ARCHIVE

guest readers

>

crisjwgrl

guest readers
Old 05-23-2006, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I read a few posts about guest readers and I like the idea. However, I'd like to know a few specifics:
- is 1st grade too early?
- Who do you invite? We have a famous judoka in the area, I thought of a journalist from the local weekly, who else?
- Does the reader just ...read! or does he answer questions about his job, school memories etc?
- Does he choose his own book or do you give suggestions?
- Anything else I should know?
Thanks

crisjwgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tylana

Suggestions
Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No 1st is not too early.

You can invite the mayor of your town. THe princial, superintendent, or how about coaches of the hgih school sports teams. You can invite family emmbers of your students or older students.

It depends on the reader, some people have a book in mind that they want to share, others will ask for help. I always asked if they would like suggestions and gave them the books early enough that they could look through them, choose, and practice. ALso, check out if they have one in midn that it is not too long or advanced for your kids and don't be afraid to tell them so.

I usually ask the guest reader to share some info about themselves and let them know ahead of time so they can prepare something. You don't want to catch them off guard. Good luck!!
Tylana is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

guest readers
Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have had guest readers lots of times.
You can offer a book or have them bring their own.. Sometimes they have a favorite and others want an idea.

We just have our guest read

Ideas: Check your local high school, the football players, cheerleaders, dance team, ROTC cadets, ect. make great role models and really enjoyed reading to our students.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

aliryan

Old 05-23-2006, 10:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had dads come and read. Even if they didn't have children in the class. We also asked players from the local football team to come. They talked about what sort of material they read and why reading was important to them- eg. to get a driver's licence, newspapers. It was great.
aliryan is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

mystery readers
Old 05-24-2006, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my first grade class we do Mystery Reader-- i try to mix it up. We mostly have parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, etc... but then I also mix in community members.

Before that day, I secretly talk to the mystery reader and collect three clues from them: one that absolutely would not give them away (ie. when I was young, I had a dog named ____), one that might give the kids a hint, and one that will surely give it away (this one is sometimes even an inside joke or pet name) At the beginning of the day, I put up the mystery read poster, all folded up. I reveal one clue at a time. The last clue, I show right before the mystery reader comes through the door. Even though this project takes virtually no time for me to set up (especially if you front load by having sign up during conferences or open house), it is the highlight of the kid's year!

BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Grade5Okie

Grade5Okie

What about older classes?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do guest readers come once a week to finish a chapter book? Do they just read smaller books?

K/1 Teacher

mystery reader
Old 05-29-2006, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do mystery reader in my K/1 class. Mine is primarily parents/grandparents/school staff. They pick their own books, except a few have asked me for help choosing. They read one time each for 20-25 minutes. For an older grade I would suggest having them pick picture books to read, not chapter books. Older students should be able to enjoy picture books....there are many intended for older readers. The kids look forward to the mystery reader and it's nice for them to hear other adults read besdies their teacher and their parents!

Good luck!
K/1 Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Brooke

Brooke

older siblings
Old 05-29-2006, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My fourth graders have liked having older brothers or sisters come in to read. Over the years I've had students who had siblings who were in their early twenties. The student was excited to have family and the older sibling was delighted to come.

Illinois Packer Fan

Guest readers
Old 05-30-2006, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had several. This year there was:
the principal
the assistant principal,
the regional superintendent of schools
our state representative,
our former principal,
a grandma of one of the students,
a grandma of another student who taught 3rd grade for 35 years (she was terrific)
the mayor,
and a school board member.

I tried to get our curriculum director and superintendent but they turned me down (I was surprised!).
Sometimes they bring their own book and others prefer me to choose. They have all answered questions afterwards.

The kids seem to enjoy the variety of people that come in.
Illinois Packer Fan is offline   Reply With Quote