quite obvious. It also makes it easy to mark their weekly test packet regarding homework.

By the by, I LOVE the idea of the pocket charts, too. I could even use them as "mailboxes" for handing out flyers and whatnot for them to pick up as they pack up. (My school does not have a weekly folder, so flyers are being sent willy-nilly. Drives me crazy not to have a place to distribute them because I often set the stack down and forget to send them home!)
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

feleciayoung

Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful ideas for the homework. I especially like the homework punch cards and the missing homework sheet.

Before I do Homework Bingo. Students received a Bingo Card with 25 sqaures. They could miss homework assignment out of 25 days. I had prizes randomly placed on the card such as...1/2 of Homework Pass, 5 points on a quiz, Sit in the teachers chair, etc. It really helped.

Students will have thier homework and card out during the Warm-up and I would walk around to check thier homework and stamp or sign thier card.

I teach math, and this year I am only giving my students one word problem to solve each night, so I think it will be easier for me to check and do the Punch Card or Homework Bingo,
feleciayoung is offline   Reply With Quote