Help

ARCHIVE

poetry for middle school

>

moonflower28

poetry for middle school
Old 05-22-2006, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, i am currently doing my student teaching. i am looking for ideas and resources for a poetry unit I will be teaching to 6th and 7th grade students. I am looking for ideas and resources. Does anyone have any worksheets or information they can email me? I would greatly appreciate it. marissamontalvo28@yahoo.com

moonflower28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chantal

Chantal

hope this helps
Old 05-23-2006, 01:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For exposure to poetry, get Billy Collins' book. I forget the title but it is something like "180 poems" and it is a poem for each day of school. Kenneth Koch has 2 GREAT books on teaching kids poetry one is "Rose, where did you get that red?" and I forget the other one but I have used them effectively. Sorry my brain can't remember more titles right now!

fun_friend

Old 05-23-2006, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Scholastic has a great resource book called Similes and Metaphors you can Eat. There are lots of poetry ideas floating around on the internet too. Be sure to teach the language of poetry like simile, metaphor, alliteration, rhyme, etc., because these items are on the big state test! I should know. I DID teach alliteration in one lesson. It appeared on a standards check test and the big test and the kids had completely forgotten what alliteration was!!! Once you have introduced a lot of terminology, you can reinforce retention by creating a game like jeapardy or some kind of matching card game. Kids enjoy poetry forms too: ABC poems, acrostics, haiku, limerick, diamante, etc. I think it would be fun to have the kids compose at least 12 poems before Christmas and make a calendar for their parents for Christmas.

I like teaching poems the kids can read in different ways. If it is short, I challenge the kids to memorize it. If it is long, I like assigning sets of lines to the whole class and reading it a few times that way. Some poems can be read by two or more voices. Joyful Noise is a book of poems for two voices.

Maryteach advocates using lyrics of songs from the popular media to analyze versus poems in a textbook.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote