Help

ARCHIVE

Class Library

>

Bernski

Class Library
Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I look at all the pictures posted with bins and crates full of books, I can't help but wonder...where did you get all your books from?

Do you buy your class library books or does your school provide you with books?

Bernski is offline   Reply With Quote

shuntyswife

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Most of mine were donated by a retired teacher friend! The rest have all been purchased by yours truly. I take advantage of Scholastic every chance I get!
shuntyswife is offline   Reply With Quote

WebJunkie

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Scholastic..... Each year at the beginning of the year if you can make 200 dollar order you get like thousands of points. I use these to buy literature circle sets or occasionally they will sell 100 books for a certain amount of points. I get those.

I also get some off of ebay. Ive won so many. I also have a donation section where during Read Across America week students bring in their gently used old books that they dont want any more and drop them off with me.
WebJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

Library
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My first year my principal bought books for my class with money from the PTO ( I had 350 books to start) Then I joined scholastic and got lots of free books through bonus points when ever my class ordered. They give coupons for $10 in free books (arrow and lucky) so it's really $20 in free books per month from September thru June. I very quickly added to my class library that way.
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Science

books
Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught 3rd grade, I had a class library of books that I got from used bookstores, flea markets, neighbors who have children that outgrew the books. I traded in books at the used bookstore for store credit. Then I spent hours looking for books. I now teach middle school science and I do the same but I look for specific informational books.

Ms. Science is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Books
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My library got started because my first school had just redone the library the summer that I came. They had all of the books that they no longer were going to use on carts that were free for teachers to take. I got as many as I could then but many of them were too old and some were completely inappropriate!

A lot of my books have come from Scholastic through the bonus points I've earned with student orders. I also frequent Half Price Books but I'll only buy books that are SUPER cheap there. I also go to the thrift store, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. I've heard that garage sales and flea markets are good places to look as well although I haven't done that. If you search eBay for children's books you'll often find a lot of them for pretty cheap. You could try to post a wanted ad on craigslist or freecycle too. I've also heard of teachers asking for families to donate any books that their children are no longer reading to the classroom library. You could write in there Donated by: ________.

I hope this helps you out!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Bernski

Old 07-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I usually go through Scholastic. I let my students order as well and take advantage of collecting bonus points to order books from.

I did find a used book store (Half Price Books) which I will go to to add to my collection.
Bernski is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Goodwill and Garage Sales
Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is where I get a majority of my books -- I love Scholastic too - the points are great and since I teach a bilingual 2nd grade it's a good place to get Spanish books for cheap!

NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Combsread

Ebay all the way
Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've gotten over a hundred books for 30 bucks plus shipping but thats awesome. A lot of times the lists of books already have the AR levels and points ready to go, you just have to put it on the book. Go to search and type in Accelerated Reader lots, or teacher lots, and let the bidding start.
Combsread is offline   Reply With Quote

Mamahen

Using the Points!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've gotten most of mine from Scholastic using points. It doesn't take long to accumulate points. I also take advantage and buy multiple copies of their books that are .95. I also buy books with any enhancement money we get from the state.

Mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote

LiveLaughLove

Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I second using the points. Always take advantage of Scholastic's Back to School offer. They give you like 6000 points for reaching a goal of $200. My kids usually order that much for the first order or I will put in the difference. It is too good of a deal not to. Usually you earn 1 point per dollar spent sometimes double or triple. That way I can order their library packs 49 books for $49 or 100/$100 (I always get wonderful books that way. Last year I did the 49 and got the entire Harry Potter hardback series and Chronicles of Narnia! They also count packages as 1 book, so I got a few 6 book sets they counted as 1 book. I think it is well worth the money.
LiveLaughLove is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I first started teaching my school gave me 200 to get the library started. After that I always get books from students as gifts, I buy some at local cheap book sales, have acquired them from teachers who have left and use Scholastic too. Now I have TOO many. Find someone who is retiring or leaving. You will feel like you hit the jackpot!

Good luck!
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

busytchr

books
Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also frequent yard sales/garage sales during the summer months.
You would be amazed at the selection out there! The books are often the books that were just in the Scholastic paper the school year before. I find books that seem like they weren't even cracked open and read.
busytchr is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

other libraries
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our public library has a big book sale at least once a year. In addition, they have shelving which contain discarded books for sale near the checkout. The books are 25 cents for paperback and $1.00 for any hardback books. Our school librarian discards books yearly and those books are made available to the teachers for their school libraries.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

TrueTeach

Look into used books, not new ones
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have been very fortunate to have collected my books over the last decade (since the beginning of college). If I were you, look into library book sales, garage/yard sales, and any other kind of used book sale. That's where I've found the best stuff! Also, I've been given books by three different retiring/retired teachers, I've ordered books from Scholastic, and very occasionally, I buy brand new books. Also, last year my school provided us with a variety of books because we use the workshop model instead of basals, so that was nice. I've been very lucky to have found so many great deals for my own personal collection, but I'm sure that if you look into used book sales, you'll find some good stuff.
TrueTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

i have collected my books from tons of places. Teachers who were leaving their own classroom gave me a ton, but i also got a lot from garage sales (most recently i got 60 books for about 10 bucks, and most were newberry's). i also frequent library book sales. some of the local libraries near me hold one or two book sales per year and have thousands of books for sale. i usually find this information at www.booksalefinder.com ...just click on your state on the map. if there aren't a lot listed near you, just google library locations near you and call them. i have literally walked out of library book sales with a garbage bag full of books for 2 bucks on their bag sale day.

p.s. if you go during a bag sale day, you don't really have the time to peruse and take your time. i usually don't go through them and sort them until i get home. sometimes one or two books will be marked up or something and then they go in the trash. but it is still worth every second of the bag sales.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

anesthesia16

library/donated books
Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My local library has a section of used/donated books. Kids' books are 25 cents each! I have found a ton of great stuff.

I also have started hitting garage sales. Scholastic is AWESOME too!!!
anesthesia16 is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Books
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

When I started teaching, I had no books and no bookshelves. I was then told that there was no money in the budget to buy books for my classroom.
So, I went to Goodwill and Half-price books. I also went to the public library book sale. I stacked up crates and put them in there.
Over the years, I continue to purchase books at the same places. My aunt works in the public school system so she gives me boxes of books after her grandchildren have gotten what they wanted.
My school only provides us books that come with the adoption (little readers, decodables). I put them on the shelf, however, they are hardly used and still look brand new. So, I use them during guided reading.
BTW, Kohl's has the hard back Brown Bear Books (and the others) for $5. You can also get the stuffed animal to with each book for the same price.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Volleyann

Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Most of my books come from Scholastic. I think that is a great way to get good books at a good price. The bonus points are also a good thing. I have gotten books at garage sales, donations, and half.com.
Volleyann is offline   Reply With Quote

stella4

books
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

When I started teaching, my classroom came with no books. I've bought most of my books at Half Price Books. I also use Scholastic book points. I don't know if you are a new teacher or not, but if you are contact Scholastic so they will send you the order forms. The beginning of the year points are fantastic. I also look for any sale that come along. I also shop occasionally at bookcloseouts.com.
stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Darlene

Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

At first mine came from the school, our 6th - 8th grades moved to another school and I was able to look through the books and take what I needed. I also received a ton of books from teachers in my building. OVer the years I have added to my library through scholastic points, grants, etc.
Darlene is offline   Reply With Quote

love2tch1

Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My dear old mother is a teacher as well and has passed several books along my way. I've had some donated to me, used my bonus points from Scholastics and frequent Half Price Bookstore often. They have clearance books for a $1.00 and I can sometimes find some really nice titles!
love2tch1 is offline   Reply With Quote

janne

books
Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I get mine at garage sales, antique flea markets (cheaper here, then at used book stores, I bought 5 today for .50ea.), used book stores, Scholastic, parent donated and from used library sales.

janne is offline   Reply With Quote

Redundancy

I buy.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I probably have spent over $5,000.00 on my extensive classroom library in total. That is why my husband has put me on a book budget and has been known to take my credit card away from me at times.
Redundancy is offline   Reply With Quote

srsaunde

Warehouse Sale
Old 07-08-2008, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Scholastic warehouse sale! About 3-4 times year they open their warehouses and sell their merchandise for 30%-80% off. You can get on the email list to receive notices if you are in the area. They also have a great $1 section. I have gotten probably $1,000 worth of books for only $400 or so. They take tax exempt letters and have $10 coupons.

If you go to scholastic.com and search "warehouse sale," you'll get info about them!
srsaunde is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

redundancy,

i, too, am on a strict school budget...lol
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

Redundancy

Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

srsaunde,

I always hit the Scholastic Warehouse sales. They are wonderful. The dollar tables are incredible, especially when you need to replace books that are overused.

MrsCroak,

Welcome to the Budget Club!
Redundancy is offline   Reply With Quote