Help

ARCHIVE

Serving Up Success in 5th Grade!

>

Newbie06

Serving Up Success in 5th Grade!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

While trying to enjoy my summer my brain is racing for additional ideas for my classroom theme next year. I plan on doing something with cooking, or chefs... something along those lines. My hallway bulletin will feature an outline of a chef with a serving platter and coming off the the platter will be my title "Serving Up Success in 5th Grade." I will use a red and white checked tablecloth as my background with a black boarder. I am going to hot glue spoons and forks to the boarder. When students return in the fall I plan on taking their picture wearing a chef's hat, or an apron, or holding a mixing bowl and wooden spoon to add to the board. I will also have the students write their own "recipe" on How to be a Successful Student on actual recipe cards and place them under their pictures on the bulletin board.

However... I don't know how else to incorporate this theme. I'm in search for any and all suggestions you may have to help enhance this theme. Something for classroom jobs.. -- Perhaps waitress? hostess? And an area to display good work.. "Look What we Cooked Up? These are what I am working with and any additional support and ideas are very much welcomed! Thank you!

Newbie06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dianne

Recipe
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a recipe I use to teach writing. In TN we have a state assessment in 5th grade. The students are given a senario and have 35 minutes to write a page or two narrative. My recipe is cook in first person and past tense, 2 Tble. of figurative language, 3-4 tsp. of time order words, 3-5 pinches of upper vocabulary, 1-2 Tble. quadruplets, 1 beginning, 1 middle, and one conclusion. I love your theme.
Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote

eduk8rsns0203

Cute theme
Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love your idea. You could do a job board with, like you said, the waiter/waitress - who gets the papers/other supplies, hostess - greets visitors to the classroom and can assist them in what they need, Chef - could be the line leader and mediator for minor classroom problems, Sou Chef - could help if you have a substitue, etc. Of course, you can also do weekly/monthy cooking projects with the students, from making their own play dough for a project to cookies for Mother's Day.

Good luck.

I have been teaching for 6 years and haven't had a theme this year I decided to do an American theme. I, too, am looking for ideas on how to incorporate it into more areas of learning.
eduk8rsns0203 is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Recipe
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have not done this particular activity so I don't have explicit directions. When I was the computer teacher at my school another teacher had her students interview each other and write a "recipe" for the person they interviewed. The recipes included a list of "ingredients" and "mixing" directions.

The students typed their recipes in the computer lab and added a picture of the student.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie06

Thanks!!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. I can't wait to start putting it all together in my classroom! However, I am still in need of "dressing" up other areas of my classroom while incorporating this theme. Newsletter title? Class library name? Tracking AR progres? Or, if you can suggest another area of the classroom to tie into this theme. This is only going to be my 3rd year teaching and my first doing a theme. I appreciate all of the help I've gotten so far and look forward to any and all additional suggestions and advice!

Newbie06

Job Board title
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was just thinking again... what about a title for a job board?? I plan and having jobs like hostess, waiter/waitress, sous chef, chef, etc.. but I want to label the board something cute. Any suggestions???

Ellensclass

If you do a board....
Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

outside of your room before school starts with each of the kids names on it, you could put a big pot with lots of vegetables and stuff falling into it. Have each kids name on one of the veggies and call it "Our class has the recipe for success" or "we have all of the ingredients for success!"....
Just a thought.
Ellensclass is offline   Reply With Quote

Ben Franklin

Joan - 6th grade
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This sounds like a fun idea to work with. You could do a math board using this with math problems on the recipe cards. Post on Monday and let the class answer, turn in and check on Friday (review) to see who's the winner.
Ben Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 06-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here is the collection on PT about a cooking theme.
http://www.proteacher.org/c/570_Them...ood_Theme.html

Another thread that was started about this same theme with some great ideas!
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=86731

These you have to pay for, but there is a sample and you can kind of take some ideas if you like them
http://www.teachersclubhouse.com/cooking.htm

I hope those ideas help you!
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote