Quick Classroom Games/Energizers - ProTeacher Community

dmamec

Quick Classroom Games/Energizers
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would love to add some quick games to my collection--things to do when kids need a break from working, etc.

I know some of you play sparkle, etc.

One game I play is called "Group Juggle" where we stand in a circle and throw a small stuffed animal to a person in the circle. That person throws it to someone, etc. until everyone has had the animal.

Then we see how quickly we can do it, go backward, do it with no talking, etc. We also add in a second animal and so on.

What fun "GAMES" do you play? Let's see if we can't get a great collection going!

dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

KitePilot

Energizers
Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would these be something you are looking for?

http://www.ncpe4me.com/energizers.html
KitePilot is offline   Reply With Quote

cubbies

KitePilot
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful site! I recently retired and plan to sub this fall and needed some "fillers" of time and fun activities. This site certainly fills that bill! Thanks so much for sharing!
cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote

dmamec

Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great site, Kite!

anyone else?

I am going to try to make a book to keep by my easel this year for when I sense they have the wiggles!
dmamec is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Energizers
Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This isn't a game or website, but a book I use that is great for filling a minute with simple mind games is called Mind Joggers:

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Joggers-M...5556765&sr=8-1

I keep by my desk all the time and use it for brain breaks and for times when we are waiting to get called for an assembly, etc... I also leave it on my desk for a sub to use if they have extra time. My students love the activities and the activities take little prep or equipment.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kansasteacher

Great Book
Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Spencer Kagan's book "Silly Sports and Goofy Games" is really great. It has lots of quick games and variations, plus teambuilding activities for inside and outside. Some are out of your seat moving and other are not. Great variety in this fun book. I won it this summer at a conference and can't wait to use it this year.
kansasteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

One activity
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

that I do when we are waiting for the bus bell is a game we call "What do I like?" I think of some category such as things that hop or words with double consonants in the middle. I tell the kids some examples of what I like and some things I don't like. For example, if I am doing double consonants, I might say, "I like pepper, but not salt. I like kittens but not cats, etc." They raise their hand and give me an example of something I like. They aren't allowed to tell the category, just something I like. they think it's hysterical when they can use their names. For example, my sons are Grant and Collin. The kids would say, "you like Collin, but not Grant?" Of course, I have to agree, and they just howl. Some kids work really hard to figure out the category, others just call out anything. But they seem to enjoy playing over and over.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

NeeCee

Games
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I play 10,000 Pyramid with them in two teams where anyone can answer or choose one from each side of the room to play against each other--only for one question, they love it. It is easy to add categories or have them brainstorm new ones. I also play Verbal Jeopardy, epecially when in line for an assembly, waiting for Picture Day, etc. I just say a word or phrase that can have one or more responses in the form of a question, i.e. George Washington can generate, "Who was the 1st president?" "Who is pictured on the dollar bill?" If I say 24, they respond with "What is the product of 4 and 6?" or "What is 12 divided by 2?" Sometimes I use the same topic for everyone in the line and this makes them have to listen and not give the same response as someone else. You can tailor it to a novel you're reading, science, math, or social studies vocabulary, etc. My 6th graders love it!
Attached Files
File Type: doc 10,000 pyramid game.doc (48.5 KB, 109 views)
NeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

I'm thinking of...
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When we are waiting for a special teacher to show up or have a short down time, we may play "I'm thinking of..." I will usually give a multistep equation by saying (for example) "I'm thinking of a number that is 5x2+7-3+6." The kids follow along, doing the mental math in their heads (not really worried about order of operations here, and I'll give the equation slowly at first). When they think they've got it, they raise their hands and I call on someone (sometimes the one who was first, sometimes not.) Then I'll either do another or let them give an equation. We've also done this with reading...I'm thinking of a character who is female, likes the sea, has a cat, and is good at fixing things...
roo is offline   Reply With Quote