Help

ARCHIVE

Cooking Theme

>

Newbie06

Cooking Theme
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

While trying to enjoy my summer my brain is racing for additional ideas for my classroom theme next year. I plan on doing something with cooking, or chefs... something along those lines. My hallway bulletin will feature an outline of a chef with a serving platter and coming off the the platter will be my title "Serving Up Success in 5th Grade." I will use a red and white checked tablecloth as my background with a black boarder. I am going to hot glue spoons and forks to the boarder. When students return in the fall I plan on taking their picture wearing a chef's hat, or an apron, or holding a mixing bowl and wooden spoon to add to the board. I will also have the students write their own "recipe" on How to be a Successful Student on actual recipe cards and place them under their pictures on the bulletin board.

However... I don't know how else to incorporate this theme. I'm in search for any and all suggestions you may have to help enhance this theme. Title for classroom jobs -- perhaps something with a waitress? hostess? And an area/board to display good work -- "Look What we Cooked Up?? These are what I am working with and any additional support and ideas are very much welcomed! Thank you!

Newbie06 is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Cooking Theme
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe for your schedule...Daily Menu
Waiting for a turn on the computer or other area...Reservations
Main lesson for the day...Entree
Warm-ups...Appetizers
Centers or extra activities...Side Dishes
Earned free time or special projects...Desserts
Behavior Monitoring...Check, Please!
Displaying work...Rave Reviews from the Critics
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Really Good Stuff
Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They have a cool new set of bulletin board stuff called "Cooking up a Great Year"
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote
bbassteacher

bbassteacher

Ideas
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm doing this theme too and someone gave me the idea of a back to school bulletin board that says "I'm a pizza the __ grade" with big slices of pizza. On the pizza crust if the student's name and on the pepporoni is that student's interests. Also I made up a lot of stuff at the end of last year like a newsletter template, reading cafe poster, ect. but I can't get into my school files yet. The earliest I can get them is the middle of July, but as soon as I can get to them I'll post everything. If you do find some more ideas post them - I need some help too!

1956BD

Old 07-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ask several resturants to give you a sample menu or more. Decorate with them. Pull them down to do some menu math in class.

1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

hhillhs

Posters
Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are several cute food posters on the Upstart website. I saw it on an earlier post.

You could also do something with the "Special of the Week" or "Baking Up ____" (can't think right now). Your homework board could be "To Go" with a Chinese to-go box??

There have been several posts about a cooking theme in the last few months, so check out the archive (or just back a few pages) to get some other good ideas. Good luck...love the theme!!
hhillhs is offline   Reply With Quote

teachersheart

food theme
Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

reallygoodstuff.com also has something call "Deli Delicious Student Work Display Set" (magnetic). There's an olive jar that says "Ah" Love This! and a bag of salad that says "Let Us take a Look!". There's several others too. There's also a set of tasty toppers with assignment reminders that are magnetic too.
teachersheart is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

wooden spoon
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't know if you have a community circle/target talk, bit it would be cool to have a 'talking spoon'- pass the wooden spoon around and that person has the floor.
Just a thought.
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie06

Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I can't wait to start setting things up!. bbassteacher, when you do get into your school I would love to take a look at what you started to create if you wouldn't mind. Any and all other ideas I hear, find, or create I will be sure to post. Thanks to all who have shared suggestions, I appreciate it!!

Newbie06

MOOSE Binder
Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also thought I would create one of those binders teachers are raving about.. the ones that help teach organization skills. They are mostly known as M.O.O.S.E binders and I forgot what MOOSE actually stands for. But anyway, to go along with my cooking theme I decided to have a C.H.E.F.S Binder! Same concept as the MOOSE binder, but a different acronym that fits my theme. C.H.E.F.S stands for Children Have Everything For Success! That way, everything is this binder will contain materials that will make them successful. Homework assignments, calander of events for the month, space for parent communication, behavior tracking log... and other items I can't remember off the top of my head. Anyway, I was excited that I can up with my own C.H.E.F.S acronym and had to share!

kseal

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm also doing the cooking theme this year. Keep posting your ideas I think they are great!
kseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie06

Thanks!!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am so thankful to everyone who has commented and added their suggestions. I am def. going to use them in my classroom. However, I am still looking for a title for my newsletter, and a way to track AR progress. And of course, any other area of the classroom that could be used to incorporate my theme as well. I ust want the room to be really inviting for my students. Any other ideas are welcomed!! Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas already!

hhillhs

Newbie...
Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What does your last name start with? I'm trying to think of a title for your newsletter, and maybe that will help!

Off the top of my head...maybe you could format it to look like a to-go menu (not sure how)?

Newbie06

Last Name
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My last name starts with an S... who knew naming a newsletter could be so involved LoL.. thanks for the help!!

hhillhs

Newsletter
Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Ok, I'm drawing a blank on the newsletter, but you could use SKILLET for some sort of BB...something to do with "skills". I'll keep thinking, but I had to share that before I forgot!

hhillhs

newsletter
Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

OK the name didn't really help , but what about these?

A Slice of News (with a picture of a pie slice)

S___'s Specials

"Soup"er News (with a pot of soup)

Newbie06

So Creative!!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

All these ideas are wonderful!

Newbie06

How Can I Decorate My Door?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Alright, now that I have some idea of what to incorporate in my classroom itself, I am looking for a way to decorate my door. Perhaps a catchy title? Cute picture? Again, something related to cooking. I saw on a previous post something about "A Great Batch Of Cookies" but I don't know if that would work for 5th graders. I just need some type of decoration, my bulletin board will my students name on it with their picture, so this is just more for visual pleasure. Thanks for any ideas!
teach9580

teach9580

CHEFS Book
Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thank you! That is a great idea. I have been racking my brain for a cooking acronym. I had come up with C.O.O.K. Book (Consciencous, Organized, Observant Kids) but I like yours WAY better!
teach9580

teach9580

A Great Batch of Cookies
Old 07-17-2008, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have taught 5th grade for 5 years and trust me, anything with food the kids will love!!!! They go hand in hand! Maybe do a mixing bowl with like some sprinkly sparkles (we have a tub of the waste from the binding machines) coming out of it and say somehting like Mixing up a Great Batch of Kids. Have a great year. 5th grade is a lot of fun!

mac5769

more ideas
Old 07-20-2008, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The first and second grade teachers are setting a common cooking theme this year. Each of us has decided to decorate outside our classroom doors with a restaurant genre, Italian, Mexican etc... I'm Irish so I'm setting up McNamara's Fish and Chips decorating with menus from a local seafood restaurant, nautical themed items and a bulletin board entitled "Gone Fishing...." Each child's name will be displayed on a fish. I'm also planning on using spatulas or other kitchen gadgets for boys' and girls' restroom passes. Our star of the week will now be "Top Chef." Each Friday the kids will create a simple recipe provided by our top chef that doesn't require cooking. Cookie sheets will be used in our centers for magnetic letters and sight words. We're also planning a greenhouse where each of us will hopefully plant a vegetable that can be used in an eventual salad. At Thanksgiving we'll be collecting foods for the foodbank, separating and sorting them into food groups, graphing how many we receive from the different groups and tallying our numbers. This is a school wide project coordinated by first grade. Hopefully this gives someone some new ideas.
mac5769 is offline   Reply With Quote