ARCHIVE

Shirtless around students appropriate?

>

Frank

Frank

Shirtless around students appropriate?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got hired as a substitute teacher for a summer camp program that is run by a school district that I sub for regularly. Many of the students know me. On two days during the summer, I have been assigned to supervise 3rd and 4th graders at the local pool. I was told that I must be in the water with them. The pool does not allow shirts to be worn in the water, so this will require me to be shirtless. My question is... is this appropriate around 3rd and 4th graders for which I have subbed?

gabanndor

If...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you are required to be in the pool without your shirt, it will have to be appropriate. I would maybe explain to them that you are there in a different capacity than you are during subbing.
gabanndor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

shirt for pool
Old 05-23-2006, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Of course, the pool does not want any old shirt worn in the pool for safety reasons (shirts can get caught up around the neck or weigh a person down). However, there are lycra shirts that are meant to be worn in the water (usually sold at swimsuit stores) that are used to prevent sunburn and hypothermia. Perhaps the camp would allow this type of "swim shirt" to be worn. I have often seen supervisors, instructors and lifeguards that wear these type of shirts. My own children wear them when we have a chance to go to the ocean. Perhaps the "no-shirt" rule is mainly for the children's safety. Maybe you could inquire more and find out if you can wear a swim-shirt to prevent sunburn.
Suezie is online now   Reply With Quote
C.

C.

Frank
Old 05-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The past two summers I worked for a day camp that catered to the kids at my school. We spent two hours a day at the pool! yes, I had to get in the pool with them. I didn't wear a bikini, but I did wear a swimsuit, a tankini (the two piecers with a tank top). The kids were fine around it. They never mentioned it and it didn't effect (right word?) them come school time. And I had at least five of them in my class! They had a harder time calling me Mrs.... instead of Cindy! Have fun this summer and remember to wear sunscreen!

Tounces

pool
Old 05-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I guess its appropriate because you are in a pool. I would be uncomfortable and wouldn't want to do it. The alternative shirt ideas are good. I'd look into them.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote
AAnders

AAnders

Do as the Romans do
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The kids won't care, if that's what you're worried about. They've all seen adults in swim suits before. Granted, they're going to act a little different since it's a recreational setting, but their behavior won't have anything to do with you being shirtless. Sunburn is a very legitimate concern, however, especially if you're going to be in the water for a long period of time.

Cathy-Dee

not a problem
Old 05-24-2006, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have teachers in our school (male of course) who are topless when they take their class swimming. The only time I think you may want to be more cautious is with the older grades (7 upwards) as their hormones are running rampant and while it wouldn't be inappropriate in the situation of swimming, it is sometimes better to err on the side of caution.

But do look into the other "top" ideas as one of them may work out and thus solve your problem easily.
Cathy-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 05-28-2006, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can see why you would feel uncomfortable or concerned, but I think it will be okay, since it's 3rd and 4th graders. I agree with the other poster who said older kids would have a problem.

If I were you, I'd talk to the supervisor about your concerns and find out about an alternative. Maybe they can change your assignment or allow you to wear one of the other shirts that were described here.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
PamS.

PamS.

Shirtless
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have a community pool where I live. Several of the children in the community are students at the school I teach in. I wear a bathing suit every year and none of them seem to mind. When summer comes, they don't look at me as the teacher anymore, just a mom at the pool. I am sure the children will enjoy having you there. What are the other male counselors doing? I would do what they are doing. You are a counselor now, not a teacher.