Teaching Prepositions - ProTeacher Community

dillardl

Teaching Prepositions
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the process of planning for the upcoming year. Does anyone have in fun lessons or ideas for teaching prepositions without using any worksheets? Our school does not allow worksheets of any kind. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

dillardl is offline   Reply With Quote

OKTeach1

Prepositions
Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I write prepositions on index cards and pass one out to each student. I give them time to read their word or get a friend to help them read the word. Then they come to the middle of the classroom where I have a chair. The students are told to show the word using the chair and their body. The children get pretty creative and have fun with these words. For example, if the word is "under". The child gets under the chair. The other children will guess their word. This is how I introduce prepositions to my first graders. I will also put the prepositions on our Smart Board. I have the kids write a sentence using one of the prepositions. I also show them the prepositional phrases in their sentences. I put their work on the Smart Board using my document camera and we read each prepositional phrase. We also use a program called Winston Grammar at my school to teach the parts of speech. The kids love it because the parts of speech are written on colored cards. I made a big set of cards that we use for whole group activities. The children love to take a sentence and use the cards to tell the part of speech of each word. If it is not a word that fits one of the cards we have learned they put a solid black card. We do a lot of work with sentences with the large cards and our Smart Board. I also have my students use the cards when they write to help them create longer and more interesting sentences. My students love it and call it a card game. It drives them crazy when they have to use a black card and bug me until I teach them a new part of speech. I am only supposed to teach nouns, articles, verbs, and adjectives, but I also teach prepositions, adverbs, and conjunctions. They are like little sponges when learning is fun! I hope this has given you some ideas.
OKTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Prepositions
Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went to a workshop once that had wonderful ideas on teaching grammar.

I don't teach English etc. It was not something I use every day. I did show it to other teachers and they loved itl

On the overhead draw a table.

They say the mouse is on the table and draw it.
The mouse is next to the table.
Under the table etc. Draw it.

The kids really remembered prepositions this way
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

kamehameha

Prepositions
Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do what Scottiestir suggested.

Then read Rosie's Walk to your students. I know, I know it is a primary book--but it is chalkful of prepositions.

Then I have my students write their own Rosie's Walk book.

My example this year was Kitty's Walk

Kitty, the cat, went for a walk
through the kitty door
across the deck
under the bird bath
over the fence
around the house
and down the road just in time to catch a mouse.

My kids came up with such creative books like Spongebob's Walk, Superman's Fly, etc.
kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote

OKTeach1

Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Great idea! I am going to find that book! Thanks!

OKTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachKids853

dillardl:
Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A couple years ago when I was doing my student teaching I found that the best way (for me anyway) to teach prepositions to kids was to have them act it out (since they are 'doing words'. (Kind of like Charades...) Give them all an index card and have them act it out (and for those more 'shy' kids have them act it out with partners).
* Using props also make it enjoyable!!!
TeachKids853 is offline   Reply With Quote